mtbr member
    May 2008

What (if any) should I get for a commuter?

I have a 6 1/2 mile commute to work on a 4 lane paved road, with some gravel, dirt, bumps, and rolling hills. It usually takes me about 30 minutes on my Cobia and I'd like to cut it down 10 minutes but still have it be a comfortable ride.

What do you think would be a good bike for the commute? I'm might look at some road bikes on craigslist but am not sure if that would be too uncomfortable.

Custom User Title
    Feb 2008
    Specialized Sequoia is a road bike with a fairly ergo geometry. It's got a riser stem, "cyclocross levers" inline with the 105 flight-deck and full 105 geometry. It's got carbon fork, seatstays and seatpost with some special elstomere suspension that makes it feel awesome.

It hauls ass, and it's pretty comfortable.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I'd look into a decent cross bike and put some 32mm street tires on it. The fatter tires are very comfy and will handle poor pavement better than skinny tires; they are safer in the dark too. For a short commute like that a road racer would offer virtually no time advantage.

...from parts unknown
    Sep 2006
    Flat bar road (700c wheels) bike. Some (Scott Sub 10, for eg.) have disc brakes and can handle larger tires, and have carbon fork. Get one with rack and fender mounts. The better bikes of this breed combine the best of mountain, cross, and road bikes for general commuting on paved and gravel roads, and unpaved bike paths.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Cool, after reading up on it, I agree that Cyclocross seems like the best way to go. The Sequoia seems like a great bike, but I'll probably keep my eye out something used.

I wonder how much time it would cut off on my commute. I think I'd be able to make up the most time going up the slow rolling hills (my Cobia has knobby tires and weighs over 30lbs). I also converted it to a 1x9 so I currently have to coast down a couple of the hills.

Drunken fool
    Quote Originally Posted by jkoebel
    Specialized Sequoia is a road bike with a fairly ergo geometry. It's got a riser stem, "cyclocross levers" inline with the 105 flight-deck and full 105 geometry. It's got carbon fork, seatstays and seatpost with some special elstomere suspension that makes it feel awesome.

It hauls ass, and it's pretty comfortable.
    I bought a Sequoia for commuting and it's comfortable and much faster than a MTB on the road. I added some armadillo infinity tires and a rack and it's good to go. For a 6.5 mile commute though, I'd just use a hardtail MTB rather than buy another bike. Especially since you state it will include dirt and bumps. That is unless you don't already have a hardtail.
    You better take care of me, Lord. If you don't you're gonna have me on your hands.