Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member

What lights are you using for your commute?

Interested in what everyone is using for headlight/taillight on their commuter.

Tradere Scriptura Magister
    Bourbon: Because no good story ever started with "So, there we were eating salads".

mtbr member
    Taillights:

The Duchess:

DIY Rear lights about 100-120 lumens each:

With the Cygolite HotShot:

The beams were aimed a little high:

Now moved to rack mount and the HotShot lowered a bit:

Cross traffic view from video, helmet light off:

On the back of the helmet to clear shorter SUVs:

Streaking by the camera at driver's eye height with the helmet light on:

DIY Headlights, 1 Cree XML and 900 lumens each, New amber "snoots" and brake pad remount since pic:

Beam:

DIY narrow stacked beam Headlamp, 1 Cree XPC and 2 XPG's, About 500 lumens:

Beam:

All lights, no flash:

http://imageshack.com/a/img689/4444/img0172uo.jpg

Errand bike:

DIY Dynamo headlight:

Fresnel lens makes a nice cut-off:

Sturmey Archer 90 mm Drum Brake & hub dynamo:

Rear a Planet Bike Turbo on the fender and two PDF Radbot 1000s on seat stays.

Did not turn the fender light on this video:

Last edited by BrianMc; 10-20-2013 at 06:02 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

I use Gemini lights, mostly.

Gemini Olympia on the handlebars. Gemini Duo on the helmet.

Gemini Titan with a red beam shaping lens under the saddle, pointed rearwards.

I also use a Blackburn Mars 4.0 rear mounted on the seatpost.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I'm a Bausch & Meuller fan. I have 2 sets of dynamo lights from them... The first set I got was the IQ CYO RT headlight paired with the Toplight Line rackmount tail light. The second set was the same tail light paired with the new Lumotec-B headlamp. The Lumotec is pricy, but VERY NICE.

weirdo
    B&M Cyo in front, Seculite in back with a Superflash bungied to my helmet for backup, bad traffic, or bad visibility. Love it and no plans to change.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Was running a Superflash on the rear until it decided enough was enough and leapt from the bike...now running a cheapie Bell Walmart special. In the front using a MagicShine knockoff I picked up on Amazon. Nothing super fancy but it does the trick of seeing and being seen. Last winter the LBS ipiwner said he could see me >1/2 mie away between the two lights. Although I've been thinking about some upgrades/changes but there's other things I need I spend my cash on unfortunately.

Natural Born Killer
    I'm currently running a hodge-podge of lights, but I'm in the process of building a set of Cree XM-L handlebar mounted lights. I also just purchased a Lenser H7 LED headlamp that I've mounted on my helmet. I'm very pleased with it so far. It's got lever on the light itself to adjust for a spot or wide beam. There is also a lever on the battery pack to adjust intensity from 25-200 lumens. With the 3 AAA battery pack mounted on the back of the helmet it, balances out fairly well. Battery life on high is supposed to be about 5 hours. For $35 shipped, I think it's a great deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skrufryder View Post
    Silly rabbit Jack Daniel drinking donkey kissing caterpiller

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Magicshine MJ-816E front, and 818 rear. Bright, and they share a battery (which is convenient but also a possible common point of failure).

mtbr member
    Headlight: NiteRider MiNewt 600 for the commute and MagicShine MJ818 for longer night rides or mountain biking

Taillights: NiteRider Solas on the seatstay and Planet Bike Superflash Turbo on the helmet

jrm
    mtbr member
    L&M Taz 1200 up front and a cateye blinky in back. At first i was using the high or 1200L setting but it seems as if i get better response from drivers using the 500 L strobe mode instead.

CheesyRider
    Fenix BT-20 in front and Planet Bike Superflash Turbo in back.
    Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think.

mtbr member
    I've got a Princton Tec Apex headlamp strapped to my helmet, a chepo LED flashlight strapped to the handlebars to flood the trail or act as a front blinky. I've got two small red LED blinkers in back along with a Princeton Tec Swerve tail light in back. I am thinking that I need to move one of the blinkies up to my helmet, but apart from that, the combo has worked quite well for my fall, winter, and spring riding here in Alaska where we seem to need lights a bit more than many other places for much of the year.

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by Straz85 View Post
    Headlight: NiteRider MiNewt 600 for the commute and MagicShine MJ818 for longer night rides or mountain biking

Taillights: NiteRider Solas on the seatstay and Planet Bike Superflash Turbo on the helmet
    Headlight: NiteRider MiNewt 600 on the bars, NiteRider Lumina 700 on the lid for trails.

Taillights: NiteRider Solas on the helmet(flashing) and NiteRider Solas on the bike (solid)

I've been more than happy with NiteRider products. Small USA company with great service.

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Front: Cygolite Expilion 800 USB
    Rear: Planet Bike Superflash

Moderator Moderator
    Lupine Piko's on the helmet and bars, Dinotte on the left seatstay & Princeton Tec Swerve on the backpack.

mtbr member
    2 led flashlights from harbor freight mounted with live strong bracelets. Suprisingly bright lol Do i win most ghetto award?

mtbr member

No, because I'm running two Ozark Trail lights from Wally World attached with hose clamps from the plumbing section.

It's a tie.

Bourbon: Because no good story ever started with "So, there we were eating salads".

mtbr member
    Name:  9278767751_46a45f9acf.jpg
Views: 872
Size:  116.5 KB

now run them under the bar since im now using trekking bars. $5 a pop so i cant complain

mtbr member

Nice.

Talentless Hack
    The $30 Magicshine knockoffs.

A price-point at which a backup headlight remains a good idea.

But damn, they're bright for $30.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

since 4/10/2009
    I have an early Magicshine on the front, around 500 lumens on high, and a Magicshine taillight on the rack, throwing I think around 200 lumens (both running on blink). Attached to a Geoman 6Ah battery pack for quite a long runtime. I also have a Blackburn blinkie I will use additionally. Sometimes attached to the pack, but I don't think it has a good visibility angle there. I have been using it on the seatpost, but that location doesn't make it easy to put things on top of the rack. Going to put it on my helmet next.

I want to put some sort of self contained light/battery combo on the helmet for a front steady light, also. Something with a little bit lower output, but longer runtime. Maybe 200 lumens tops. The NR Lumina Flare, on low (roughly 200 lumens) claims a 5.5hr runtime, and the Lumina 350 claims 6hr on low (125 lumens). The Lumina Flare comes with a helmet mount. So does the MiNewt Mini 350, and it's got settings in the right neighborhood. Unfortunately, the Lumina 350 doesn't come with a helmet mount, so I'm not sure if I could get one as an extra accessory for that light.

I also want one of those long, narrow lights to put on the non-drive chainstay (on steady).

mtbr member

I'm thinking of going with a Magicshine knockoff, two blinkies on front, a large steady red and a small blinkie on back, and I'm working on attaching a string of LEDs to my backpack, since I don't ride without it, and rarely go off road.

mtbr member
    Minewt 750 on the handlebar- this light has magically died on me during the day while working and suddenly does not work when I go to leave at night, so I carry a backup. I have contacted Niterider about this.

Solarforce LP2 flashlight with a Two Fish bracket- backup light in case the Minewt fails.

Tiny blinky zip-tied to the front of my helmet.

Superflash x2, one on the seatpost and one attached to the back of my helmet by o-ring

Cateye something... strapped onto the back of my rack.

Knog Frogs- white one on my front hub and red on the back. don't know how much good these do, but they look cool.

Bedwards Of The West
    My single Superflash on the seatpost is plenty for my very rural commute. People that have talked to me about seeing me on my morning commute have consistantly brought up the fact that they saw me from so far out they thought there was a police car on the side of the road way up ahead

In a rural environment you're not really competing with any other light sources, so I have never felt the need to be crazy about my light sources.

I use a Planet Bike Blaze 2 watt headlight up front. I definitely want a nice 'trail-worthy' headlight for hitting the trail on the mountain bike though. The Blaze is great for the dark commute, but it doesn't cut it on the trail (I've tried).
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Serfs thunderbolt front and rear both set to flash then a exposure helmet light(900lm).

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I use a B&M Luxos B (on at all times) and added a Cygolite Metro that I use in flash mode during the daytime, and either the flickering "Steadypulse" mode or steady-burn at night. The Luxos is a good light for dark rural highways, but it doesn't put a lot of light above the horizon, so the Cygolite's more indiscriminate beam pattern makes a good "see-me" booster and provides redundancy.

If I'm on training commutes that involve fast rural descents with a threat of deer collisions, then I may switch from the Cygolite to the DiNotte 1200+ as the second light. But what's even more useful against deer, is a helmet light. The most visible part of a deer is its reflective eyes, and retroreflective stuff shows best when the light source is close to one's eyes. So for that role, I just rubber-band my S-Mini XP-G flashlight to my helmet and make sure to switch it on and sweep for deer on the descents.

For the rear, I presently use a Hotshot hard-mounted to the seatpost so it's aimed right, and may clip a second one to my trunk bag. I also have a Fibre Flare I'll clip to my pannier for shopping trips... these are a fiber-optic omnidirectional light that use two AAAs (so rechargeables are an economical option). I got it off Ebay. They also come in other colors, including amber.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Front on the bar - Niterider Lumina 350
    Rear on the seatpost - BlackBurn Flea 2.0

I run the rear blinker all the time on the way in and home. Headlight only on the way home. I work the second shift, so leaving work at 11:30pm and you need that headlight. Both have USB charging and can charge off the cellphone charger I keep in my bag which is very convenient.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I use the Niterider 700, on the low setting since my commute is a city commute with street lights...but if I ever hit a dark stretch of road, the brighter setting are there.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Tan&Green View Post
    I use the Niterider 700, on the low setting since my commute is a city commute with street lights...but if I ever hit a dark stretch of road, the brighter setting are there.
    Do you ever get flashed by oncoming traffic with that 700? On the middle setting of my 350, I got flashed three times in one night. It's bright, but c'mon, it is just a bike light!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    You might want to check where your light is aimed. It should be aimed down at the road, not up into the eyes of cars. If drivers are flashing you, you might have your light aimed to high. Check your municipality for the laws and codes that are applicable where you ride... It may be illegal to have your light focused to high.

I'd rather be on my bike
    I have mine angled down slightly, to avoid drivers. I may need further adjustments.

mtbr member

I've not had any issues with my 1000+ lumen 3 XLM headlight, even when angled almost parallel with the ground. I have been bright flashed when walking around with my SureFire headlamp, which I didn't expect.

mtbr member
    ^^ I found it helpful to shine the lights at a garage door or wall to see how high the beam is going. (Second post, this thread.) I have also leaned the bike against something with the lights on and walked away from it and back at the same next lane distance a driver would be, both crouching down (Miata) and standing (Expedition), to get a sense of how these drivers would see me. I decided to rein in a bit of the side output with an amber pill bottle cut to fit. That gave me yellow side markers as well as cut the glare way down for oncoming but didn't sacrifice lighting in front of me. A video camera with decent night capabilities can also help sort out what works best while offending least. See thread on wheel tape for recent ones.

Moderator Moderator
    I’ve gotten a couple compliments on my lights recently. One lady had just parked her car and commented “I like your lights. There is no doubt about what you are”. The next was a pedestrian in the crosswalk when I stopped to let him cross. You’d think he would be annoyed by the helmet light at about his eye level and the flashing bar light, but he said “I like your lights”. I think there are enough unlighted cyclists around that people appreciate the effort at visibility.

mtbr member

I think I'm gonna head down to Hobby Lobby and buy some battery powered Christmas lights and wrap 'em around the frame. Then I'll be visible AND jolly.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    My wife came home rattled last week after nearly running over a ninja cyclist. Any lights are better than none.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    I think there are enough unlighted cyclists around that people appreciate the effort at visibility.
    I may not have had such outward compliments for my lights, but I make the same sorts of conclusions based on the amount of space drivers give me at night when I'm lit up. I think they do appreciate the effort I take to be visible when there are so many ninja salmon they have to worry about.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Texan-n-Fla View Post
    I think I'm gonna head down to Hobby Lobby and buy some battery powered Christmas lights and wrap 'em around the frame. Then I'll be visible AND jolly.

The battery compartments/controllers on those things are pretty wimpy. I had something similar actually designed to be put on a bike (Bike Glow) and it fell apart, in spite of being wrapped in a cushioned pouch and put under the saddle. I will use one for the occasional special ride, but not for regular use anymore.

mtbr member

I won't be doing it for any length of time, but I think it will be a fun way to bring about Advent and the holidays, especially now that my commute is both ways in the dark. It's hard to be mad at a fella with green and red all over his bike.

mtbr member
    May 2013

AXA Luxx 70 Plus

I recently installed the AXA Luxx 70 Plus dynamo light. Have not tested the USB charging function yet, but am overall pleased with the light output while commuting on mostly well-lit streets. The horizontal cut-off optics are nice -- the lens directs the light onto the pavement and doesn't blind on-coming cyclists. I got a few compliments on the light from fellow commuters this week. I don't believe dynamo hubs and lights are very common in Montreal.

The automatic sensor functionality does not seem to be working, but I don't care, because I intended to have the light on at all times anyway. Since it's my first dynamo light, I don't have anything to compare the AXA to, but I also have a Herrmans H-One S in the mail for my "snow" bike, and I'll post my thoughts after I've used both.

The installation was easy. I drilled the OMM front rack and passed the wire through it instead of using tie wraps. It worked beautifully. (Pardon the crappy cellphone pictures).

What lights are you using for your commute?-photo-1.jpg

What lights are you using for your commute?-photo-2.jpg

What lights are you using for your commute?-photo-3.jpg

What lights are you using for your commute?-photo-4.jpg

What lights are you using for your commute?-photo-5.jpg

weirdo
    I like your bikes, Uberpower
    I usually don`t turn my lights off either. Never heard of Axa or Herrmans. Did you buy them from NA or ordered from Europe? And what hub is that? Nice idea routing inside the rack strut- I gave up trying to find hidden routing, eventually just went to taping computer and light wires to the fork leg. I do have a reatively slick routing method for my dyno powered tail light, which completely eliminated the snaggin problems I used to experience. I passed the wire through a piece of 1/4 inch irrigation line (black plastic that looks just like brake cable housing) and lay that tubing between two of the TT-routed cables, using a pair of plastic clips to keep it there. Did you make those skewer mounts on your racks youself?
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Just picked up a new light yesterday - Cygolite's Expilion 680 USB. Nice light for the money, overall. My initial take is available here.

I have to get some trail time with it to see what I really think about it, which I think I might try to do this weekend.

mtbr member
    Regarding aiming it, you have to remember that bike lights don't have a cutoff like car headlights. Make sure the whole hot spot of the light is aimed at the ground. I have a NiteRider MiNewt 600 (predecessor to the Lumina series, almost exactly the same thing) and never get flashed when keeping the hot spot aimed about 10' in front of the bike.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Straz85 View Post
    Regarding aiming it, you have to remember that bike lights don't have a cutoff like car headlights. Make sure the whole hot spot of the light is aimed at the ground. I have a NiteRider MiNewt 600 (predecessor to the Lumina series, almost exactly the same thing) and never get flashed when keeping the hot spot aimed about 10' in front of the bike.
    That's about the same aiming strategy I use for my Magicshine. Never flashed by a car once I started aiming it that way.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    I like your bikes, Uberpower
    I usually don`t turn my lights off either. Never heard of Axa or Herrmans. Did you buy them from NA or ordered from Europe? And what hub is that? Nice idea routing inside the rack strut- I gave up trying to find hidden routing, eventually just went to taping computer and light wires to the fork leg. I do have a reatively slick routing method for my dyno powered tail light, which completely eliminated the snaggin problems I used to experience. I passed the wire through a piece of 1/4 inch irrigation line (black plastic that looks just like brake cable housing) and lay that tubing between two of the TT-routed cables, using a pair of plastic clips to keep it there. Did you make those skewer mounts on your racks youself?
    Thanks!! Great idea for the rear light wiring - I have been too lazy to install one mainly because I couldn't think of a good method to not have exposed wire running along the frame. I will consider the irrigation line trick.

I bought the AXA light from Germany, since it's the only one I knew about that had the USB charger built-in, aside from the prohibitively expensive Luxos U. I like to use European bike lights, since most lights available here is North America are really just glorified flashlights that spill light in all directions and are horrendously annoying to oncoming motorists and cyclists alike.

The hub pictured is the Sanyo H27 -- a popular inexpensive commuter unit.

Finally, the rack is a rock-solid OMM Pioneer unit that came with the quick-release attachments. It's an overkill for this bike, but I also use it for the occasional dirt-road tour if I want to use a suspension fork.

Talentless Hack
    FWIW, A few years back I had a BMW driver tell me to "get that ****ing light out of his eyes" when using a non-flashing 1990s-era headlight that was maybe 25 lumens.

So... not every driver flashing headlights should be taken literally.

And these days if someone flashes the high beams at me, I usually flash my high beams back.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruiser View Post
    FWIW, A few years back I had a BMW driver tell me to "get that ****ing light out of his eyes" when using a non-flashing 1990s-era headlight that was maybe 25 lumens.

So... not every driver flashing headlights should be taken literally.

And these days if someone flashes the high beams at me, I usually flash my high beams back.
    I'll add some comments on the subject. I commute in a couple environments: city arterials (including high-turnover parking), and rural highways.

On the rural highway, with no other lights around, I take thought of my impact on oncoming traffic (pedestrians, cyclists, motorists). I know what it's like to have my night vision blasted, so I'll switch off my "high-beam" lights and run just the Luxos B or Cyo until they've passed. I've still been high-beamed even then, so... whatever. Sorry that my German-spec 250-lumen light is too much for your royal highness's eyes...

Unfortunately, because bicycles have short wheelbases, even small heaves and humps in the road can send my super-awesome German-engineered cutoff beam aimed right up into peoples' eyes, so there's a limit to what you can do. Other scenarios have the same effect, e.g. cresting a hill. I could shoot some illustrative videos on the subject. This one is sort of relevant, comparing some non-cutoff lights to a common American minivan:

Bike headlight versus car headlight: impact to oncoming viewer - YouTube

In the city, I don't worry about annoying anyone. I need to do everything practical to get noticed at all. 500-lumen strobe in the daytime? Sure, maybe people can see that in their fogged-up mirror before they throw their car door open into my path.

Here's a sample of my route, for perspective:

One environment I avoid is multi-user paths, which I view as a no-win situation. Pedestrians with no lights of their own will be blasted by any light you can reasonably ride 15mph with, and you're passing oncoming people at near-collision courses. I'll happily take an arterial, thanks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I just picked up a pair (red and white) of these suckers. First time I've ever ridden with lights on my bike.

Bontrager: Glo and Ember Multi-Use Lights (Model #11364)

The only reason I'm using lights is because ...ughhh... its the law ... and there have been a couple hit and run deaths recently in my area. I've realized in my 6 years of commuting that accidents and dangerous circumstances don't come up from a lack of visibility, they come from a lack of a driver attention, and no legal amount of lights will ever change that.

Sure I'll strap these lights on when it gets dark out, but there is no way in hell that I'm getting a bell. SORRY COPPERS!!!

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by KyamBoi View Post
    The only reason I'm using lights is because ...ughhh... its the law ... and there have been a couple hit and run deaths recently in my area. I've realized in my 6 years of commuting that accidents and dangerous circumstances don't come up from a lack of visibility, they come from a lack of a driver attention, and no legal amount of lights will ever change that.
    Guess you've never nearly run over a ninja salmon before, have you? Drunk ninja salmon? Didn't think so. Lack of visibility absolutely is a factor. If I see a bicycle with enough warning, I give them more space. And I've noticed the same when riding. When drivers see me, they give me more space, because they don't want to hit me, either. Amazing concept, really.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    Guess you've never nearly run over a ninja salmon before, have you? Drunk ninja salmon? Didn't think so. Lack of visibility absolutely is a factor. If I see a bicycle with enough warning, I give them more space. And I've noticed the same when riding. When drivers see me, they give me more space, because they don't want to hit me, either. Amazing concept, really.
    Well, to add an anecdotal rebuttal, I've been hit 3 times in broad daylight, and "visually ignored" countless other times during the day (the classic car turning right who doesn't check bike lane left before pulling into your lane). Never had one scuff at night and all I've ever had is a rear reflector. As always, when you are on a bike, if you aren't more aware than everyone else on the road, you are in danger.

Never heard that term though, but I've definitely been a drunk salmon (sans ninja) many a times. But I stand by my comment. If people aren't looking, they wont see.

The guy who died in my area was a hit and run. Do you know how they found him? Someone saw his lights at 630 in the morning in the ditch. He was killed by a negligent driver that didn't see a well lit bike late at night on an empty road. With all the drivers on their cell phones, I'm not putting any more eggs in my safety basket now that I'm rocking lights. Like I said, I'm only putting them on at night cause its the law. I'll continue to use my ears, peripheral vision, and body language to keep me safe. Pretending every driver is your grandma works too. Visions of SouthPark, at least there are no Country Kitchen Buffets close to my house.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast