mtbr member

what rack for my commuter/ touring rig??

hey guys i just purchased a new 2014 trek cross rip comp, and as soon as my winter sports season ends i will be riding from the southern tip of Florida to the northern tip of NC. but in the mean time i will be using the bike to ride to and from school, work, and to the grocery store, as my general commuter bike. i will need to buy a rack that is light, sturdy, and can handle a light tour. i am looking at the following racks:

Topeak super tourist dx
    soma deco rear rack
    axiom journey
    axiom transit
    planet bike eco
    planet bike koko

which one is the most versatile one out of the bunch, and can anyone tell me which one is best???

thanks, chris
    14 years, 6 bikes, 1 ambulance ride, 12 medals, 4 ribbons, 2 trophies, and some cool scars = BIKING ADDICTION!!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I have been very happy with my Racktime Addit rack for the price. I like how the tail light is protected by the rack that a lot of other racks don't offer. It seems very heavy duty for everything I have used it to carry. I realize it isn't one of the lightest (compard to Tubus) or the ones you list above, but I can recommend this rack because of the experience I have using it. Good luck with your search and decision.

Amazon.com: Carrier Racktime Addit (Design: black hard anodised, 745 size 28"): Sports & Outdoors

mtbr member
    Keep in mind, you'll need a rack that is compatible with disc brakes to work with that frame.

Just kidding: the frame has the caliper mount on the CS. Rack away with what ever you like.

weirdo
    No idea about any of those racks (probably any would do just fine), but I hope you have a great ride. I love bike touring!
    Recalculating....

mtbr member

what rack for my commuter/ touring rig??

I've always had good luck with axiom products, reasonably priced and they last.

Love my Portland Design Works rack.

Buddy Flaps

I got the lightweight aluminum one, but you can get it in steel, too, if you want a rack with more weight capacity. It's not a cheap rack, but it looks good and is perfectly functional. I have kitty litter bucket hard panniers I carry with mine. There's a little tab on the back for a light. I use a Magicshine rear lamp, which is made to strap around a round tube like a seatpost. I cut a bit of PVC, bolted that to the rack, and strap the light onto it. You can see it in the pic.

jl
    climb
    One of these.

Bike Racks
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    okay so i have the list narrowed down to the pdw payload rack, soma deco, and the planet bike koko. yesterday afternoon on the way home from work i spotted the koko rack on a bike that was locked up near my work place, and it was truly a good looking rack. anyone use the koko?? and also the soma rack and the pdw racks are build the same way meaning that they are going to be long off the back of the bike. anyone own the soma deco??
    thanks,
    chris
    14 years, 6 bikes, 1 ambulance ride, 12 medals, 4 ribbons, 2 trophies, and some cool scars = BIKING ADDICTION!!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Where are you going to be touring?
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Not guite sure where from yet but I am hoping to start in Florida along the coast and end in north Carolina on the coast. I'm still in the planning stages, and trying to get my stuff stored up for this trip.