Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617 LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,600 of 1618
    mtbr member
    Installed a new chain, kmc x1 instead of shimano hg53.
    Turned the front chainring around and had a new cog installed on my igh in the rear. Wanted to turn it around at first, but after we took it off and cleaned it, it looked so bad I rather had a new one installed.
    The old cog had 7100km on it.

-

Harold, that cowchipper looks good. iirc you had an on one midge before? Since I have a midge too I would be interested in a mid-term review, so after riding it for a few weeks and after finetuning everything.
    And good look for your century & training!

mtbr member

What have you done to your commuter today?

Made a bike rack under the car port area off our garage, for the commuters, cruisers, townies, etc. Used mostly old wood I had around, and bought only a 2x4 and 3 firring strips, and some metal eyelets to hold the kryptonite cables for locking.

mtbr member
    Nice work SVL! By the saddle heights I guess 7 bikes for 2 persons?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclingdutchman View Post
    Nice work SVL! By the saddle heights I guess 7 bikes for 2 persons?
    Nope. Family of five represented there. but my wife's bike is not in that shot other than the monster surf green cruiser (that I kinda hate because it is such a heavy, large pig) on the right. ( Looking at the pick showing the bikes from the rear.) My red commuter conversion from my old fisher is visible, as are two medium mountain bikes(Giant Trances) that are my teen boys'. (they are going back inside the locked garage for now, but were there for testing.) They (the boys) are both plus or minus my height. The boys' old hand me down Motobecane (chinese) is far left. My daughter's current Scott hardtail is just to the left of my wife's cruiser. The little white cruiser (my daughter's) is to be sold. My wife's old Fisher HooKooEKoo, will be retired to townie use and will take a spot. As will my wife's '87 Specialized Rockhopper, also for backup/townie use. My wife is getting a new mountain bike and the nicer, current mountain bikes will stay inside the garage I think.

the Rockhopper is going to go with my son as he leaves the home after finishing highschool and moves to Seattle, as his commuter. The old black chinese Motobecane will be the general townie/beater. As will my wife's HooKooEKoo.

EDIT: So yeah, we have lots of bikes.

since 4/10/2009
    I added an Arundel Looney Bin cage

Arundel Looney Bin by Nate, on Flickr

New job with a short commute I'll be biking a LOT more. My favorite travel coffee mug isn't bike-friendly, and I frankly don't want to put a cupholder on my bars. I have this other travel mug, a GSI which is also good for French press and loose-leaf teas, that seals pretty well. The commute is too short to worry about drinking on the ride, but I like to bring coffee along. New shop also lacks a coffee maker. Folks usually just go to the Starbucks which is only a 2 minute walk. That's too expensive for my daily joe, so I think I'm going to stash a bag of French press grounds at work so I can make some during the day when I feel the need. There is, at least, a way to boil water.

This GSI mug doesn't quite fit in a standard bottle cage. I made it fit the other day, but it wasn't a great fit. The Looney Bin handles it perfectly. I'll be testing it out on my commute tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    I added an Arundel Looney Bin cage

I'll be testing it out on my commute tomorrow.
    Let us know how it goes. I start a real job in a couple months(currently a grad student) and I suspect something like that may need to happen to avoid expensive or crappy coffee.

Typed on my phone. Pardon the autocorrect.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by fotooutdoors View Post
    Let us know how it goes. I start a real job in a couple months(currently a grad student) and I suspect something like that may need to happen to avoid expensive or crappy coffee.

Will do. I expect it'll go great and that this is exactly what I need.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by fotooutdoors View Post

It worked great this morning, and brought my empty mug home with no upsets.

I had a mishap and spilled some joe this morning before even finishing pouring it out of the pot, but the Arundel cage did its job. This will be getting used super regularly. Now to decide what beans I want to grind for French press and keep at work.

mtbr member
    ^ any early thoughts on the cowchipper?

I'd been running my flared-but-not-quite-as-flared-as-the-cowchipper dropbar on bike #3 for a few months now, but just switched back to the woodchipper last week. It's such a weird bar, but it might be a touch more comfortable than the other one.

I've finally got duplicates of everything - levers, tape, shifter mount, stem - so now I can switch the bars back and forth in ~15 minutes without messing anything up, so I forsee many pointless barswaps in my future.

Cycologist

I had a mishap and spilled some joe this morning before even finishing pouring it out of the pot, but the Arundel cage did its job. This will be getting used super regularly. Now to decide what beans I want to grind for French press and keep at work.
    Ok Harold, here's a challenge for you: Design a bike powered coffee grinder to go on your bike. Load it up with beans in the morning, ride to work, dump the freshly ground coffee into a french press (guess you'll have to purchase that), and enjoy.

chaz
    There are two types of people in this world:
    1) Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

Did I catch a niner+?
    I hope to be replacing my very worn out bb7s with some trp spykes this evening or the next. I was going to swap to another set of bb7s I have here that are practically new, but I am tired of the adjustments and constant rubbing. I swapped the bb7-r off my gravel bike for a set of TRP HYRD's and life is much better now.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    Ok Harold, here's a challenge for you: Design a bike powered coffee grinder to go on your bike. Load it up with beans in the morning, ride to work, dump the freshly ground coffee into a french press (guess you'll have to purchase that), and enjoy.

chaz
    Been done.

Gear Grinder: How to make the Most Hipster Coffee on the Planet - Bikerumor

Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    ^ any early thoughts on the cowchipper?

I'd been running my flared-but-not-quite-as-flared-as-the-cowchipper dropbar on bike #3 for a few months now, but just switched back to the woodchipper last week. It's such a weird bar, but it might be a touch more comfortable than the other one.

I've finally got duplicates of everything - levers, tape, shifter mount, stem - so now I can switch the bars back and forth in ~15 minutes without messing anything up, so I forsee many pointless barswaps in my future.
    The cowchipper as I have it set up is heavenly. I'm using ESI silicone bar tape with Fizik gel bar padding. Now that I've found my missing Endura gloves (with padding in the right places for me), my hands feel like they're on a cloud. Hand positions on the cowchipper are exactly what I need. The cowchippers are very short front-to-back, so I had to add a longer stem (which I had in my workshop already) to get my hands out where I needed them. The drop position on them is exactly what I wanted.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Thanks for the update. I will put it in my back of the mind list.

mtbr member
    I myself use a Contigo thermal mug that I put in my SKS Slide Cage. After 6-7 months no issue at all. Now that it is getting warm, I put very cold water in it on the way home, works just as well as hot tea in the morning.

I found some inspiration from this thread, which is before I joined here:
    Coffee on the commute

Harold, thanks for your report on the cowchipper so far.

Did I catch a niner+?

A 3D printed fork crown GoPro mount from shapeway and a LNM Urban GoPro mount, wonder what's going to happen next?

Update 05/27:

Added a set of TRP Spykes to replace my very old BB7s which I hated most of the time anyways. I am now Avid free.
    Last edited by Mr Pink57; 05-27-2016 at 12:55 PM.

since 4/10/2009
    I got some Clement X'plor USH tires on the way for my Vaya. Doing an 85 miler on Monday, and a century next weekend. I've been using HEAVY wire bead hybrid tires with a stiff puncture protection belt for years. They've been reliable, but not the most comfy tire, and not the best rolling.

The Clements should be puncture resistant enough for my needs, plus add comfort. The reduced weight, I think, will be the most important factor. 120tpi, folding bead. Should be nice and supple.

since 4/10/2009
    Got my Vaya's new shoes installed. Dropped about 2lbs of rotating weight (and it's still got tubes!) just by swapping tires. These are a touch narrower, but should make a HUGE difference for the long rides I've got coming within the next week. Tallying things up in my head, I think I'm going to hit 200mi on my Vaya within the next 7 days all told.

DSCF2679 by Nate, on Flickr

Thanks to Mr. Pink's posts about that Shapeways adapter, I bought one for my Vaya and my Magicshine light. Mine's a touch different, though. This one says it's for bikes with disc brakes, which looks like it means it just doesn't have clearance for a regular road caliper. I also bought a Shapeways Cree light GoPro adapter, but it's more or less poo. It won't fit my Magicshine, and it won't fit my other Chinese LED light. So to get everything set up, I had to steal a vancbiker machined alu adapter from another light I have. I guess I'm just going to have to order another one of those for the light I took this one from.

since 4/10/2009
    Harold, that cowchipper looks good. iirc you had an on one midge before? Since I have a midge too I would be interested in a mid-term review, so after riding it for a few weeks and after finetuning everything.
    And good look for your century & training!
    Just saw this. I'm LOVING the cowchipper bar. I haven't done any terribly long rides on it yet. I've got a lot of 2-4mi commute rides right now. I'm doing 85mi on Monday, though, and I'll have a better review of it then.

Did I catch a niner+?
    Got my Vaya's new shoes installed. Dropped about 2lbs of rotating weight (and it's still got tubes!) just by swapping tires. These are a touch narrower, but should make a HUGE difference for the long rides I've got coming within the next week. Tallying things up in my head, I think I'm going to hit 200mi on my Vaya within the next 7 days all told.

Thanks to Mr. Pink's posts about that Shapeways adapter, I bought one for my Vaya and my Magicshine light. Mine's a touch different, though. This one says it's for bikes with disc brakes, which looks like it means it just doesn't have clearance for a regular road caliper. I also bought a Shapeways Cree light GoPro adapter, but it's more or less poo. It won't fit my Magicshine, and it won't fit my other Chinese LED light. So to get everything set up, I had to steal a vancbiker machined alu adapter from another light I have. I guess I'm just going to have to order another one of those for the light I took this one from.
    I sent the guy a message but have not heard back about exchanging the one I have for that version, I did not realize that when I ordered it since I have a disc brake ogre. The mount works but it does bob a bit.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pink57 View Post
    I sent the guy a message but have not heard back about exchanging the one I have for that version, I did not realize that when I ordered it since I have a disc brake ogre. The mount works but it does bob a bit.
    I looked up the one you bought, and then saw this one in my search results, so I went for this one. Mine vibrates a little, but doesn't seem to move much otherwise. FWIW, the hardware I used was actually some extra rack/fender hardware I had floating around in my toolbox, so I didn't have to use one of the thumb screws from my GoPro mounts collection.

I am absolutely thrilled with the location of the light, though. It's off the handlebars, for one. It's in a better position to light the road ahead without getting shadows of my shift housings. It cleans up the appearance of the bike by a TON. Plus, now the light isn't exactly quick for a potential thief to swipe.

I've got a pork shoulder on the smoker right now, but once that finishes up, I'm planning to take the bike for a quick spin around the neighborhood to see how the new tires affect the way the bike rides.

mtbr member
    Just saw this. I'm LOVING the cowchipper bar. I haven't done any terribly long rides on it yet. I've got a lot of 2-4mi commute rides right now. I'm doing 85mi on Monday, though, and I'll have a better review of it then.
    Thanks harold! I think I am in the market for a cowchipper now too. Only thing holding me back is the price of 85Euros and shipping time of at least 4 weeks here in europe....

since 4/10/2009
    Thanks harold! I think I am in the market for a cowchipper now too. Only thing holding me back is the price of 85Euros and shipping time of at least 4 weeks here in europe....
    Just put 86mi on it today. Big fan.

sofa king awsm
    Sep 2008
    After breaking my chain and getting TWO flats on my 18 mile commute I threw my bike into the Columbia River and walked.
    Baby, I want my face to be your quiver killer.

guy
    Finally got around to some wrench time. I still have lots to get done but the list is getting smaller.

Mountain bike: After some very muddy races recently I put on a fresh chain, cassette, and fresh inner and outer cables, and then promptly put it all through the ringer. Everything worked flawlessly for the Mohican 100K race on Saturday.

Road bike: I had to suffer the consequences for deferring maintenance. I knew the chain was super stretched but when I measured it at the Coop, it didn't even register on the chain measure tool. So it got a new chain and cassete and a thorough cleaning of the jockey wheels and chainrings. Also managed a flat on the Gatorskins on the front wheel from my commute on Thursday so I changed the tube there. Didn't find anything in the tire so I'm not sure what happened.

SS Karate Monkey: Finally got all my pieces and parts for the drop bar SS karate monkey. I am running a cowchipper bar as well. The frame is a bit big for the drop bar set up for me (hence the tiny stem and huge spacer stack), but the bike was practically free so I don't really care. I need to lower the gearing a bit for singletrack, but it's great for ripping around town right now.

What have you done to your commuter today?-20160605_195415.jpg

Short-Change-Hero
    Finally into full commuter mode retirement. She has been run in the previous MTB mode for quite a while since I had a friend borrowing on a regular basis. Kept watching ebay and missing out on good deals on steel forks but finally landed one last week. Got here and swapped everything over including moving to ALT bars as well (debating on dropbars or not still).

Thinking the final update will be a set of Schwalbe Big Apples. I have a set of new GEAX Evolution 1.9" tires but damn are they an absolute $#%@^ to get on the OG Stans Flow rims (let alone get off the rims). From there will drop the front to a 1x9 setup and call it good.

Untitled by Greg Fisicaro, on Flickr

I'd rather be on my bike

New rubber.
    Last edited by TenSpeed; 06-09-2016 at 07:20 AM.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.

mtbr member
    New front rack and bar ends.

What have you done to your commuter today?-ryevsmih.jpg

I'd rather be on my bike
    ^ at first glance, it looks like the shifter cables are yellow and wrap around the rack.

Did I catch a niner+?
    I looked up the one you bought, and then saw this one in my search results, so I went for this one. Mine vibrates a little, but doesn't seem to move much otherwise. FWIW, the hardware I used was actually some extra rack/fender hardware I had floating around in my toolbox, so I didn't have to use one of the thumb screws from my GoPro mounts collection.

I am absolutely thrilled with the location of the light, though. It's off the handlebars, for one. It's in a better position to light the road ahead without getting shadows of my shift housings. It cleans up the appearance of the bike by a TON. Plus, now the light isn't exactly quick for a potential thief to swipe.

I've got a pork shoulder on the smoker right now, but once that finishes up, I'm planning to take the bike for a quick spin around the neighborhood to see how the new tires affect the way the bike rides.
    Shapeway has a 20% discount code going on now "SFONSALE" so I got two of the style you purchased to try out. LNM just released a GoPro mount for their Seca Lights.

~ B A D A S S ~
    Technically yesterday but:

built 2 wheels.
    put tubes and tires on, and discs.
    mounted bb/headset/fork/brakes/saddle/seatpost/handlebar/stem/cranks/pedals.
    And machined some spacers for the cassette and headset.
    Also lubed everything, i mean everything.

Also tried fitting the shifter on the bar and filed spacers for the special mount.

Things left to do today:
    Go over the wheels in the stand.
    finalize the shifter position
    mount correct spacers on steerer
    install rd
    install brake levers
    make a 6sp cassete and install it
    route all wires and cables
    maybe lube the pedals
    size chain and install

done
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

guy
    Finally got around to building up the commuter after the fresh powder coat. Treated her to a fresh bottom bracket, cables, and cantis. I think my trash bin drop levers are going to have to be replaced sooner than later. The right one has developed a lot of play and the spring is toast. Just need to reinstall fenders and rack and she is finished. I'll post a pic tomorrow.

turtles make me hot
    My commuter bike is a Dahon Vigor P9. It developed an annoying creak under power. Since it's a folding bike, I assumed it was the joint in the frame. I adjusted and greased it a few times but the creak persisted. Finally, today, I thought to check the tension on the spokes. The non drive side rears were a little loose. I tensioned em up and took it for a nice, quiet spin around the neighborhood.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    I replaced the right shift cable and I now shift from 5th to 10th in one click. Not good. when you want one ratio up and have to downshift to it.

Delving into the mysteries of Campagnolo shifters started in 2013 when the body I cracked in the accident gave up suddenly months later. The lesser level models are not true Ergo like the Chorus and Record of that era were. Not rebuildable. The replacement would frequently skip two or three cogs on the upshift and I thought it was me holding the lever too long. With the cable replaced and a small kink taken out where the cable entered the shifter (spot where cable frayed) it now drops 5 cogs at once. That as you might guess, is a known failure mode of the non-rebuidable shifters and was likely bad from the get-go.

So I am disinclined to buy another. Also, many dealers are sold out suggesting that this is not nearly the 10,000 mile to rebuild that the Ergos are known to be. The first rebuild is about $3.00 of springs. So I elected to upgrade the body to Ergo. That has the tiny problem that Campy does not put part numbers on anything! So I had to send pictures of my current unit. The hood and lever and clamp will transfer. The cost is a small fraction of a complete L& R and cables set. It should be here tomorrow.

~ B A D A S S ~
    I'm running mtb shifters on my dropbar bikes. need to make specials mounts though. But i like to be able to get the best feel and whatever brakelevers I like. xtr got 15000km on it now.

I also fill them up with grease from the start.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Specialized sucks ass.

mtbr member
    The right shifter is fixed. My son bought me a new bike helmet. It is a bell with MIPS and the traffic yellow-green for more visibility.

I transferred the headlight, taillight, and camera mount:

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Added a handlebar bag and a rack for my panniers
    What have you done to your commuter today?-img_379022.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Chainstay cracked and the weld of the tubing to the forged yoke...

Suspension bolts started to lossen off Monday....by Sunday the crack appeared.

I was going up a mountain ride...and it was squeaking really bad. At the top I got off and spotted the crack.

Real slow and easy downhill with a lot of squeaking.

I had just pulled out an old chain stay with worn dropouts and repaired it with weld bond.

So an hour later I am good to go.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Cateye Stealth 10. Its been on the bike for a little while now and its been great. Simple. Very basic but that's all I needed. Battery life is good. Don't know how long it really lasts though as I haven't kept track.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What have you done to your commuter today?-cateye.jpg  

Did I catch a niner+?
    Just got some Planet Bike Cascadia ALX (aluminum) 29er fenders, will post pics when I can. Also the shop I PT in got new kits and they have galactic kittens on them, I am excited to wear this kit.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Quote Originally Posted by biker_soldier101 View Post
    Cateye Stealth 10. Its been on the bike for a little while now and its been great. Simple. Very basic but that's all I needed. Battery life is good. Don't know how long it really lasts though as I haven't kept track.
    Have you had any connection issues? I have that same computer that I used to use and it would never connect quickly. One time it took almost 10 minutes of being outside for it to connect. My Garmin connects right as I turn it on and before I walk out the door of my apartment.

mtbr member
    ^ My Garmin takes awhile to get satellite info.

Lost a tire to a sharp piece of gravel that even cut a line inside the wheel flange.

SOMA had a two-day 20% off sale and were clearing out the gumwall/ brown 700-28 so I got a pair shipped for under $30.

Here they are mounted. Look good with the Brown Brooks Saddle and bar tape:

I'd rather be on my bike
    Apparently I got a bit lazy. Thought I had greased my stem bolts on my SS Carve MTB turned urban commuter assault machine. Went to tighten one of them down, and it made the loudest popping noise I have ever heard emitted by the stem area of a bike. It then spun freely. Managed to get it out and I see what happened. I pulled the threads right out of stem onto the bolt. Time to shop for a new stem I guess.

Bike is a 19" SS MTB that can accept a rear derailleur but is being run SS currently with a 36:13 and an EBB along with 700x35 Continental City Ride II's. Stem/bar combo that came on the bike was a 70mm stem and a 6 mile wide bar because that is what the kids are all using these days. Immediately ditched the cow catcher bar and opted for a Cinelli Pepper riser bar with the stem on a -6° rise. Next smallest stem I have is a 90mm +/-6 rise. Wondering how much of a difference I will be able to feel in that longer stem?

Did I catch a niner+?
    Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    Apparently I got a bit lazy. Thought I had greased my stem bolts on my SS Carve MTB turned urban commuter assault machine. Went to tighten one of them down, and it made the loudest popping noise I have ever heard emitted by the stem area of a bike. It then spun freely. Managed to get it out and I see what happened. I pulled the threads right out of stem onto the bolt. Time to shop for a new stem I guess.

Bike is a 19" SS MTB that can accept a rear derailleur but is being run SS currently with a 36:13 and an EBB along with 700x35 Continental City Ride II's. Stem/bar combo that came on the bike was a 70mm stem and a 6 mile wide bar because that is what the kids are all using these days. Immediately ditched the cow catcher bar and opted for a Cinelli Pepper riser bar with the stem on a -6° rise. Next smallest stem I have is a 90mm +/-6 rise. Wondering how much of a difference I will be able to feel in that longer stem?
    I had this happen on a Thomson once, my solution was to tap a larger bolt to the stem. So the bottom bolt is a M5 and the top bolt is a M6 that is slightly machined down on the inside to more of a cone shape.

mtbr member
    I've actually stopped greasing stem bolts, after having this happen a few times. It's been at least 3 times now: kona, cannondale, ritchey, and maybe even a 4th no name brand.

Some folks talk about grease as a "torque multiplier", in that it lets you apply more torque than you could without it. And from my experience, for m5 stem bolts that is a bad idea. For the 3 that have failed I've been in the process of tightening them, and not even reefing down on them or anything.

No torque wrench of course (I think 2 of these were just making an adjustment out on the trails) but it's annoying enough that I've stopped using grease.

I know most stems come with some kindof goop on them, but all of mine that have failed had been re-gooped by me with Phil's.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Have you had any connection issues? I have that same computer that I used to use and it would never connect quickly. One time it took almost 10 minutes of being outside for it to connect. My Garmin connects right as I turn it on and before I walk out the door of my apartment.
    Yes it does take a few minutes. Never timed it but I'd say no more than 2-3 minutes. Sometimes its quicker.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Ditched the factory stem and put on my red Ritchey WCS Axis 4 on that SS MTB and it fits perfectly. I did grease the stem bolts this time.

Mantis, Paramount, Campy
    Fixed a backlog of 5 flats last night. I was starting to run out of extra wheels

jrm
    mtbr member
    air'd up the tires

~ B A D A S S ~
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    I've actually stopped greasing stem bolts, after having this happen a few times. It's been at least 3 times now: kona, cannondale, ritchey, and maybe even a 4th no name brand.

Some folks talk about grease as a "torque multiplier", in that it lets you apply more torque than you could without it. And from my experience, for m5 stem bolts that is a bad idea. For the 3 that have failed I've been in the process of tightening them, and not even reefing down on them or anything.

No torque wrench of course (I think 2 of these were just making an adjustment out on the trails) but it's annoying enough that I've stopped using grease.

I know most stems come with some kindof goop on them, but all of mine that have failed had been re-gooped by me with Phil's.
    Imo it works like this: The torqe you get at the key only corresponds to a certain squish if lubed correctly. I use molykote longterm plus 2 on everything.

if you assemble lets say a common bolt maybe galvanized, it doesnt slide very well in the threads, the bottom side of the head is also not very smooth sliding. This can account for up to 90% of the torque you thought you had torqued that bolt to. so you think 10nm but in reality you have like 1-3 or so dry.

of course this info can be found in very many places.

I also like that the bolt are never stuck. alu and steel dont really like each orher and can get stuck "forever".

Specialized sucks ass.

~ B A D A S S ~
    Today and yesterday I modded my bike a bit. new fork and turned some new spacers for the steerer, I also put the bike on a flat table to check rear dropout alignment. Had to turn some pieces to get the centerline of the main triangle level. Turns out the nds was actually a bit off (up/down) so i filed it about 1mm, the outer side of the dropout was 1mm further to the ground when riding, but now its inline with the other side. the actual dropout had probably bent a bit while they welded it.

The reason i wanted top check it was that my new rear wheel which i built to perfection did not line up at the center of the seatstay, and there is awelded nut there where my fenders mount so it was extremely obvious. And if its off there, its off on the ground too. But it turned out that its something else that is crooked. Dont know what. dont really care either. Its probably completely normal for a lynskey. However the wheels track straight and line up and thats what matters to me.

I also removed the headset cups and turned them down about 0,25mm and shortened them since the humble folks at lynskey cant get the correct diameter on the frames.

What have you done to your commuter today?-img_0001.jpg
    What have you done to your commuter today?-img_0002.jpg
    What have you done to your commuter today?-img_0003.jpg
    What have you done to your commuter today?-img_0004.jpg

Specialized sucks ass.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Finalized the order for the drivetrain on the fixed gear. It is shot to hell and back. Is it shark week? You would think so by looking at the teeth on my chain ring. New FSA ring ordered in a 48T instead of the 49T that I have because I can't get a 49 through Q. KMC chain and SRAM chain ring bolts as well as a Surly 15T stainless steel cog. Will be here Friday and am hoping to get it installed on the bike but that might be hard to do since I will be working until close at the bike shop.

since 4/10/2009

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pink57 View Post

A 3D printed fork crown GoPro mount from shapeway and a LNM Urban GoPro mount, wonder what's going to happen next?
    The 3D printed fork crown mount I bought fell apart last week. It cracked straight down from the bolt hole and was done. I can't find anything else that would work as a direct replacement, so it's back to a handlebar mount for me.

Guess my commute is too bumpy? I dunno. A machined aluminum version of this would probably work and hold up, but I don't see anyone making one. I might drop a line to vancbiker to see if he'll make one to complement his GoPro adapter for the Chinese lights.

I have also priced out what it'd cost me to go to a dynamo hub setup. Definitely my long-term plan, but don't think I can swing it just yet.

mtbr member
    I don't know if this mount will do:

HD Caliper Brake B&M470H1 Listed on Peter White's site under Mounting Dynamo Lights.

I have been using it with twin aimable DIY head lamps:

Ignore the handlebar mounted light:

Aimed out for daytime to be more visible to cross street drivers:

At $2.75 the shipping costs more than the part.

Ride Everything
    The front brake pads on that Mercian are installed backwards. The open end should be located at the rear of the holder.
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GRAVELBIKE View Post
    The front brake pads on that Mercian are installed backwards. The open end should be located at the rear of the holder.
    Thanks. They were freshly and too quickly installed and fixed after the picture. Almost five years ago.

since 4/10/2009
    I don't think that mount will work. I can't find anything aside from the 3D printed mounts that will use GoPro mounting. So for now, my light has the stock handlebar mount installed again and the light is up on the bars.

I think I'm going to try this one out, but it's still plastic so I'm not 100% convinced:
    https://www.bikeshophub.com/accessor...ts-p-2378.html

mtbr member
    I don't think that mount will work.
    Not as is, no. The bolt holes allow you to attach the mount you need. A piece of PVC pipe with a lug (inside bracket flanges) or two (outside bracket flanges) epoxied on with a bolt hole(s) * nuts, bolts, spacers and lock washers as needed.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    Not as is, no. The bolt holes allow you to attach the mount you need. A piece of PVC pipe with a lug (inside bracket flanges) or two (outside bracket flanges) epoxied on with a bolt hole(s) * nuts, bolts, spacers and lock washers as needed.
    Yeah, I don't want to cobble stuff together. Vancbiker is willing to machine what I need from aluminum and is working out pricing for me. Cool dude.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    started turning this into a commuter bike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What have you done to your commuter today?-bike-276.jpg  

What have you done to your commuter today?-bike-277.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  
    97 specialized rockhopper.- winter beater
    2013 GT aggressor 3.0- summer commuter

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Some of you guys are doing some cool stuff! Me, I'm limited to installing fenders. I always cut the rear down as I don't need more in my area.
    What have you done to your commuter today?-dscn0187.jpg
    Ends up looking like this.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    did a bunch of work getting it together today.....

bike: 86 schwinn sierra-free
    pedals-$14
    grips-$8
    seat-$15
    bell-$16
    handlebars-$12
    tires-$22
    rack-$3
    crate-free
    lights-$40
    reflectors-$4.50
    chain-$10
    bags-$30
    fenders-free, made with stuff I had laying around
    water bottle cages- free from personal parts bin

still need to finish installing the taillights and install some little round reflectors.....running knobbies for them dirt and mud shortcuts...lol
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What have you done to your commuter today?-bike.jpg  

What have you done to your commuter today?-bike-328.jpg  

What have you done to your commuter today?-bike-329.jpg  

What have you done to your commuter today?-bike-327.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Got my commuter bike almost done.....added some reflectors and reflective strips put on....also turned a leather bag into a pannier using a few carbineers
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What have you done to your commuter today?-14922234_10153838220820303_7866067665249149926_n.jpg  

What have you done to your commuter today?-10712919_10153838231760303_8947978992893908535_n.jpg  

What have you done to your commuter today?-14915326_10153838222510303_4377278186525025489_n.jpg  

What have you done to your commuter today?-14925554_10153838226570303_2781178612835088218_n.jpg  

What have you done to your commuter today?-14907621_10153838228410303_983730668410541709_n.jpg  

Resident Texican
    I managed to put a significant dent into the rim of my commuter bike a couple weeks ago. At least that's the only time I can remember an event that would have been able to cause the dent. I found it a couple days ago while cleaning the bike after a recent rainy/muddy ride.

So yesterday I ordered a new wheel. A Sun Rhynolite laced to a Deore 525 hub. Nothing special, nothing expensive, but less expensive and time consuming than buying a rim and lacing it to my existing hub. It should be here on Friday or Saturday. Until then I've trued my wheel laterally and bent the beadseat/sidewall back in to place, but I can't get rid of the ~5mm hop in the rim.

My next purchases will hopefully be new shoes and a new backpack/pannier as both will probably need to be replaced in the next six months or so.
    F@%K! Where the hell did that tree come from?!

I'd rather be on my bike
    I keep bar swapping between tri base bars and drops on my fixed gear. The drops are awesome and are just about perfect but I have noticed that I am getting some wrist pain while riding so they came off this am and the base bars went back on. I think that if I had hoods on there it would be exactly what I am wanting, however, I am far too vain to run hoods on drops on a fixed gear with only a front brake and that dummy lever. So back to the base bars it is.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Finally getting around to getting the fenders back on the CX bike for winter/wet commuter duty. Forecast here calls for a warm up and that means wet roads for sure. I despise fenders with every inch of my body and soul but they help. Earlier this year they came off as soon as possible and they probably will again as soon as spring hits here. Fenders, you are a pain in my rear end, even if you have been mounted and adjusted once already on the bike. Front is done, took a break after doing that and redoing the cable position on the bars and rewrapping. Going to move to the back of the bike here shortly.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I have commuted twelve years in a row...(big deal)

Anyway the first 11 years I never had a RD jockey pulley bolt come loose...

This year I had a JP bolt come loose and total wrap up a Shimano XTR RD.

Yesterday the replacement SRAM 10 speed RD jP bolt comes loose in the driveway...no damage but WTF.

Am I pedalling crookedly or what???

CB of the East
    Frozen bearing? If it is the lower pulley and the bearing froze it would be applying a torque in the direction to unscrew it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    I always take jockey pulleys off once a year for a clean and lube. I've always used a touch of blue Loctite on the bottom pulley bolt as taught by my father. I never really thought of why. Bed, you made a light come on! My brains getting old. That hurts!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    Frozen bearing? If it is the lower pulley and the bearing froze it would be applying a torque in the direction to unscrew it.
    Nope bearing in good shape...

CB of the East
    I meant frozen with water contamination.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    I meant frozen with water contamination.
    Oh okay nope been dry and warm for the last three commutes and bearing was full of phil's tenacious oil...no salt no water.

Oh and it was the top bearing...

I am beginning to think the b screw might just be too close and the RD is vibrating too much when the chain goes over the teeth ????

anyway I locktited it.

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    Oh and it was the top bearing...
    That blows the whole theory. Re-filing it under the chit happens category.

since 4/10/2009
    Vancbiker finished up the aluminum fork crown mount I asked for as a custom job.

Here's my updated light mount setup.

DSCF2712 by Nate, on Flickr

I'm totally pleased with how this turned out. Nice and stout. Everything snugs up really nice, and shouldn't move or vibrate much on rough surfaces. I like that he threaded the bolt hole on the GoPro adapter side of things, so I don't need to use a nut there. If I do need to snug it up or otherwise adjust it while out on a ride, my multi-tool will be able to handle it no problem.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    What I'm doing to my commuter, well, it's at the powder coat shop. I have a thread going in vintage. I am making some minor upgrades here and there. Also making sure it's ready to go another 25 years.

Resident Texican

Raleigh Tamland

So I've been using this bike for close to two years now, and I decided to make it a little more commuting/touring friendly.

I swapped out the FSA Gossamer 50/34 crank with a Deore crank at a custom 42/26 to make a sub-compact touring double. New BB-M800 to go along with the crankset. Replaced the stock 12-30 cassette with an 11-32, so I now have a range of 103.1-21.9 gear inches. Also switched to the "long cage" 105 rear derailleur. Lastly, I added the SKS Chainboard which was an interesting thing to fiddle with on the installation but it came out great.

I'm very happy with how everything came out, but I only have one ride on it so far after the changes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    I'm considering a chainboard myself. Unsure of the bb mount.

Resident Texican
    @OlMarin if you have any questions about it I will do my best to answer. My bike is a 68mm BB shell so I needed to use the provided spacers for the Deore crankset. The BB mount for the Chainboard (~1mm thick) just replaced one of the 2.5mm spacers, and I used a ~1mm spacer with it to make up for the difference.

If you use a square taper or octalink BB/crankset then the installation would be even easier without the need for extra spacers.

mtbr member
    Put some "fenders" on my yougest son's stryderbike from my own home made brand "recyclo-crappo-bottlo" .

Since picasa was killed and replaces with google photos I can not insert pics directly in the post anymore, therefore just the links´(of which I hope that those at least work....):

complete bike:
    https://goo.gl/photos/B4PkGrpxofZ7xPEP6

front:
    https://goo.gl/photos/CS1vMTt71w6XwKRP7

rear:
    https://goo.gl/photos/TvSuvLAxyAWqBDZc6

McGyver would be proud I guess

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Texico View Post
    @OlMarin if you have any questions about it I will do my best to answer. My bike is a 68mm BB shell so I needed to use the provided spacers for the Deore crankset. The BB mount for the Chainboard (~1mm thick) just replaced one of the 2.5mm spacers, and I used a ~1mm spacer with it to make up for the difference.

If you use a square taper or octalink BB/crankset then the installation would be even easier without the need for extra spacers.
    Thanks for the info. I'm interested to see how it performs for you. I'm thinking about this and some of them fancy, schmancy platform pedals that also allow use of spuds.
    I also use the bike for daily mail run. It's only a 1/4 mile away, but just that little bit motivates me to go for a real ride. As a retired commuter, I sometimes need incentive.
    This would mean I can leave the blue jeans and boots on.
    And also, it seems for guys running in sloppy conditions it could make chain maintenance a bit easier. Wouldn't it keep it cleaner longer? Having done that, cleaning a filthy chain gets old.
    BTW I'm running a '90's Deore Lx with a 68. Standard square taper.

mtbr member
    Worked on my 2nd bike today, the Dahon Cadenza folding bike. It has an excentric BB which was totally mucked up. Took the cranks off and had to hammer the BB out to the side (held a piece of wood against the axle to avoid damage). Cleaned everything with WD40, greased all parts and put it back together. Will probably get new screws this week that clamp the BB housing together.
    I am still not sure if I am going to keep the bike. If yes, I will use it for touring and will need a front wheel with a dynohub to charge phone/GPS/Camera, and I will have to get racks for front an rear. Fork doesnt have lowrider eyelets so will have to go for a Tubus Smarti, which can be installed on the Cantimounts.

My other bike has annoying squeaking too and I am also suspecting the BB / Crankset. Its a Shimano HTII bearings with an FSA singlespeed crankset. Took the left crank off already, cleaned&greased it, and put it back on. I noticed that on the axle, 1 tooth of the toothwork was rounded a bit. Also a metal chip came out. Dont know how to take the axle out of the bearings though. The squeaking was still there afterwards so I will probably take it to the bikeshop to have them overhaul the bearings and BB threading. If that doesnt help its not the crankset but at least it is serviced again ;o))

I'd rather be on my bike
    Decided that my bikes will decidedly used with their intended purpose for the most part.

Fixed gear will be fun/nice weather commuter.
    SS mtb will go back to knobbies and original gear ratio.
    CX bike will be dedicated commuter and fenders will remain on - will be putting a road cassette on.
    Fattie will remain fat - snow, dirt, whatever.
    CF endurance bike got a new bar/stem/wrap and was dropped off at the shop Saturday for new cables/housing. New bar is narrower and the stem is shorter so there is a mess of cables up front that looks just horrible. It has internal cables so I decided to let the manager at the shop do it instead of me.

All of this time off the bike is bad for me. This is usually the part where I lose my mind and start micro adjusting things.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    think I finally got my light setup done on my rockhopper commuter
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What have you done to your commuter today?-16406714_10154097477460303_4628363556792515826_n.jpg  

NDD
    Baby boy
    Decided that my bikes will decidedly used with their intended purpose for the most part.

Fixed gear will be fun/nice weather commuter.
    SS mtb will go back to knobbies and original gear ratio.
    CX bike will be dedicated commuter and fenders will remain on - will be putting a road cassette on.
    Fattie will remain fat - snow, dirt, whatever.
    CF endurance bike got a new bar/stem/wrap and was dropped off at the shop Saturday for new cables/housing. New bar is narrower and the stem is shorter so there is a mess of cables up front that looks just horrible. It has internal cables so I decided to let the manager at the shop do it instead of me.

All of this time off the bike is bad for me. This is usually the part where I lose my mind and start micro adjusting things.
    Alton Brown would disapprove of your collection of unitaskers. Lol. Quite a stable though.
    dang

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    What have you done to your commuter today?-dscn0276.jpg
    That orange and yellow monster posted above? I've, um, done a little to it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Well it wasn't my bike but I took my wife's bike she bought from Costco a few years ago. I removed the tourney components and cheap crankset and added a nice icon crankset along with an all Acera group pulled from a cracked frame Giant. This Schwinn is a nice full suspension street cruiser but it's a really nice bike for her to have. Even the wheels were an upgrade. She tried it out.....said I am definitely getting a reward later.

mtbr member
    My other bike has annoying squeaking too and I am also suspecting the BB / Crankset
    <<CUT>>
    so I will probably take it to the bikeshop to have them overhaul the bearings and BB threading. If that doesnt help its not the crankset but at least it is serviced again ;o))
    Bike was in the LBS last Friday and I had new bearings installed. Unfortunately the squeaking was still there

Friday afternoon I removed the rear wheel and the slider dropouts. I had never removed those dropouts before, just loosened/tightened to tension the chain.

It appeared that there were some lock washers under the bolts, that were totally wasted. They were of this kind:
    https://goo.gl/images/dl2dzf

So I put in normal washers with a smooth surface - SILENCE :arf

A bit annoying that I now have a pair of HT2 bearings laying around. If anyone in Europe or even Germany is interested: 5€ + shipping (internet price 13€ without shipping).

But all in all I am still glad that that squeaking is gone. Drove me nuts the last week, plus the feeling that something might break and ruin even more.

Did I catch a niner+?
    Swapped out the Nuvinci 360 for a 3x10 system which seems strange to some I am sure but I wanted a lot more range so I went to about a 600% from 360% and a much better low end. I also added my salsa minimalist rack with a Wald 1372 basket up front.

So far so good. Also to add to switching from a N360 is parts are pretty much at the ready versus me having to order everything.

I also ordered a set of Velocity Cliffhangers for my Ogre which should arrive this week and I am swapped from an enabler fork to a Ogre fork to add a dynamo hub.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    finally got the 7 speed conversion working flawlessly after a new front chain ring....little bit of fine tuning and its ready to go
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What have you done to your commuter today?-17155337_10154173210970303_1552965033904943462_n.jpg  

What have you done to your commuter today?-17098598_10154173214075303_2104494645241401741_n.jpg  

I'd rather be on my bike
    ^ doesn't that crate hit your back while you are riding? Also wouldn't it make getting on and off the bike a bit more difficult?

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    the crate doesnt really effect my back much....I may modify it some....it does make it somewhat hard to throw the leg over.... you have to lean the bike over to mount it

mtbr member
    Hey! Long time no talk! Got my bike down off the ceiling of the garage yesterday, and cleaned it up, lubed it, and replaced a bad tube and got pumped up and ready to go. My multi-use path is a ways off yet, still covered in snow. But I may consider using the roads, depending on weather, in the next few weeks. I gots the itch!

mtbr member
    Oct 2016

Why did I have to stumble upon this? Why, why, why?
    See post #1584..........
    DAMN THE MUD, FULL SPEED AHEAD!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2016

Selle Anatomica. Can't say what I think as I only have 1hr 40min on it. But it's different. So far not in a bad way.

mtbr member
    I've been tempted to put one of these on my road bike. I'd love to hear what you think once it's broken in.
    18" rigid Unit

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by bmf032 View Post
    I've been tempted to put one of these on my road bike. I'd love to hear what you think once it's broken in.
    The ad hype says break in is minimal, if at all. I can't really be sure, but they may be correct. So far I've only f@rted with normal adjustments pertaining to any saddle. I haven't touched the tension adjustment. I'll wait on that for a few more rides, if then.
    It seems hard at first but that quickly goes away and it feels pretty good (DON'T GO THERE!!)

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    in the process of pricing out a single speed conversion for my 2013 kona splice 29er after a hard winter season on my 3x8 drive train. pretty much everything is worn out on the 3x8 only thing good is the rear mech and shift line everything else is shot, so its going to be cheaper in the long run to convert over. plus I picked up a new job so I'm going to be laying down about 160-200km a month.

as well I tried the bike in the gear range I want to get, 32-24t, and am thinking it's going to work out good just got to red line before the hills start lol.

mtbr member
    Took off the conti wintercontacts and again I am amazed how well they look after the 4th winter. I didnt keep track but I think they have around 10tkm on them now and I think they could easily double that.

Put the conti speedrides back on that go into the 2nd summerseason now. Especially the one that was on the rear already shows clear signs of wear. I could also easily make out the 3 spots with which I made the 3 emergency stops last year.

I estimate they'll last 3 summers. They were relatively cheap, roll well and have good grip so with an estimated life of 7tkm I think it is a very good package as a whole.

All conti.tires I.had so far were very good. So far I always bought the wirebead types and all three models are a real pita to get properly.seated on the rim. By now I have soap spender at hand and dont even try without it, its even needed for the used ones so they dont even bed in after a few months. Will try the folding ones next time.

And I finally found out what that that antiflat thing is called that I always use: its a tire liner. In the usa I.found one that is called mr. tuffy.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Quote Originally Posted by reod12x2 View Post
    in the process of pricing out a single speed conversion for my 2013 kona splice 29er after a hard winter season on my 3x8 drive train. pretty much everything is worn out on the 3x8 only thing good is the rear mech and shift line everything else is shot, so its going to be cheaper in the long run to convert over. plus I picked up a new job so I'm going to be laying down about 160-200km a month.

as well I tried the bike in the gear range I want to get, 32-24t, and am thinking it's going to work out good just got to red line before the hills start lol.
    So you want to go 32 tooth up front and 24 in the back? And this is to commute on? That is going to be absolutely horrible unless you live in the mountains. You are going to spin out so quickly on the pavement. My 29er SS that I converted to road is a 34:13 I believe or 14, and that is about ideal. It was initially geared for off road but that gearing was severely limiting my pavement speed.

Did I catch a niner+?

Not to my commuter but we got this one free for the GF so I took it down to frame and regreased everything, replaced a lot of bearings also. Put a basket on per request, replaced the broken rear fender reflector with a pdw fenderbot.

mtbr member
    I haven't commuted in 2 years. I got hit on my way home from work, and it effed me up. The physical damage healed pretty fast (although my back and shoulder still hurt), but I let the emotional stuff get to me. I couldn't ride on the road without hitting a ditch every time a car came by. A few weeks ago, I decided enough was enough. I picked up a Trek 4300 on Craigslist, and had the time of my life. I only got out a few miles, but those few miles were blissful. So, I quickly snagged a used brand new Jamis Renegade Expat. Tonight, I slapped my old lights on, installed a Brooks Cambium C17, and some SPD pedals.

It'll be a few weeks before I have the stamina to make the 37 mile commute to work. But I'll be there soon enough, three times a week.
    Bourbon: Because no good story ever started with "So, there we were eating salads".