Moderator Moderator

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    When you come up to them on a stoplight, pull out your own phone and crash into their sidemirror and say "Sorry, I was using my phone while biking."

mtbr member
    Yes, there is little to be gained by pointing out unsafe activity. People who know they are in the wrong often get very aggressive in defending the indefensible. Witness the car and the pedestrian incident.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Take off your shoe and mimic them speaking into it. Lately people pulling or pulled over using them bin bugging me and those GPS guided zombies walking along with one held out in front of them.

mtbr member
    Not much you can do, unfortunately. When driving, it's sometimes fun to give them a little honk when they're at an intersection, it often startles them back into reality. I have a friend who, when he is the second car at a red light with nobody going through the other way and the person in front of him is on their phone, will beep. They sometimes go right through the red light thinking they must not have been paying attention because they are on their phone. Not the safest thing to do, I certainly don't condone it, but amusing as long as there's no accident.

sheep in FOX clothing
    Driving while on the phone has been illegal here since 2011.

I'd say roughly 25% of drivers are on the phone here at any given time, and that's just the ones that are actually holding a headset against their ear... so it doesn't include the number that are texting or surfing the interwebz with the phone on their lap.

Like speeding, it has become something that motorists feel they are entitled to do as taxpayers, and the law is just an attack on their rights and a police cash grab. Anyone who questions them may be subject to an escalating confrontation.

So what do you think I do?

mtbr member
    When cell phones were not that common and still the size of big fudgesicles, I heard of someone pulling around the drifting and non-constant speed driver, them jumping on the brakes and timing a mashed accelerator to avoid the rear-end collision. Woke the driver-phone-user up 'right now'! Not too courteous, but I don't think any moving violation could be pinned on him, either. Not an option on a bike, though. I saw a dolt on a cell phone follow another car through a 4 way stop with me to his right and with right of way as if there was a green light. Terrible! I had to actually stop! I wonder how he'd have responded to a water bottle hitting the side of his Bimmer?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Stay the hell away!

Whenever I see someone talking on their phone while driving, that's my cue to give them a wide berth.

You can give them some $hit too, but why bother. You're not going to change their behavior, IMO.

high plains drifter
    Freeway salute
    Humble self-proclaimed nothing.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mattgVT View Post
    Stay the hell away!

Whenever I see someone talking on their phone while driving, that's my cue to give them a wide berth.

You can give them some $hit too, but why bother. You're not going to change their behavior, IMO.
    Last night there was this douchebag driver who was surfing the internet on his smartphone. There was already the peak rush hour traffic and this douche-bag isn't making it easier because when the traffic moves, it takes him 4-5 seconds to react because of the beeping behind him. When I passed him, I shone 500 lumens helmet light at his face, made the texting gesture with my right hand (texting on an invisible cellphone) followed by the one-finger salute.

I'm pretty sure he knew why he got the finger.
    Last edited by Gundam168; 08-03-2013 at 04:20 AM.

mtbr member
    There used to be a company that sold a pocket sized signal jammer for use in theaters and restaurants. The idea was that it you wouldn't hang up, they'd do it for you. Probably still available somewhere on the net. If the range was large enough, it could be useful to have on while riding.
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Wink Those jammers are the tits!

Quote Originally Posted by junior1210 View Post
    There used to be a company that sold a pocket sized signal jammer for use in theaters and restaurants. The idea was that it you wouldn't hang up, they'd do it for you. Probably still available somewhere on the net. If the range was large enough, it could be useful to have on while riding.
    My brother-in-law has one. It has come in very handy when people are disturbing everyone around. Of course we never abuse our power .

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    This thread just gave me a good idea...

Several months ago I bought a 300mw green laser pointer to play around with. It's pretty cool because you can point at things in far distances and the beam and the point can be seen even in daylight...

What Should I Do When I See People Using Phones?-2011new-200mw-green-laser-pointers.jpg

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by junior1210 View Post
    It should be standard equipment - how great would it be to have a force field of phone jamming around you?

oot & aboot in Colorado
    Aug 2010

What Should I Do When I See People Using Phones?

Not condoning this but it made me laugh...

Chick in SUV yacking on cel phone comes up to a stop sign at a T. She doesn't notice the jogger coming from her right and starts to go, almost hits him (the jogger banged on the hood with his fist as she jammed the brake). The jogger never breaks stride, crosses in front of her, around to her door, reaches in and snatches her cell phone out of her hand and SPIKES it like a football and jogs away.

I almost pee'd my pants laughing as phone parts shattered all over the street.

.mobile

mtbr member
    there's a part of me that wants to put a gun holster on my bike. I don't want to carry a gun in it, but having it there might send the message that I don't want to be fked with.

mtbr member
    Unfortunately cell phones are now all too commonplace. Just another example of people having no sense of their own mortality. Way too many people have the "it won't happen to me" attitude. People don't take driving seriously enough, it's kind of scary.

Quote Originally Posted by Geek View Post
    Not condoning this but it made me laugh...

Chick in SUV yacking on cel phone comes up to a stop sign at a T. She doesn't notice the jogger coming from her right and starts to go, almost hits him (the jogger banged on the hood with his fist as she jammed the brake). The jogger never breaks stride, crosses in front of her, around to her door, reaches in and snatches her cell phone out of her hand and SPIKES it like a football and jogs away.

I almost pee'd my pants laughing as phone parts shattered all over the street.

.mobile
    Amazing. I would have paid to see that.