Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2009

What do you commute in?

So as the temps warm up, what do you commute in? I have a 30 mile RT commute, and currently wear full length tights with a wicking Tee and a full length jersey over the top of that. As the temps warm up, I'm looking to get away from that obviously. I also currently have a bike rack that I'd like to possible get away from as well. I do have a Mule camelback, and was looking at the following possible scenario, and was wondering if anyone else does this/if it's a good idea.

I'm contemplating getting some convertable REI pants, so that I can take the bottoms off and stuff in my camelback, along with a wicking polo to change into. On the ride in I'll have a pair of short tights under the tops of the convertable pants, and a wicking tee. Then when I get to work all I'll really need to do is put on the polo and zip the pant legs back on. (luckily the dress code at work is pretty relaxed) This would get rid of the trunk/paniers I have on the bike rack, as well as the bike rack itself. before I go dropping more money at REI, I guess I'm looking to see if this seems like a decent approach, or what others have done.

No-Brakes Cougar
    Same thing I always wear; khakis or jeans, t-shirt or something semi-dressy for work and tennis shoes. If it's super-hot I may wear shorts.
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 Ė May 16, 2010

In the rear with the beer
    I'm in AZ, so we are already down to a light jersey and bike shorts....
    Salvation Outdoor
    "Take it Outside...Again!!!"

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I pretty much wear everyday street clothes. If the temperature allows, I wear cargo shorts, a tee shirt, and mountain bike cleats (I have a change of shoes at work).
    ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → В А

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    yeah, i have a change of shoes at work, but wearing work clothes on what is soon to be a 45 mile RT commute isn't goign to cut it. (my work clothes usually are jeans and an untucked polo, I sit in a cube and bang on a keyboard).

smell the saddle...
    Quote Originally Posted by dfess1
    yeah, i have a change of shoes at work, but wearing work clothes on what is soon to be a 45 mile RT commute isn't goign to cut it. (my work clothes usually are jeans and an untucked polo, I sit in a cube and bang on a keyboard).
    I use a Timbuk2 messenger bag. They come in all shapes and sizes. I have enough room in my medium bag to store: bike tools, tubes, repair stuff, my lunch kit, water bottle (coffee mug goes in my cage), spare change of clothes, towel, etc. I have room for plenty of more if needed.

Itís pretty relaxed here at work, so I usually ride in some Dickies or Corduroy pants (something tight in the crotch but loose fit I can roll up the legs). A loose long-sleeve t-shirt and cycling cap (I donít ride that fast and the helmet hinders my visibility in traffic). I bring a complete change of clothes from jeans, dress shirt, underwear, etc. I keep a stick of deodorant at work also. I take a shower before I leave the house and change into the fresh set when I get to work. It works out pretty good. In the summer months it gets humid here so Iíll have to get creative with hydrating, baby wipes, etc. I figure I can always take a Marine Corps shower in the bathroom sink if needed (Google that one or talk to a vet).

This morning I only changed my shirt. I usually wear a long-sleeve shirt untucked and wear the same street shoes (Vans slip-ons) I ride in I have clip pedals without the straps.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I commute in shorts or jogging pants and different shirts depending on the weather. I don't want to ride my bike in combat boots, navy cargo pants, uniform shirt, with my radio, pager, and other tools I have to use at work, plus the laptop and anything else I'll need for a 24 hr shift. I have to use the trunk bag plus a backpack. I really need to get a good set of panniers or baskets.

My Brain Hurts!
    When it is brisk like in spring and fall, I wear whatver I need to. Jeans and a sweatshirt or whatever. When it is summer and when it is very warm, a t shirt and shorts get the bill, but I do not have bike shorts so I wear briefs or a supporter to keep the boys from being mashed on the saddle....
    Remember when we were kids and our Mom's said we could not play in the mud? I'm making up for it now!!

nathan bay
    Apr 2007
    Can you leave a few days of work clothes at work? That way you ony have to use your paniers twice a week. I stuff pants and shirt in a backpack and change when I get there. My riding clothes are pretty obnoxious. Tights, shorts, rain pants or wind pants or ski pants. Jersrey, sleeves, longsleeve shirt, wind jacket or rain jacket or ski coat. Balaklava, earwarmers, neck gaiter, shoe covers or "seal skinz" socks, cycling gloves, cold weather cycling gloves, helmet. COME ON SPRING!!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Jeans and tshirt, when it gets hot, i lose the tshirt

weirdo
    Dfess, you already have a rack, panniers, and trunk bag and you`re thinking of strapping a big bag of water to your sweaty back for 30 miles worth of summer riding every day? To each his own, I guess, but why on earth do you want so badly to be free of your rack?

thing that should not be
    well i commute to work prolly abt 2-3 times a week, more or less depending on how tired i feel. I ride my giant hardtail on some kenda sb8s....my trusty chrome messenger bag or my velocity bag (ortlieb lookin messenger pack) with my work clothes and nessecities...

mines a 22-23 km round trip.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar
    Dfess, you already have a rack, panniers, and trunk bag and you`re thinking of strapping a big bag of water to your sweaty back for 30 miles worth of summer riding every day? To each his own, I guess, but why on earth do you want so badly to be free of your rack?
    well, I haven't really hit summer yet, so it may change at that point. I was just trying to get away from the rack I suppose. I feel a little less stable with it on there, as it's attached to my seatpost. It doesn't move by any means, I guess because I already weigh too much, I was trying to shed whatever weight I could.

smell the saddle...
    Quote Originally Posted by dfess1
    well, I haven't really hit summer yet, so it may change at that point. I was just trying to get away from the rack I suppose. I feel a little less stable with it on there, as it's attached to my seatpost. It doesn't move by any means, I guess because I already weigh too much, I was trying to shed whatever weight I could.

So if we understand you correctly, you are mainly interested in shedding the rack? If so, thereís an assortment of bags or backpacks you can use as others have suggested.

My motto has always been, I rather extra weight on me and not on the bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    well, I live in philly, and would like to be able to hit some trails on the way home as well. I don't want to have to worry about a bike rack getting in the way. I live right off of the wiss, and have to ride through it to get home anyway. So I figured why not hit them up on the way home?

weirdo
    What are/is the wiss? Have you tried riding there with your rack already? Just a little more about racks before I jump off this soapbox- I`ve never used a clamp on rack, but I imagine you`d find a standard rack more stable, especially if you`re having problems with your clamp on swaying or bouncing on offroad sections. Don`t know if you can mount one on your bike or not, but they don`t have to be expensive. Also, maybe the Camelback won`t bother you, but you`ll probably be doing yourself a favor by hanging on to your rack(s) rather than giving it away before you know for sure that you can hang with the Camelback.

I guess you were mostly asking about clothes though. Fortunately for me, I only have a twenty minute commute and I change into a uniform at the plant, so it makes things easy. For all my riding though, I use street clothes bought with cycling in mind- loose enough to allow easy movement but not so baggy that they get caught on my saddle, chainrings, etc or turn into sails with the wind, light, well vented and easilly layered. Actually, the only cycling specific clothes I`ve ever had are my summer gloves, and I had no trouble with the batting gloves that I used before I bought my first pair of bike gloves.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    yeah, i'm not getting rid of the rack, just trying to get rid of it for the commute. It has it's place, like day/night trips, etc. I have a 29'er, and have not been able to find a rack that fits it properly (though I may not be looking in the right spot). I have a rack mounted on my hybrid, but that is currently being loaned to my brother.

What I ended up getting were some light convertable pants (north face) and a mesh/wicking polo. Both roll up nice and small into my pack. I just zipped off the legs and threw them int he pack, wore the shorts over my tights this morning. Seemed to work ok.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Any rack for 700c wheels will fit a 29er.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by emtnate
    Any rack for 700c wheels will fit a 29er.
    Unless he has disc brakes or no mounts. In that case, there are still options, but not all racks will work well.

nathan bay
    Apr 2007
    http://www.oldmanmountain.com/
    These will work well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar
    Unless he has disc brakes or no mounts. In that case, there are still options, but not all racks will work well.
    that's exactly the problem. I understand there are other options, as pointed out just above, but I have a hard time justifying 159 plus tax and shipping. I'm ok with the rack I have on there now, I guess I was just trying to get away from it. Perhaps I shouldn't be. I don't really know. Yesterday was a good day. A long day, but a good day. Ended up riding pretty close to 50 miles with just my pack. It made it fine, although a bit stuffed!

mtbr member
    I dress for a workout - shorts and T when warm, wind suit/sweats when cold. I ride at a pace to get a cardio workout, so I sweat a lot - luckily I can shower at work.

thing that should not be
    Yeah, same here, i got shower facilities available to me for a quick freshen up before work. Basically i ride in comfy bermudas, nice wicking sport tshirt, my trusty Buff worn as a face mask to filter the morning rush hour vehicle fumes.

dirtbag
    My commute is only a mile and a half so I commute in my work clothes. They do have showers and lockers here at work so if I had a longer commute I'd rather wear cycling clothing so I don't get that cycling funk smell at work.
    Amolan

mtbr member
    I only commute two or three times a week but it's 22 miles each way so I take my road bike and dress for the ride, not for work, and shower/change at my gym which is right down the street from work. I carry my stuff in a daypack that takes a Camelbak bladder. And I clip the sternum strap and waist belt to keep everything tight! Unless I'm carrying something bigger than 8 1/2 x 11, a flappy, lopsided messenger bag doesn't make sense to me. I've never been comfortable with racks, and the pack easily fits lunch, shorts, shirt and flippers.
    we're all on the same team.

warning: bike shop employee

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast