mtbr member
    Jun 2008

What size slicks?

Hey,

I recently bought a used 2000 Raleigh MTB and I want to switch my knobby 1.80" tires with a pair of slicks. The problem is I don't know exactly what slicks I should look for and what size will work. The bike rim says 26"x1.50" so I don't know if that means the max tire size I should go for are 1.50" slicks. Help me por favor!!!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    if it came with 26x1.8 knobbies, then 26x1.8 or 1.5 slicks should be fine. if you go to REI or some other store with a good return policy, buy from there and make sure it fits.

side note: my wheels originally came with 1.8 knobbies, but i've put everything from 2.3 knobbies to 1.5 slicks on them. some are harder to put on than others, but they all fit and seat ok.

BIG and Bald
    Specialized Nimbus or the Hemispheres
    [SIZE="2"][SIZE="3"]Eat to Live[/SIZE][/SIZE]...[SIZE="3"]not the other way around[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Bontrager makes a completley slick 26 x 1.5. cost 20.00

michelin makes a tire specifically for commuting in a 1.85 with a tread similar to a motorcycle tire. It also features a reflective strip around the tire. cost 24.00
    LIVE TO RIDE - RIDE TO LIVE

mtbr member

MTB'muter Slicked Down

I personally like the 26X1.40 Michelin XC Road and you should be just fine with your 1.50rim.
    I too took off my MTB-tires to mount up the slicks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone, but I jumped the gun a week or two ago and went to my LBS. Talked with a friend that was working there and he showed me a pair of Kenda Kwest 1.5. I went with his word and took them. After 3 days of commuting to work (4 miles one way) and running errands at the campus (~1 mile one way) I'm starting to like these tires. Comparing to the old tires, 1.8 Panaracer Fire Mud Pro, I feel as though I'm covering more ground, pedaling much easier on inclines, and the slicks are practically silent!! I've used these tires when it rained in the area and I thought it did a pretty good job. I felt slightly insecure due to being a new tire and fearing I might lose traction, but it never happened. I just let myself believe the tread helped me push through the water (if it's true, that's good... if not, oh well).

Downsides: This is a heavy tire compared to the Mud pros! 180g difference each tire = 360g total difference.

Other than that, 40 bucks for a pair of slick tires was a good deal! I like them.