Slow Goat....

What tire for mtb commute?

I commute 11miles round trip on my mtb bike. I also want to ride trails too. What tires have these dual purpose? I would commute with my road bike, but there is too much uneven pavement and occasional dirt paths to ride through. Plus my mtb bike is just too comfortable. Right now I have Nevegal 2.1 on front and Karma 2.0 in rear.
    Enjoy the lactic acid.....it's good for you

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I just bought a pair of Specialized Borough XC Sports. I like these tires because they are a little thicker than what I was using before. I went from 700cX 38, to 700X45. Overall the tire is pretty good. They have tread on the outside portion of the tire, but the very center is slick. My commute is 6 miles each way, on paved, unpaved road, and a lot of potholes, but about half of the way is on dirt,slight gravel. There are a lot of choices out there, depending on what you are looking for.

BIG and Bald
    I would look at the Specialized Crossroads. For a little more knob but low rolling resistance check out the Fastrack and the Resolution also by Specialized.
    [SIZE="2"][SIZE="3"]Eat to Live[/SIZE][/SIZE]...[SIZE="3"]not the other way around[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    ive recently equipped a cst copperhead 2.0 rear. it rolls fast, and performs well on trails. i think i have it on backwards, but it doesnt have a direction guide. this with a irc mythos xc front 2.1. i like this combo, though it does have limits offroad. the side lugs arent big on the mythos which can allow the front to slide out on fast and loose turns. and the cst doesnt get much grip on dust/dry hardpack cilmbs. but hey, the combo cost me $25 and saves my knobbies for where they should be.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Something that wears like iron. Saguaros might be good. Continuous central tread and they wear really slow.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Im a big fan of my Kenda Kwests. They are definitely a more street oriented tire, but i still ride 8 of my 45 miles on a limestone horse path and they hold their own. They surprised me with how well they worked in the rain yesterday as well.

Not just famous; infamous

Schwalbe Marathon Plus

Comes in 26x1.75" size, should wear a long time and is virtually impossible to flat. Downsides: they're expensive and heavy, and probably not great in loose conditions. I have a set on my 'cross bike for commuting and they're working out great.

http://www.biketiresdirect.com/produ...?p=SCMPM&st=bw

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by FireBallKY
    I would look at the Specialized Crossroads. For a little more knob but low rolling resistance check out the Fastrack and the Resolution also by Specialized.
    I have these on my SS MTB, and they are freakin' great commuter tires. But offroad, they can be really sketchy in loose stuff. I still haven't found a tire that does equally well for both conditions, since they're so contradictory.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I am using Continental Traffics on my mtn bike for commuting to work right now. They have been a great choice for a street tire, that can also do some light trail.

Air them up to 65psi and they roll almost silent!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    You should consider the Maxxis Crossmark if you want a fast, light XC trail tire that also commutes well

http://www.maxxis.com/products/bicyc...il.asp?id=2345

I just run dedicated slicks (Ritchey Tom Slicks 1.4"s) when I commute and swap 'em out to my knobbies when I want to mtb ..... of course, I'm still runnin' old school tires with tubes .... swapping them only takes a few minutes, really.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I just put some Kenda K-Rads 26x1.95 on my MTB/ commuter and they have held up very well. They allow more speed and roll great on pavement.The tires also have a checkered pattern that hold well on dirt. I have yet to take it out on a trail but I think they will be ok but not the best. The tires are also not that expensive.

mtbr member
    Highly recommend the Michelin Transworld City tires.

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...ls.php?id=1040

The reflective sidewall can be crucial, at times.

Reviews:

http://www.mtbr.com/cat/tires-and-wh...20_151crx.aspx

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    x2 on k-rads too, they work pretty well, they arent that good on wet wood

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I think you will have a hard time finding one tire that does both jobs well so would recomend picking up an inexpensive wheel set and have them set up so all you need to do is swap wheels when you want to ride something different.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I've had Maxxi Wormdrive Kevlars on for a couple weeks. Roll great on pavement, corner well, although they do slide around in loose dirt and sand. Haven't used them in wet conditions yet but I've been out on the local trails pretty extensively, as well as my daily commute (around 20 miles each way) and I'm happy with them.

I'm SUCH a square....
    Intense has the new Micro Knobby in 26x 2.25, lighter than a lot of 1.95 knobbies, and GRIP? R U F'N KIDDN ME? Like riding on rails!!! Now, because of the air pressure I run (60/60, I'm a clyde), they do tend to pinball in gravel/loose...

So far, I'm in LOVE!
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

x3 for the k-rads. I commute and do trails/dj with these. They can make landings a little sketchy though. It's the best/cheapest compromise tire I can find though.
    get to the choppa!!!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Maxxis Holy Rollers. Doing the job for me.

Cheezy Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by jddjirikian
    Highly recommend the Michelin Transworld City tires.

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...ls.php?id=1040

The reflective sidewall can be crucial, at times.

Reviews:

http://www.mtbr.com/cat/tires-and-wh...20_151crx.aspx
    I've been looking at those for a while, think I'll give them a shot. Too bad they're back-ordered.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Happy with Geax Roadsters - had them in some soft dirt, shallow mud, and lots of dirt road/crushed gravel/unmaintained bike trail type stuff without much problem. They look pretty slick but do a surprisingly good job at gripping. Only once did I feel a bit sketchy but I was on a sudden, unexpected, technical (but short) descent.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I use Continental Sport Contact slicks.
    I have two sets of wheels so just swap wheels when i go off road.
    Great tyres, fast rolling and very few punctures even though i encounter plenty of glass on my 30km round trip.
    They also last forever.

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    How about Continental Travel Contacts, they have: Slick centres for roads, knobs for light off road, they're long wearing, they're highly puncture resistant and have reinforced sidewalls.
    Link: http://www.conti-tyres.co.uk/conticycle/ti%20travel%20contact.shtml

mtbr member
    +2 on the Michelin Transworld City tires. I have em on mtb commuter and really like them.
    LIVE TO RIDE - RIDE TO LIVE

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I use Serfta Drifters 26x1.5 and they work great.