Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

What do you want to do?

We have a good thread going about what you're have done, now how about what you want to do to your daily commuter? What's your end goal that you're working toward, part by part?

Eventually, I'd like to replace the compact chain rings with a lower CX gearing. I think this would be better suited for commuting from the store with a heavy trailer, and would facilitate more off road use. I'd also want to switch out the cheap Sora rear mech with something clutched, to prevent chain slap and allow a larger cassette.
    Bourbon: Because no good story ever started with "So, there we were eating salads".

I'd rather be on my bike
    I like the idea of this thread! I never thought that starting the other one would ever go anywhere, just did it because I was bored. I hope yours takes off like wild fire.

Me? I want to upgrade the front brake on both fixed gear bikes. Shimano Sora on there now, and would like to go with a SRAM Rival, Force, or Red.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.
    2015 miles: 1576/5000

I Ride for Donuts
    Every once in a while I want to go rigid singlespeed mtb with the Ogre. But it's so sweet the way it is... but it would be so fun... but it's so practical now... etc...etc...
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

weirdo
    I don`t want to do anything to mine. I must be weird.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    The errand bike: I want to swap in a classic light but strong Peugeot Mixte step through frame (whole bike $50) so I don't have to leg it over a full load on the rear rack on this almost-too-big-for-me Schwinn frame. At 62, I'm not getting any more flexible. That will involve some French weirdness with parts and a cold reset of the rear triangle. The front wheel needs a re-spoking as a bungee cord making a break for it did a number on too many spokes. That would free up the Schwinn frame maybe as a winter road bike to spare The Duchess.

The Duchess: I have some UV lights I am building to test the Glo rim tape versus the Nori Tape versus the reflective stripes on the Soma New Express tires and Light Weigh spoke reflectors. I have Brooks Handlebar tape (Santa) to install. (When I can find where I put it!) Looking at revamping some lights and batteries (batteries are over 3 years old with a 2 year expected life). I have some headlights to build and light cables to fix.

Boring stuff mostly.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I want to just go from 3x8 to 1x8, Already kind of did it, but actually want to do it right with the proper components. Just want to simplify .

That's the first project, the other project people will think I am crazy, lol.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    1x11 or 1x10, or maybe a hub gear. I want simplicity and low maintenance. Seems like I'm constantly having to fiddle with cables and chains.

Better brakes. I'm milking my BB5s as long as I can in the hopes that I'll be able to (afford to) upgrade to hydro disc front & rear. Failing that, there's some dual sided caliper cable discs I've got my eye on.

I want to explore replacing my 2 heavy, so-waterproof-you-could-throw-in-a-river panniers with maybe a small triangle bag for riding essentials (tire levers, tube, patch kit) and a trunk bag for my stuff to/from work, to cut down on wind resistance.
    Last edited by Sanath; 4 Weeks Ago at 12:03 PM. Reason: I a word

Hooligan
    I want a pinion gearbox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    Hell of a jump, dawg. Even though they're baggy shorts, I'm surprised that you can fit your balls into them.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Would like to swap everything over to a surly troll or ogre. Do not know why because for me, steel has no advantage: wobblier and heavier. But just looks good. Or a salsa fargo would do, but only the fargo Ti.

And would love a pinion bike too, in an titanium version of the troll and with s&s couplers. Ah there comes my wife will ask her right away. Maybe she wants one too

Edit: nah no new bike for me
    ~ When the going gets tough, the tough get going ~

mtbr member
    Replace my perpetually annoying BB7s with something else - probably something from TRP. And probably give 29+ a try on the gryphon, once there are actually some tires available.

The canadian dollar is really cramping my style though.

mtbr member
    I test rode the TRP HY/RD and thought they were great. It really is an excellent "best of both worlds" sort of thing.
    Bourbon: Because no good story ever started with "So, there we were eating salads".

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Looked at them too but I think the Hy/Rd combines the disadvantages of both: Cableslack and compression can be minimized but not totally ruled out, together with the risk of a leak.

Besides that, the Hylex costs just a little more, are full hydros and come ready to install.

The HyRd might be good for people that are looking for a fast replacement of their mechanical disc brake and do not want to fiddle with new levers, bar tape etc. And they can be combined with froglegs.
    ~ When the going gets tough, the tough get going ~

mtbr member
    Personally, I wouldn't want full Hydro on my run around town go to work commuter. I'm not saying the HY/RD calipers are the absolute best out there, because they aren't, but for maintenance free, powerful braking, they're where it's at. That being said, I'm running BB7s and couldn't be happier.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    Every once in a while I want to go rigid singlespeed mtb with the Ogre. But it's so sweet the way it is... but it would be so fun... but it's so practical now... etc...etc...
    2 words, Karate Monkey.

As for my dedicated commuter I'm pretty happy with it. Might eventually swap the Tektro Novelas for BB7s but not entirely necessary.

My secondary bike currently is a CX bike, I have dreams of building up a Fargo to replace that someday. Could be a while before I can swing that.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I want to demote my cheap k2 zed sport to backup bike and buy a Fargo 3. . . . or 2

Fat-tired Roadie
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    I don`t want to do anything to mine. I must be weird.
    I want to commute by bike again.

The bike itself - actually I feel really good about the build I ended up with. Disc brake road bike with a rack and fenders. Awesome. If I was commuting by bike again, I'd probably put flat pedals with toe clips back on it - it has Speedplays right now.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    I want to commute by bike again.
    Hey Andrw, where ya been? The last we heard from you, you were looking at a not-very-feasible commute that was partially freeway. I think that was some kind of temporary internship or similar, though. I take it your commute is still not very bikeable?
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Trying to find fenders for mine. More comfy grips. And I feel like my IGH is geared to high for me. Not sure if I should go with a smaller chain ring or change the rear sprocket.

jrm
    mtbr member
    Find a removable casket/basket that will fit the surly open bar handlebar on the SS. Need to see if the 12-30 cass i bought for the defy is going to require a longer cage RD.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Replace it with a Bianchi Via Nerone. Then I can set it up as a rigid 1x10 mtb and keep it just for the gravel/dirt.

mtbr member
    I'll play.
    Want to switch out the stock mechanical disks calipers and pads for the Shimano CX equivalent. Also need to switch out the Big chain ring, currently FSA and chewed up and chain, again with the Shimano CX equivalent. BTW, I'm on a 2011 CDale CAADX Disk. Use a Banjo Brothers seat bag that is ginormous (big enough for breakfast, phone and tool kit.) and when it's dark a Sigma Karma Evo headlamp with a PDW tail light.
    The best thing I ever got for my commuter bike? Gore bike wear windstopper soft shell bibs and jacket. Rode through this past winter in the Chicago burbs except for a few weeks (8?) where the snow and ice was too deep and my bed was too comfy.
    Eyeing tires too but that's pandoras box...

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I really, really want to finish my build! Although I'm only as far as having the frame with the bottom bracket, handlebar and stem... Decided to go SS on this one for simplicity but it turns out that it might have made my build more difficult (thanks to the vertical dropouts). So quite a long way still to the day when I first get to ride it! But I will not give up and the dat I finish it, will be a glorious one!

I Ride for Donuts
    Quote Originally Posted by formula4speed View Post
    2 words, Karate Monkey.
    The KM and my Ogre are identical...the Ogre just has more holes in it for cages, racks, etc.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I want to build a winter commuter from the ground up before next winter.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    The KM and my Ogre are identical...the Ogre just has more holes in it for cages, racks, etc.
    I know, but you can have one of each and set up the KM single speed. I'm actually not sure how they are selling the KM now, I know they redesigned the frame recently, I got mine the last year before the change and love it as a SS MTB.

n+1

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast