Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

What did someone yell at you?

87K views 586 replies 219 participants last post by  DennisT 
#1 ·
I usually don't get many yellers, especially in winter, but got a couple in the last week. Of course these comments are much funnier and more intelligible inside the car, but I think I got:
"Shift!!!...or was that Shi*???
Last week I think it was Go Faster, but perhaps it was Go F Yourself!
:rolleyes:

#46 ·
I was riding on the far right of an 8' wide shoulder and some kids in a pretty cool looking mustang were going the other direction. The dude in the passenger side had long black hair, hangs out the wondow and yells "Dick" and chucks a half full bottle of Mountain Dew at me with the lid on. He was either good or lucky cause it tagged me right in the chest and hurt like hell. I turned my head back and saw that he had a pretty easy to remember license plate. I called the cops later but never took the time to go in and fill out a police report.

Two months later I'm getting gas, drinking a gatorade, standing there daydreaming and who is gassing up next to me but the same two little punks in the mustang, the passenger with long black hair and the same hat. I quietly walk over, yell "Dick" as loud as I can and hurl the Gatorade as hard as I can into his chest. I know it didn't hurt near as bad as mine but it sure surprised the crap out of him.

They asked why I did it and when I reminded them what they had done they started to get a horrified look on their faces. The both apologized about 20 times because I'm sure they thought I was going to whoop some butt. I just calmly turned and went back to my truck thoroughly satisfied. I don't thing they will be doing that again!

#32 ·
No yelling but a funny story. I was on a bike path that runs parrell to a street for mabey half a mile and crosses a street before it peels back into a park. I had a guy apparently upset because he had to wait 2 seconds for me to cross the street, pulled up beside me and tried to Bear Spray me through his passenger window. With the wind he probably got more back into his truck then I got. Justice, when I got the plates and discription. The guy got arrested for misdemeanor assault :)

#43 ·
I've been call about everything from gay to F***er.

One Night I was going home. It was about an hour before Sundown.
I'm riding in a Industrial Section about a quarter mile from a Stop Light.
This A$$#OLE comes up to me get right behind me and Blows his horn.
I hate when people do that cause it just scares the hell out of me.
So he goes by and he get caught at the light. So I come up be hind him on the Driver Side while he's still stopped. I get right up to his window that was rolled down about a quarter way down.
|I YELL BEEEP In HIS WINDOW.
Well now it took him a moment to collect himself. The Yell for me to stay off the road.
I told him I had just as much right on the road as he did.
The light turns Green.He goes by my in his BMW and yell out "YOU JEW'
My reply. Communist!

I was wearing my winter beard still so when I got home I shaved my Beard Off

#435 ·
Had a good one today, on 4 lane road (2 each way) a BMW driver (always seems to be BMWanker, LexAss or MerCrettin drivers or taxis), refused to change lane and tailgated me 500 meters to the next lights constantly horning. At the stop light he wound down his window and shouted that he has right of way and I am legally obliged to pull over to let him past as bicycles are not allowed on the roads. I pointed out both the logical flaw with his perception of the Road Traffic Act and that car drivers harassing cyclists is considered either Inconsiderate Driving or Dangerous Driving if serious enough both of which are offences as they are both defined in the RTA.
Anyway the lights go to green and they guy pulls in behind me again about 1 meter off my rear wheel and continues to horn at me. After about 200 meters of this I was considering pulling over just to get rid of the idiot when a cop appears out of nowhere and pulls the guy over. I stopped but the cop just waved me on my way so not sure whether he got a ticket (the normal cops don't normally dish out road tickets here just refer it to the traffic police) But it has made my day, been chuckling about it to myself; my colleagues keep giving me strange looks.

#25 · (Edited)
My best one was from just about this time last year. We'd gotten a foot of fresh snow the night before, which is really rare. My morning ride in is about as good as can be expected, and I'm riding on the road where I can but I'm also doing a lot of hike-a-biking through snowdrifts on the sidewalks.

So I'm on one of the hike-a-bike sections tossing my bike over a 2' drift when I hear this yelling. I look over and there's a woman in a green neon who has stopped in the middle of the street and rolled down her window to yell at me. She's screaming "You're crazy!" over and over in a thick German accent.

She's stopped on a one-lane, one-way road, yelling through her passenger window, and it's -20C out, and there's a jersey-barrier and probably 15' between us, and there are cars behind her honking at her, and I'm the crazy one.

#38 ·
Walking my bike in the dark up a bike path hill because the snow was too deep came across 2 ladies out with a dog on a leash. Front and rear flashing lights, petzl on my helmet, one of them looks at me and said in a friendly tone "are you serious?", we were getting record snowfalls at the time. I responded with "know that song called Dreamer? We'll that's me" and the two of them laughed, but right at that moment the dog leaped out and bit me on the leg. Poor ladies freaked out and I yelped because it hurt and was a total surprise. I was worried about holes in my clothing, bit me on a gator on the calf, but just ended up with a bruise. They offered a phone number and were really apologetic, guess my attire and lights spooked the dog, who had never done anything before like that. Now I'm totally paranoid around dogs while riding.

The other winter I had a bus driver open his window and yell at me "you're a moron!", we were at a 4 way stop doing the you go I go no you go thing because we had arrived at the same time, and I went, guess I had misunderstood him? Whatever, no reason to yell. I find the best response is no response to people like that.

#48 ·
Reminds me a guy with a severe short man syndrome honked and yelled something unintelligible at me from behind for taking the lane where there was not room for both of us while we sat at a stagger- corner light. My ignoring him must have hurt his feelings. I launched hard and fast. He floored it and passed me just as I apexed the right turn into the nearly straight on street on the other side of the intersection. Had I not been leaning, he would have mirrored me. I was willing to chock him up as an idiot. When he waved in his mirror clearly gloating. So I gave him an Italian salute. That infuriated him (apparently free speech in hand jestures was only for him, same as using the roads), so he pulled over and got out as I caught him.

He got in my face yelling, "No one gives me the finger!"

I was expecting an assault, so this was cool and I said calmly, "Looks like I just did."

Then he threatened me with bodily harm. I figured if he was he'd have done so, so I just crossed my arms over my barrel chest and I looked down my nose at him and said "I don't fancy your chances." ( I was lean and fit with 8 inches of height and maybe 30 pounds advantage, he had a gut). I think it sunk in I was prepared to open a can of whoop-a$$. He suddenly remembered his daughter in the back seat and the pizza getting cold. Strange he did not remember to set an example for her on how to yield to legal traffic and not be a complete jerk. Kipling said something about keeping your head while those about you lose theirs. Worked this time to not respond.

I sometimes wonder if he still has his own front teeth.

BrianMc

#54 ·
I envy you guys, when I get yelled at while riding (which is every time) I always flash to rage. I need to take some zen classes from you masters.

Though I do usually muster enough composure when people yell for me to "Get a car!" that I typically respond with "Get a bike!".

#55 ·
I envy you guys, when I get yelled at while riding (which is every time) I always flash to rage. I need to take some zen classes from you masters.

Though I do usually muster enough composure when people yell for me to "Get a car!" that I typically respond with "Get a bike!".
What I REALLY enjoy is when someone passes me like a bat out of hell....honking and just generally acting like an idiot. And then I happen to catch up because they are waiting at a long light. I usually do the ornery thing.....pass them....get in front...and then when the light changes go extremely slow and make them pass me all over again. I just smile and wave and usually give them a blast for the "Noisy Cricket" I have installed for JUST such occasions.....:ihih:

#72 ·
My derailler snapped so I was walking the last block to work. Needless to say I was not happy. I get the standard "Hey aren't you supposed to ride those things? HAHH" To which I replied "Why don't you bend over and I will see far I can ride it up your ass"
Better still, on the way to work a company van comes screeching to a halt attempting to make a right on red in front of me. I get the usual "Get the F outta the way!" Bad idea for him because I am his bosses boss and because he slammed on the brakes it triggered his dash cam. Needless to say he is no longer with us. We use his video in driver training as an example.

#73 ·
Needless to say he is no longer with us. We use his video in driver training as an example.
Did you have him meet with you with your bike and his boss in the process of learning that his services were no longer required?

Visualized conversation:

"Do you happen to remember when and where we last had a conversation?"

Dumfounded silence.

"No? Well maybe this video will jog your memory."

The look on his face should have been priceless.

BrianMc

#113 ·
Biking in the eastern suburbs of Melbourne, Australia.

A guy yelled out the passenger side "I don't know where I'm going!!!".

I yelled back "get a map!".

He pulls out a giant city map book about the size of a big phone book, waves it around and yells something else I couldn't make out.

Made me laugh. The driver was going a bit faster than me, probably 35-40 kph. They must have slowed down for their performance.

#139 ·
Another time two wood cutters jumped out of a short bed chevy gas 4WD pickup loaded with firewood at an AMPM. As I was bending over to lock up my townie one of them walks up to me and tells me what he thinks of people who ride bikes. Mostly that I must be gay. I looked at his boots - White Smokejumpers - I know because I own a pair for just that kind of work. I then looked over at his truck and thought to myself that my truck (Ford 7.3L diesel long bed double cab that weighs 8k lbs, his weighs 5k at best) could drag his truck all over town. Then I noticed goon number two standing ten feet back. Goon number two didn't look like he wanted any part of this, but there were two of them and they were both wearing heavy boots. I finished locking up my bike by unlocking my bike and rode away without saying a word. The irony of this is that on any other day I might look exactly like them. I was even there to buy beer, and I bet they were too. The b#llshit of this kind of thinking just baffles me. Onward and upward.

#131 ·
I took a chance that the pilot car driver was a nascar fan the other day in my road construction zone... it was a really long (2 miles or so) section that they were working on, so when he took off, I didn't waste any time getting right onto his bumper and taking advantage of the draft. It was a pickup with a camper shell, so a nice big brick to draft behind... I could see through the camper shell and through the window, so I felt totally safe, but I wasn't sure how he'd feel about me sitting 6 inches off of his rear bumper... There was a line of cars behind me, and the guy in front of the line was giving me lots of room... he looked a bit concerned. Pilot car guy creeped up to 35 or so and stayed about there. I think I pedaled 3 or 4 times the entire 2 miles. It was beautiful. When he drifted to the left at the end of the construction zone and I passed him on the right, he yelled "Nice draftin!" out the passenger window. I gave him a thumbs up and the lady that was stopping traffic going the other direction was laughing when I went past her.

Reactions: phirebug
#243 ·
Living in Germany (which is rated 3rd in Europe for most bike friendly country... whcih probably also means 3rd in the world) I don't often have these sort of hassles or interactions.

I have had two times where I had cars come close enough to me or honk that made me genuinely scared or mad... one time was an elderly gentleman, and the other was a fellow American...

I did however have a motorist pull up besdie me the other day while I was out in the road instead of the shared bicycle and pedestrian path (which is a little too crowded for 30-35kph cruising).

MOTIRST: "Dort gibt's ein radweg, das kannst du mal benutzen"
ME: "Dort gibt's mein asch, das kannst du mal lechen."

Rough translation:
MOTORIST: "There is a bike path you know you can use it!" (but with very snyde tone)
ME: There is my ass you know you can kiss it."

The translation does not do it justice, but in German it has a little more impact, as does the rudeness of his tone.

His response was a typically german scowl, and driving off very quickly....

The bike path ended and dumped into the road anyway 25 meters later---:rolleyes:

#245 ·
MOTIRST: "Dort gibt's ein radweg, das kannst du mal benutzen"
ME: "Dort gibt's mein asch, das kannst du mal lechen."

Rough translation:
MOTORIST: "There is a bike path you know you can use it!" (but with very snyde tone)
ME: There is my ass you know you can kiss it."
Ahh the efficiency of the German language. Thanks for the Smile:thumbsup:

#281 ·
I had a carload of guys yell F_g_ot at me and I smiled real cute and yelled back, "Is that your boyfriend?" as I pointed to the guy next to him. The others in the car laughed like hell.

When I lived in Tucson, I carried a pistol in my water bottle carrier...nobody yelled at me. ;)

One guy asked me once if I was a recovering alcoholic. I said no and asked him why and he said that he figured that only reason I rode a bike was that I could not get a license. Idiot!

Karma?? Once I was ridding down a side street when I saw this big fuzzy cat walking across the street. I glided right up behind him and did the mad cat hiss and howl, as if a cat myself. The cat puffed up and jumped a foot and pivoted like he was expecting to face a mountain lion. I laughed like crazy as I looked back at him. Then still laughing I rode by this house and doberman charged the fence barking at me as if he was satin. Scared me so bad that I almost fell over. :yikes: That was a quick turnaround for Mr Karma. Human scares cat...dog scares human. :lol:

#282 ·
I glided right up behind him and did the mad cat hiss and howl, as if a cat myself.
Oh, that's too funny! I did the same thing to a cat the other day that was casually strolling up a driveway. He jumped 3 feet up in the air and took off running without even looking back. I laughed so hard I almost wrecked. I don't thing he had a clue there was another living creature close by.

#301 ·
I got one last night too. Bunch of guys and beers silhouetted against the open garage door of the local Jeep repair/jackup joint, one yelled "Buddy go Buddy go!", no meanly, not nicely, kinda teasingly I guess. Since I had been contemplating evil earlier in the ride I opted not to reply, as it would reveal me as a female Buddy ("budd-ette"?).

#302 ·
I'm not sure if this counts, but when I was riding home from my LBS yesterday some lady started spastically flailing her arms at me as if to inform me that I should not be riding in the street and should instead be on the sidewalk. I could see her lips moving so I can assume she was yelling "Get off the road!" or something similar, but as her windows were closed, I couldn't hear her, and it just looked like she was was chewing on an enormous chunk of bubble gum. Or maybe a bran muffin; doesn't matter. But I digress, after a quick, confused expression on my part, I shot her the biggest, toothiest, dorkiest grin I possibly could and then kept on going!

#306 ·
Guy tried to fight me on the road this morning.... He was in his turbo subaru, I was in my slow jeep... He nearly crashed, blamed me. (not my fault). Pull up to a light and he's hanging out his car screaming that he's gonna kill me, so I tell him to pull over and I'll join him.

We pull over, he forgets to set his e-brake and jumps out and starts running towards me yelling, I calmly tell him his car is rolling away.... Car rolls into the ditch and he catches it in time to dive thru the window and pull the e-brake and prevent it from dropping all the way into the ditch. He runs back to me yelling he's gonna beat my ass..........

I calmly stand next to the jeep with my hand on my .45 (hidden from his view) and he starts yelling.. I extend my hand to shake his and say, "Dude I have no beef with you, I didn't pass 8 cars on the shoulder at 100+, you did. If you have a problem perhaps it's you. Now if you still want a fight I'm ready." He shook my hand, acknowledged he was driving like an ass, and apologized. Then we chatted for a minute, and I told him that I have no problem with the way he drives and I would drive that fast too if I had a car that could do it. Then I advised him that I'm a medic with ******* Fire Rescue and just 3 weeks ago we pulled a dead girl out of a subaru like his in the EXACT same spot for loosing control and crashing.

He kinda freaked out a bit, shook my hand 3 more times apologized and thanked me for not coming out of the jeep swingin and lookin for a fight.

Then we went on our separate ways. Now I'm at work saving other lives. HAHA

situation averted.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.