Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    FM
    luxatio erecta

What is it with Fixie riders?

This has happened to me 3 times in the last 2 days, during my commute (25 miles round trip on a road bike).

Fixie rider sprints past me, opens up some kind of "lead" then slows down... and I have to pass them 15-20 seconds later.

I do not think they are spinning out. Both yesterday and this morning, when I passed the guys, they were seated and turning a fairly slow cadence.

Is there something about fixie gearing that forces them to alternately sprint and ride slowly?

It's not like I am looking to race. I am just trying to ride at a consistent speed, not accelerating to pass or slowing for other riders either.
    Also I wear pretty casual clothing so I don't think my presence screams "CRUSH THE ROADIE"!

WTF?
    I don't want to be a hater but I am starting to wonder WTF is up with these fixie people?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Kind of sounds like when I get wore out on mine, since I can't downshift. lol

fool goin up, joker down
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Blade o' grass
    Kind of sounds like when I get wore out on mine, since I can't downshift. lol
    yeah when I rode my friends single that was it
    when you are in the right gear you are great...when you are not, you're not and you just gotta slow it down

No-Brakes Cougar
    Quote Originally Posted by FM
    Is there something about fixie gearing that forces them to alternately sprint and ride slowly?
    I think it may have more to do with them simply not having the level of training to be able to spin at high cadence for extended periods of time. Real velodrome racers train specifically to be able to do this. Sounds more like the guy thought he was going to prove something by passing you then couldn't keep the steam up. That was pretty rude of him.

I don't want to be a hater but I am starting to wonder WTF is up with these fixie people?
    I am wondering that myself. A month or so ago I was out on the Bay Trail on my commuter. All of the sudden I hear these voices behind me, I glance back and a couple of hipster douche bags are drafting me! I don't mind starting a pace line, but if you don't even know me you should at least ask first. I tried hard to shake them, but this was already a couple of hours into the ride and I'd been fighting a killer headwind the whole way. Eventually they squeaked past me, brand new empty messenger bags flapping in the wind, pink tires spinning as fast as they could turn them. At least I got a laugh out of the whole incident. I have quite a few amusing hipster stories, but I'll stop being mean-spirited for now.
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

Braaaapp!
    I've noticed around here that the fixie guys like to keep everything as simple as possible on their bikes, which means no lights at night to weigh them down. A few weeks back I almost creamed a goth-looking guy as he ran a stop sign RIGHT in front of me. No lights, no reflectors, wearing dark clothes, and about 9:30 pm. I yelled out "WHAT THE...." but then gave up, as I realized his Ipod was cranked far louder than I could yell unless I was 3" from his ear. I'm not positive it was a fixie, but it was a single speed road bike with no brakes, and I never saw him coast. I got a really good look at the back wheel area of the bike, as I missed it by no more than a foot in my brake/swerve/swear manuver.

I guess it's not just him though. If I go out for a night ride down past campus I'd bet that 70% of the bikes have no lights what-so-ever.

On campus, everyone seems to use lights.

Ovaries on the Outside
    I'm going to go with the lack of training idea. I think most ride shorts distances and only when the weather cooperates. I ride a fixed gear and I think it is the way to commute. I do an eight mile one way and I stick it around 18-20. I've used it for loaded touring- 100+ miles, but one day I had headwinds almost the whole time and not being able to drop a gear... I'm working on getting a 1x9 for that...

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary the No-Trash Cougar
    Real velodrome racers train specifically to be able to do this. Sounds more like the guy thought he was going to prove something by passing you then couldn't keep the steam up. That was pretty rude of him.

That's kind of what I was getting at. I don't want to be a total ettiquette nazi but IMHO it's very poor form to make a pass if you can't make it stick, regardless of whether your racing, riding off road, commuting or just riding along. I certainly don't like passing faster / fitter riders.

Certainly the track racers and roadies who cross train on fixies, that I have ridden with, all have great etiquette are are very strong riders. Many of my off-road buddies have gone single-speed and again, understand the un-spoken code of mutual respect among cyclists.

The guys I have dealt with the last few days are more like messenger wannabes though.

I love all forms of cycling and would like to think that messenger-wannabe fixie riders and alleycat racers are legit disciplines, and maybe there's a technical reason that all the ones I seem to come across ride like total *****bags.

But.... maybe I am being overly optimistic.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary the No-Trash Cougar
    I don't mind starting a pace line, but if you don't even know me you should at least ask first.
    Again good ettiquette.

Drinking the Slick_Juice

That's kind of what I was getting at. I don't want to be a total ettiquette nazi but IMHO it's very poor form to make a pass if you can't make it stick, regardless of whether your racing, riding off road, commuting or just riding along. I certainly don't like passing faster / fitter riders.
    When im out street racing on my SS mountain Trek i get in front and make sure they stay behind.Gearies don't stand a chance, no offense,but they never seem to beat me .
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    ^ classic case of the other person not knowing they're racing.

are you the guy the OP was talking about?

Ovaries on the Outside

What's your set up?

I commuted on a rigid rockhopper for ~6 months with schwalbe marathon race and it was a pretty fast bike. Just not as fast as a road bike.

Quote Originally Posted by nuck_chorris
    When im out street racing on my SS mountain Trek i get in front and make sure they stay behind.Gearies don't stand a chance, no offense,but they never seem to beat me .

Ovaries on the Outside
    Quote Originally Posted by tomsmoto
    ^ classic case of the other person not knowing they're racing.

are you the guy the OP was talking about?
    What's the proper etiquette on that? I use other cyclists as motivation to rider faster, but I only pass if I know I can stay ahead of them.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Yeah, it's amazing who you can take when you are the only one racing

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta
    Yep.

You know what kills me, when I hear mountain bikers(or anybody!) say stuff like:
    Man the other day I went for a road ride, I passed 4 roadies in one mile!
    Hello? You need to pay an entry fee to take part in an actual race.
    Otherwise, don't expect a reaction from club roadie guy, at the end of his 120-mile hills LSD training route, when you pass him on your mountain bike riding to the park just down the street.

When I hear stuff like that it's just painfully obvious the person has never entered an actual cycling race.

As an old buddy of mine said "Honey I've dropped out of more races than you've entered"

gmoney was gmoneybike
    Fixies are sooo hot

If the fixies were being unsafe, actually I suspect they might have been very safe, but I digress, I think there is an issue here. But if they're just having fun I wouldn't sweat it. Sure they're posing, but then who on MTBR doesn't pose evey now and then

Now lets get on to proper passing etiquite, HLC style, with a nice wake up smack on the a$$ as you rip by.
    Were looking at balz

mtbr member
    I regularly pass roadies in the way down the mountain. For some reason they stick to the long, winding road....
    If you are passing someone, do it in a proper way. Showing off is silly.

Can Tree Member
    WTF?
    No hater here either...but what is it with people who think that when they are passed on the road they should either stay passed or the passer should have never passed them in the first place. What's up with that?

He was on his ride, you were on yours. Maybe his ride included chasing down a moving rider up ahead, fill-tilt, going-till-you're-blowing. Then slowing down, recovering for a while, and doing it again. Or maybe chasing down a stop sign next time (they are easier to catch... )

Where exactly is the problem here? Did he pass you rudely, cutting in front of you or forcing you out into traffic? Or did he interfere when you passed him back? Chances are he didn't care about you one way or another...you were, in all likelihood, just a moving hubcab to his doggy brain, at that moment your sole purpose for being on this earth was to be chased until he could chase no more, or be caught and then immediately forgotten.

Was he sniffing his own butt when you passed him back? It's a sure sign.
    Last edited by Dad Man Walking; 04-26-2009 at 07:13 AM.
    Dad is sad.
    Very, very sad.
    He had a bad day.
    What a day Dad had!

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by Dad Man Walking
    No hater here either...but what is it with people who think that when they are passed on the road they should either stay passed or the passer should have never passed them in the first place. What's up with that?
    Is it really any different than driving?
    Speeding up to cut in front of somebody, only to slow down and park or turn?

I agree about the doggy brain part. No sense in getting p*ssed at people who don't know any better. Just amusing that they seem to gravitate towards fixies.
    Last edited by FM; 04-15-2009 at 08:52 PM.

Can Tree Member
    Is it really any different than driving?
    Speeding up to cut in front of somebody, only to slow down and park or turn?
    Might be, might not be. My point is that passing, and then getting passed a bit later, is itself nothing to get fussed about. It's about how the passing is done. Are you saying that the way the rider passed you and then cut back in front of you forced you to slow down before you could overtake him?

If the pass was rude or risky--blowing by you too close, without warning, when you are already tight against the side of the road, drifting back on to your line right away and then slowing down immediately--yeah, that pretty much sucks. If he passed you cleanly and moved out a bit before slowing down, forcing you to pass him a minute or two later, on a road where it's easy to make a clean safe pass...I'd be back to a big "so what" again. I do agree that 15-20 seconds to overtake him after the pass is borderline though...if that's as long as he could hold the pace it probably would have been better to not pass and just suck your wheel for a while to recover.

But then we'd be into the "wheel suckers who don't ask first suck!" thread
    Last edited by Dad Man Walking; 04-26-2009 at 07:14 AM.
    Dad is sad.
    Very, very sad.
    He had a bad day.
    What a day Dad had!

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta
    good point, but there are people who do race me but not many

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    Quote Originally Posted by umarth
    I commuted on a rigid rockhopper for ~6 months with schwalbe marathon race and it was a pretty fast bike. Just not as fast as a road bike.
    for those who care.....

here is my near curnet setup, justa few changes

jrm
    mtbr member

Fixies are the new rollerblades

i have nothing against um. I say hi at lights. I'll call 911 if i see any cyclist get hit.
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

Thread Killer
    i've had some near run-ins with guys like this. all this talk of "etiquette" seems to escape people in and around colleges, at least in my experience. most of these guys are jumping on the "alternative transportation" bandwagon, with their fixies, longboards, or whatever. these yoohoos don't bother looking up the issues pertaining to their bikes, skateboards, or how the public reacts to them...and, it seems, they lack common sense about basic safety issues. i look at one of the intersections on campus...i've seen many close calls between cars and bikes, or cars and skateboards...not because the drivers aren't paying attention, but because the "alternative transportation" idiots are being shitheads and blowing stopsigns, carving up the whole road, going WAY too fast to be safely in control, and not being able to stop properly.

all you can do, as a passionate, lifelong biker is shrug it off, laugh at them, and hope they don't get hurt.

plays in traffic
    Apr 2009
    Fixie are great, I commute on one often in addition to my other bikes. The lack of brakes thing is just stoopid. If you want to get in shape fast then it's the way to go.

The 'fad' that's emerged is more of a hipster culture so youre going to get all kinds of 15yo yahoos out on the road who just bought a Windsor off ebay and acting out some internal style manifesto. The more style the less riding skills IMO.
    I don't mind too much if it gets more people riding rather than driving.

go ride!!
    how about you just ride bikes and quit whining! I commute on my brakeless fixie everyday and if I see someone else on a bike I'm stoked. Then I ride my fixie mtn bike to the trails and then on the trails and when I see other bikes, again I am stoked. I don't care what you ride or where you ride just ride bikes. and let's not whine about how someone passed me then I had to pass them back. If you don't want to be passed ride faster and increase your own endurance. If you don't want someone drafting off of you, again, ride faster. Don't worry about others and just take care of yourself and enjoy the fact that you are on your bicycle! peace.

Seeeriously easy Livin
    for those who care.....

here is my near curnet setup, justa few changes
    Even if you are chuck norris there is no way your beating me on the road with that gearing

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast