Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    Moderator Moderator

What did someone yell at you?

I usually don't get many yellers, especially in winter, but got a couple in the last week. Of course these comments are much funnier and more intelligible inside the car, but I think I got:
    "Shift!!!...or was that Shi*???
    Last week I think it was Go Faster, but perhaps it was Go F Yourself!

crap magnet
    "Get on the sidewalk, Lance!"

and just last week:

"It's called a CROSS F*&%ING WALK!!!"
    When you find yourself on the side of the majority it's time to pause and reflect.
    -Mark Twain

workin' it Administrator
    I had a heckler once at a bike light. As the light went red for him and a carefully progressed across the intersection, he went on a tirade about my shorts and clothes and my bike and my manhood. I just laughed it off and waved gaily back. He continued to yell as his light went green and he took off down the street perpendicular to mine. Weirdest thing I have ever had.

Felt like I was at a stand up session at a Laughs or something.
    Try this: HTFU

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Had a cop yell at me, saying i was going to die. Despite riding perfectly legally, and helmet lights etc.

I have a lot of respect for our police, fire fighters etc, bu that guy really pissed me off

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Odii View Post
    Had a cop yell at me, saying i was going to die. Despite riding perfectly legally, and helmet lights etc.

I have a lot of respect for our police, fire fighters etc, bu that guy really pissed me off
    And you'd be arrested if you told him the same thing.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Fun thread

I ride with ear buds (I know, I know cars are attracted to cyclists with ear buds and will not crash into you if you can hear them coming... or something like that... anyway) so I can't hear the inane crap that people yell at me and what I do hear I can't remember. Usually it is something like yaaaaaahhaaaahhhaaa. Car yellers aren't usually that articulate.

Funny, I was thinking of starting a similar thread on my ride home when somebody got right up aside of me and gave a long honk. I was thinking it would be interesting to know what is going on inside their head when they do it. I've come up with:
    • >They are trying to help by letting me know they are there, not that helpful.
    • >They entertain themselves by startling people, they must lead rich lives.
    • >They are weak souls and being in a car gives them power, and a quick getaway.
    • >They are just A-holes, seems most likely.

Sometime I need to catch up to them and ask.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    "RRRRAAAAAHHHHHHH" (guttural scream)
    "WOOF!" (dog hanging out the window, almost scared me onto the sidewalk)
    "Hey f@ggot!"
    "Get on the sidewalk!"
    "MUUUPHEWWWW!" (general unintelligible doppler-affected scream at 40+MPH)

~Disc~Golf~
    "Get a Car!"

and then they decided to throw $20,000 at me - (in singles)
    What am I, a stripper?
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    "It's called a CROSS F*&%ING WALK!!!"
    I get that one a lot at the light right up the street from my house. I have three steel bikes and only one of them will sometimes trip the sensor so I hit the button at the cross walk. Plenty of people yell stuff about my "cool" bike when I am riding one of my recumbents.

I also had an old crone tell me to get off her effing road a while back. I took the lane on a very short bridge and she couldn't wait so she went halfway into the oncoming lane of traffic to pass me. I just smiled and told her to have a nice day!

bi-winning
    "You have to stop too" - from a driver as I blew a stop sign
    "You're making us all look bad" - from a person on an e-bike, as I blew a stoplight
    "Get off the road, cyclist" - from a passenger as i was JRA

The last one was funny, because at first I was like, what?! No legitimately angry motorist would refer to me as a "cyclist." Sure enough, I discovered it was a co-worker of mine joking around.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    It's very snowy/wintery here, so most people who see me commuting 5+ miles a day on a bike think I'm crazy.

But I had some woman have the nerve to tell me that riding that "thing" to work is very un-professional.

I asked her how so, she couldn't give me any valid reasons after I pointed out that I do get to work on time, I don't smell when I get there, how does riding a bicycle effect job performance and that given your weight, you'd actually benefit from riding one, and I promptly left the store to a "F*ck you!"

But I really didn't care. If you dish out the hate, you better be willing to receive the ball back in your court if you ask me.

I felt my point had been made.

I love heckling idiots who somehow think they're in the right for no reason. "Ride on the sidewalk @ss hole!!" Which I find funny, because it's illegal for cyclists to ride on many sidewalks in the town. Not my fault the city council voted that way. You don't like it, go get the law changed.
    -Eric
    Keeping the hardtail dream alive, one ride at a time.

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by esundell90 View Post
    I love heckling idiots who somehow think they're in the right for no reason. "Ride on the sidewalk @ss hole!!" Which I find funny, because it's illegal for cyclists to ride on many sidewalks in the town. Not my fault the city council voted that way. You don't like it, go get the law changed.
    yup.
    And!, I'd like to point out that riding on the sideWALK is more dangerous anyhow - not just to the cyclist, but to PEDs

mtbr member
    I thought this one was kinda funny:..I was carrying my bike to the gas station to get the tire pumped up (I was a slacker)..and he yelled at me "You're supposed to ride it"

another situation some guy yelling at me for cutting thru traffic (that was at a stand still)...He yelled "you're not supposed to cut thru traffic like that"...I politely told him to f*ck off...this was in my angst filled youth in the early 90s.

I also had a guy throw a beer can (full) at me...and missed...and I yelled ya missed me ya drunk f*ck

I was riding up a hill and some guy yelled at me that I was riding the wrong way (I should be going downhill) and I told him "I already did that an hour ago"
    Last edited by Dresdenlock; 01-25-2012 at 08:18 AM.
    We Can't Stop Here...This Is Bat Country.
    Out Of Step.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Yeah, "Get a car!"

I have one...

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by Dresdenlock View Post
    II also had a guy throw a beer can (full) at me...and missed...and I yelled ya missed me ya drunk f*ck
    I hope ya grabbed it to give to the 'friend you were about to see!

PRETENDURO
    “Dude! Those tires fucking rock!!!” Heard while commuting home from work a couple weeks ago on my 26"x3.8" tire shod 9:zero:7 monsterbike.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

weirdo
    I understand horns and fingers, but very rarely can make sense of what people yell. The 40MPH doppler issue is part of it, but I spend most of my time at sub 15 (and an embarrasing amount at sub 10) and I still don`t get the words. Helmet induced distortion?

The best story I`ve heard about yelling at cyclists was a few years ago on rbr. A guy`s embarrased wife related one day that she`d yelled "Nice butt!" to a rider who she THOUGHT was her husband but when the rider turned around she realized it wasn`t him.
    Recalculating....

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by dm1333 View Post
    Plenty of people yell stuff about my "cool" bike when I am riding one of my recumbents.
    Hey, DM! Nice to see another `bent rider here- there aren`t a whole lot of us on this board.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I had one lady say next time you do that I'm going to run you over because I took the lane. In SF, the light rail lines run down the middle of the street because they were established before the communities and streets around them existed. So what they have are raised islands in the middle of the road for passengers but the lanes narrow significantly where those islands exist.

This kind of thing: Google Maps

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by maxforce View Post
    Yeah, "Get a car!"

I have one...
    I laugh when people yell that, I have 2 cars, I just normally leave them in my driveway during the week unless I need them.
    -Eric
    Keeping the hardtail dream alive, one ride at a time.

I get the "go Lance!" thing every once in a while. I had a glass beer bottle thrown at me on a road where the speed will usually exceed 45-50mph; barely missed me. Most people around here do a good job of ignoring you and doing their best to run you off the road in the process. That or they Doppler yell at me.

Sometimes if I see a cyclist I'll do my part to make their day and yell something about "go (insert pro racer that's not Lance here)!"Because if that happened to me I'd smile.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Id scrap the passion forum all together, its a breeding ground for unicorn milkers, rainbow chasers and candy cotton farters.

psycho cyclo addict
    F-bombs to the max when riding on a one-lane each way road with double yellow line and plenty of relief on both sides (25 MPH speed limit for part of it and 35 elsewhere). There is a walking path however I choose to ride on the road when I am going full tilt to avoid running over babies in strollers, joggers, pets toddlers and walkers

The last guy who yelled all sorts of profanity was a spineless 'n scrawny little jagoff/schnook in a Toyota Camry. He shrunk in his seat when a light turned red and I ended up stopped next to him with a big grin on my face (just hoping he was going to get outta the car so I could drop the fool legally).

sheep in FOX clothing
    In the last 10 years I don't think I've ever had anyone scream anything other than variants of "get off the road" and "get out of my way". And I get those weekly.

I do some illegal moves too, but no one ever seems to care.

Still want a fat bike....
    I just get the old standby, "Get off the road!" or "Use the sidewalk!" and I just smile and wave. If I'm in a bad mood I only wave with one finger, but most times I am on my bike I am pretty happy, so I do my best to spread that joy by giving them my best ****-eating grin and waving at them.

mtbr member
    My best one was from just about this time last year. We'd gotten a foot of fresh snow the night before, which is really rare. My morning ride in is about as good as can be expected, and I'm riding on the road where I can but I'm also doing a lot of hike-a-biking through snowdrifts on the sidewalks.

So I'm on one of the hike-a-bike sections tossing my bike over a 2' drift when I hear this yelling. I look over and there's a woman in a green neon who has stopped in the middle of the street and rolled down her window to yell at me. She's screaming "You're crazy!" over and over in a thick German accent.

She's stopped on a one-lane, one-way road, yelling through her passenger window, and it's -20C out, and there's a jersey-barrier and probably 15' between us, and there are cars behind her honking at her, and I'm the crazy one.
    Last edited by newfangled; 01-25-2012 at 10:24 AM. Reason: spelling

Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast