Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member

What lights are you using for your commute?

Interested in what everyone is using for headlight/taillight on their commuter.

Tradere Scriptura Magister

mtbr member
    Taillights:

The Duchess:

DIY Rear lights about 100-120 lumens each:

With the Cygolite HotShot:

The beams were aimed a little high:

Now moved to rack mount and the HotShot lowered a bit:

Cross traffic view from video, helmet light off:

On the back of the helmet to clear shorter SUVs:

Streaking by the camera at driver's eye height with the helmet light on:

DIY Headlights, 1 Cree XML and 900 lumens each, New amber "snoots" and brake pad remount since pic:

Beam:

DIY narrow stacked beam Headlamp, 1 Cree XPC and 2 XPG's, About 500 lumens:

Beam:

All lights, no flash:

http://imageshack.com/a/img689/4444/img0172uo.jpg

Errand bike:

DIY Dynamo headlight:

Fresnel lens makes a nice cut-off:

Sturmey Archer 90 mm Drum Brake & hub dynamo:

Rear a Planet Bike Turbo on the fender and two PDF Radbot 1000s on seat stays.

Did not turn the fender light on this video:

Last edited by BrianMc; 10-20-2013 at 06:02 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

I use Gemini lights, mostly.

Gemini Olympia on the handlebars. Gemini Duo on the helmet.

Gemini Titan with a red beam shaping lens under the saddle, pointed rearwards.

I also use a Blackburn Mars 4.0 rear mounted on the seatpost.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I'm a Bausch & Meuller fan. I have 2 sets of dynamo lights from them... The first set I got was the IQ CYO RT headlight paired with the Toplight Line rackmount tail light. The second set was the same tail light paired with the new Lumotec-B headlamp. The Lumotec is pricy, but VERY NICE.

weirdo
    B&M Cyo in front, Seculite in back with a Superflash bungied to my helmet for backup, bad traffic, or bad visibility. Love it and no plans to change.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Was running a Superflash on the rear until it decided enough was enough and leapt from the bike...now running a cheapie Bell Walmart special. In the front using a MagicShine knockoff I picked up on Amazon. Nothing super fancy but it does the trick of seeing and being seen. Last winter the LBS ipiwner said he could see me >1/2 mie away between the two lights. Although I've been thinking about some upgrades/changes but there's other things I need I spend my cash on unfortunately.

Natural Born Killer
    I'm currently running a hodge-podge of lights, but I'm in the process of building a set of Cree XM-L handlebar mounted lights. I also just purchased a Lenser H7 LED headlamp that I've mounted on my helmet. I'm very pleased with it so far. It's got lever on the light itself to adjust for a spot or wide beam. There is also a lever on the battery pack to adjust intensity from 25-200 lumens. With the 3 AAA battery pack mounted on the back of the helmet it, balances out fairly well. Battery life on high is supposed to be about 5 hours. For $35 shipped, I think it's a great deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skrufryder View Post
    Silly rabbit Jack Daniel drinking donkey kissing caterpiller

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Magicshine MJ-816E front, and 818 rear. Bright, and they share a battery (which is convenient but also a possible common point of failure).

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Headlight: NiteRider MiNewt 600 for the commute and MagicShine MJ818 for longer night rides or mountain biking

Taillights: NiteRider Solas on the seatstay and Planet Bike Superflash Turbo on the helmet
    For Sale:
    -Pearl Izumi Barrier rain pants, new, mens medium: $75 shipped
    -Shimano triple crankset/isis BB $50 - PM me

jrm
    mtbr member
    L&M Taz 1200 up front and a cateye blinky in back. At first i was using the high or 1200L setting but it seems as if i get better response from drivers using the 500 L strobe mode instead.
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

CheesyRider
    Fenix BT-20 in front and Planet Bike Superflash Turbo in back.
    Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think.

mtbr member
    I've got a Princton Tec Apex headlamp strapped to my helmet, a chepo LED flashlight strapped to the handlebars to flood the trail or act as a front blinky. I've got two small red LED blinkers in back along with a Princeton Tec Swerve tail light in back. I am thinking that I need to move one of the blinkies up to my helmet, but apart from that, the combo has worked quite well for my fall, winter, and spring riding here in Alaska where we seem to need lights a bit more than many other places for much of the year.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Quote Originally Posted by Straz85 View Post
    Headlight: NiteRider MiNewt 600 for the commute and MagicShine MJ818 for longer night rides or mountain biking

Taillights: NiteRider Solas on the seatstay and Planet Bike Superflash Turbo on the helmet
    Headlight: NiteRider MiNewt 600 on the bars, NiteRider Lumina 700 on the lid for trails.

Taillights: NiteRider Solas on the helmet(flashing) and NiteRider Solas on the bike (solid)

I've been more than happy with NiteRider products. Small USA company with great service.

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Front: Cygolite Expilion 800 USB
    Rear: Planet Bike Superflash

mtbr member
    Lupine Piko's on the helmet and bars, Dinotte on the left seatstay & Princeton Tec Swerve on the backpack.

mtbr member
    2 led flashlights from harbor freight mounted with live strong bracelets. Suprisingly bright lol Do i win most ghetto award?

mtbr member

No, because I'm running two Ozark Trail lights from Wally World attached with hose clamps from the plumbing section.

It's a tie.

mtbr member
    Name:  9278767751_46a45f9acf.jpg
Views: 684
Size:  116.5 KB

now run them under the bar since im now using trekking bars. $5 a pop so i cant complain

mtbr member

Nice.

sheep in FOX clothing
    The $30 Magicshine knockoffs.

A price-point at which a backup headlight remains a good idea.

But damn, they're bright for $30.

I have an early Magicshine on the front, around 500 lumens on high, and a Magicshine taillight on the rack, throwing I think around 200 lumens (both running on blink). Attached to a Geoman 6Ah battery pack for quite a long runtime. I also have a Blackburn blinkie I will use additionally. Sometimes attached to the pack, but I don't think it has a good visibility angle there. I have been using it on the seatpost, but that location doesn't make it easy to put things on top of the rack. Going to put it on my helmet next.

I want to put some sort of self contained light/battery combo on the helmet for a front steady light, also. Something with a little bit lower output, but longer runtime. Maybe 200 lumens tops. The NR Lumina Flare, on low (roughly 200 lumens) claims a 5.5hr runtime, and the Lumina 350 claims 6hr on low (125 lumens). The Lumina Flare comes with a helmet mount. So does the MiNewt Mini 350, and it's got settings in the right neighborhood. Unfortunately, the Lumina 350 doesn't come with a helmet mount, so I'm not sure if I could get one as an extra accessory for that light.

I also want one of those long, narrow lights to put on the non-drive chainstay (on steady).

mtbr member

I'm thinking of going with a Magicshine knockoff, two blinkies on front, a large steady red and a small blinkie on back, and I'm working on attaching a string of LEDs to my backpack, since I don't ride without it, and rarely go off road.

mtbr member
    Minewt 750 on the handlebar- this light has magically died on me during the day while working and suddenly does not work when I go to leave at night, so I carry a backup. I have contacted Niterider about this.

Solarforce LP2 flashlight with a Two Fish bracket- backup light in case the Minewt fails.

Tiny blinky zip-tied to the front of my helmet.

Superflash x2, one on the seatpost and one attached to the back of my helmet by o-ring

Cateye something... strapped onto the back of my rack.

Knog Frogs- white one on my front hub and red on the back. don't know how much good these do, but they look cool.

I Ride for Donuts
    My single Superflash on the seatpost is plenty for my very rural commute. People that have talked to me about seeing me on my morning commute have consistantly brought up the fact that they saw me from so far out they thought there was a police car on the side of the road way up ahead

In a rural environment you're not really competing with any other light sources, so I have never felt the need to be crazy about my light sources.

I use a Planet Bike Blaze 2 watt headlight up front. I definitely want a nice 'trail-worthy' headlight for hitting the trail on the mountain bike though. The Blaze is great for the dark commute, but it doesn't cut it on the trail (I've tried).
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Serfs thunderbolt front and rear both set to flash then a exposure helmet light(900lm).

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast