Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    ong
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I got a good one the other day. I was trying to turn left at a light. I started across the intersection as the light turned yellow, then an oncoming driver decided to gun it through the yellow, forcing me to hit the brakes and come to a stop in the intersection as the light turned red. I yelled something at him, and the driver behind me, who had seen it all, rolled down his window and yelled "I f*cking hate cars!"

somehow still alive
    as a cyclist myself I hate it when I'm driving either the fire engine or the ambulance emergent (lights and sirens) and the asshat cyclists don't pull over but stay 3-abreast taking up a lane.. That gets under my skin, because IMO it's blatant disrespect for anyone else in the world.

There's only a few guys around here that do it, most are good to move over, but damn it's pretty dumb.... for all they know I'm responding to put out a fire at their house or save their 5 year old who's choking to death.
    Not what you think.

My videos

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by ong View Post
    ... I was trying to turn left at a light. I started across the intersection as the light turned yellow,...
    this is confusing the fcuk out of me.
    Honestly... ahh I give up

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollyw00d View Post
    as a cyclist myself I hate it when I'm driving either the fire engine or the ambulance emergent (lights and sirens) and the asshat cyclists don't pull over but stay 3-abreast taking up a lane.. That gets under my skin, because IMO it's blatant disrespect for anyone else in the world.

There's only a few guys around here that do it, most are good to move over, but damn it's pretty dumb.... for all they know I'm responding to put out a fire at their house or save their 5 year old who's choking to death.
    that's asshat roadies - not commuters
    Honestly... ahh I give up

Clueless genius
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll View Post
    so they were totally right
    Touch`e my good sir. Touch`e.
    1994 Cannondale M400 2017 Felt Surplus 30
    1997 Marin Point Reyes 2013 Pivot Mach 5.7

somehow still alive
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll View Post
    that's asshat roadies - not commuters

I stand corrected.
    Not what you think.

My videos

mtbr member

A sheriff's deputy I know told me a couple of weeks ago he handed two tickets to two roadies who didn't pull over and stop for an ambulance. I'm not sure I believe him but it did make me feel good at the time.
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

mtbr member

Road [rider] rage?

I had a road rider - don't think he was commuting, must have been training or stava-ing - yell something as he passed me as I stopped, unclipped, and put a foot down to wait for the pedestrians who had entered the cross walk to pass in front of me. I still don't know what he was trying to tell me but I have some choice words for him.

somehow still alive
    Quote Originally Posted by junior1210 View Post
    A sheriff's deputy I know told me a couple of weeks ago he handed two tickets to two roadies who didn't pull over and stop for an ambulance. I'm not sure I believe him but it did make me feel good at the time.
    The do that up here quite often. Haha. And there's a cop that always writes speeding tickets to the roadies at this one particular spot on a hill. Makes me laugh every time.
    Not what you think.

My videos

mtbr member
    The do that up here quite often. Haha. And there's a cop that always writes speeding tickets to the roadies at this one particular spot on a hill. Makes me laugh every time.
    Almost makes me envious being able to pedal fast enough to get a speeding ticket. Almost.
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

weirdo
    What particular spot, Hollywood? I still have one vacation day to burn this year!

somehow still alive
    hahaha Boulder, CO. There are a few spots he rotates thru, but he always gets roadies at his secret spot.
    Not what you think.

My videos

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    When I'm downtown, I'm the dweeb yelling, "get a bike light!" at people.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

somehow still alive
    Quote Originally Posted by junior1210 View Post
    Almost makes me envious being able to pedal fast enough to get a speeding ticket. Almost.
    ah hell coming down this hill you could exceed the speedlimit on any bike.
    Not what you think.

My videos

ehigh, I do that too!

I was headed to the bus stop the other day and someone in an SUV honked at me. So I gave them the one finger salute. I do that when I get honked at for no reason, sorry folks. I caught up to her at the red light and we actually had a civil disussion. Here's most of what I remember of it, it'll give you the gist of it:
    Me- don't honk at me when I'm not doing anything wrong.

Her- I was just trying to let you know I was behind you.

Me- I'm in the road, I just assume there's cars behind me. All honks seem like mean honks and it upsets cyclists. The best thing to do is just treat us like cars.

Her- I thought you were supposed to ride in the right hand lane.

Me- not when I'm making a left hand turn.

Her- okay, sorry, have a good day!

Me- Thank you for understanding and not being aggressive! Have a great day too!

All this at a red light at about 7:00am. It was awesome and refreshing. Especially in a decidedly bicycle unfriendly city.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Id scrap the passion forum all together, its a breeding ground for unicorn milkers, rainbow chasers and candy cotton farters.

since 4/10/2009
    I was sitting at a red light, waiting for it to change. I was the first in line and I wanted to go straight. first car behind me honks at me (light is red). I never said a word, but I wasn't going to be intimidated by some fat chick who wants to turn right. the light turns green and before I have a chance to go, she starts getting belligerent trying to scare me to move. there's no way you could be dumb enough to intentionally run someone over directly in front of the courthouse and less than a block from the police station. bluff: called.

I hold my ground and am ready to throw my steel bike through her windshield if things get nasty. she leans out the window and yells, "move yo ass, cracker!" I gotta say, that's my first racial slur. it's also my first time getting a negative yell in 4.5yrs in this town.

I wish I had gotten her plate number so I could report her to the cops. a little visit might have been educational. if there wasn't a bunch of traffic behind her, I'd have called the police right there in the intersection. I'm sure every cop in town recognizes my bike because I'm lit up like a UFO at night.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Got this today:

"no wonder you pricks get run over"

From a dude driving a van who was angry because I took the lane for about 40m.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

Moderator Moderator
    ^^ That's awful. Hope the rest of your day is better.

GoCyco
    Nov 2005
    Some old guy on his porch yelled at 4 of us as we rode by, "get outta the road, you don't pay taxes!"

Getaway Cycle Center
    Nov 2007

many just beep

my response.....

put out my left hand showing my palm as if i am going to stop......as i do this i drift in front of them.....causing the beeping to stop becasue they are surprised i am doing that.....
    then my open palm turns into "the finger" as i wave them by me.......screaming at them.....
    "dont worry....youll be OK.....you can pass me now"....as they pass I am laughing at their scowling faces.

CB of the East
    I think this:
    Quote Originally Posted by R+P+K View Post
    "no wonder you pricks get run over"

From a dude driving a van who was angry because I took the lane for about 40m...
    Is because of this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickt30 View Post
    .....then my open palm turns into "the finger" as i wave them by me.......screaming at them....."dont worry....youll be OK.....you can pass me now"....as they pass I am laughing at their scowling faces.
    Vicious cycle here.

weirdo
    Terrible, RPK. I hope that isn`t the norm for you.

I got yelled at twice on last night`s commute. I think that just about doubles the number of midcommute yells I`ve recieved
    1st: "Hi, honey!" from my wife, who stopped in the middle of the road on her way by in the other direction.
    2nd "Gklr...frudsw....drkts...bike!" from one of the Job Corps kids whose campus I ride past every night.
    Recalculating....

Getaway Cycle Center
    Nov 2007
    [QUOTE=monzie;9767463]ehigh, I do that too!

I was headed to the bus stop the other day and someone in an SUV honked at me. So I gave them the one finger salute. I do that when I get honked at for no reason, sorry folks. I caught up to her at the red light and we actually had a civil disussion.

i get the warning beeps and dont usually react, except for the "i am slowing hand signal" which kind of slows the whole pace down more for my safety and not for there feelings.....but if it is a long angry honk then.....as mentioned above....my true feeling come out.
    These people were angry before they came upon me......

Yes the civil talk out is great and refreshing but a very low freq of people actually want to listen and talk it out.

CB of the East
    Understood. The a-holes in cars are the enemy, we all know that. Giving them the finger just fuels the fire. A nice overly friendly wave usually pisses them off just as much but then you don't look like the bad guy.

Agreed that civil talks aren't the norm both because it is logistically hard and people in cars are mostly idiots.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    I got yelled at twice on last night`s commute. I think that just about doubles the number of midcommute yells I`ve recieved
    1st: "Hi, honey!" from my wife, who stopped in the middle of the road on her way by in the other direction.
    Clearly, your wife should go on a global goodwill tour, providing random "Hi, Honey" 's to uplift the spirits of shopworn cyclists everywhere.

mtbr member
    Riding home the other night some crazy old dude on the multi-use path screamed at me "Someone's gonna kick your a@@ for blinding them with that light"

I just smiled and waved, thinking to myself, if they're going to kick my a@@ at least that means they see me.

Some people.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by blockphi View Post
    Riding home the other night some crazy old dude on the multi-use path screamed at me "Someone's gonna kick your a@@ for blinding them with that light"

I just smiled and waved, thinking to myself, if they're going to kick my a@@ at least that means they see me.

Some people.
    I get all kinds of comments from pedestrians about how bright my light is. I ride through a college campus on my commute, so there are a lot of them. Nobody's gone that far before, but every evening on the 1/2 mi of campus I cross, I get a few complaints almost always in front of the library where there's a bit of a bottleneck.

mtbr member
    May 2006

Some people.
    I ride with a helmet mounted light and one on the bars....

The one on the bars can move up and down with just a push....

So I can dip the lights easily to avoid blinding people...or to help make a motorist notice me...

Blinding people is kinda of rude in my opinion.

mtbr member
    ^^ "Can you still see?", you ask

"Yeah, no thanks to you!", says he.

"Then I did not blind you.", says you.

Expletives follow in response to your impeccable logic.

Several conditions reduce the speed the iris contracts or make it flutter. I know I had one, now cured. If he is sensitive to bright lights he should know. The bright blue headlights used to mess me up for a dangerous amount of time after they passed. No longer.

BrianMc

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I haven't been commuting regularly but for a couple of months. The only thing I've had yelled at me was "good use of hand signals!" with a smile and thumbs up from the driver, as I crossed two lanes of traffic to get in the turning lane.

Salsa Casseroll SS.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I had a carload of guys yell F_g_ot at me and I smiled real cute and yelled back, "Is that your boyfriend?" as I pointed to the guy next to him. The others in the car laughed like hell.

When I lived in Tucson, I carried a pistol in my water bottle carrier...nobody yelled at me.

One guy asked me once if I was a recovering alcoholic. I said no and asked him why and he said that he figured that only reason I rode a bike was that I could not get a license. Idiot!

Karma?? Once I was ridding down a side street when I saw this big fuzzy cat walking across the street. I glided right up behind him and did the mad cat hiss and howl, as if a cat myself. The cat puffed up and jumped a foot and pivoted like he was expecting to face a mountain lion. I laughed like crazy as I looked back at him. Then still laughing I rode by this house and doberman charged the fence barking at me as if he was satin. Scared me so bad that I almost fell over. That was a quick turnaround for Mr Karma. Human scares cat...dog scares human.

Natural Born Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by OldschoolReloaded View Post
    I glided right up behind him and did the mad cat hiss and howl, as if a cat myself.
    Oh, that's too funny! I did the same thing to a cat the other day that was casually strolling up a driveway. He jumped 3 feet up in the air and took off running without even looking back. I laughed so hard I almost wrecked. I don't thing he had a clue there was another living creature close by.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skrufryder View Post
    Silly rabbit Jack Daniel drinking donkey kissing caterpiller

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by iamJ4R0N View Post
    I haven't been commuting regularly but for a couple of months. The only thing I've had yelled at me was "good use of hand signals!" with a smile and thumbs up from the driver, as I crossed two lanes of traffic to get in the turning lane.

Look out for a mass influx of cyclists to Hayward CA!

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    When riding at night on the MUP it's good form to cover your light when approaching oncoming peds and cyclists.

mtbr member
    I got the "Hey Baby! Loking good!" the other day. It was my wife.

I usually resond to yells with witty repartee after they're long gone, for instance...

Them: "A car's only $16,000!"
    Me (5 minutes later): "If I spent all that on a car I couldn't afford your mom."

Them: "Yaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!"
    Me (5 minutes later): "Oooo...good one! No one's every yelled at me like that before!"

Unhinged Aussie on a 29er
    "Thanks for the blinding light, *******"
    "Anytime!!"

*sheilding eyes* "Lights!!"
    "Yeah, you need some."

Most of the comments I get are about my lights come to think of it. I have a Vis360 on the helmet, Seca 400 on the bars and now a Supernova E3 on the crown nut. Honestly, I don't know how these people ride in traffic. My Seca 400's are 100 Lumens on low... that's barely anything.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    This September I was riding home from some singletrack and pulled up next to a car full of teenage girls at a stop light. As I pulled away, the one in the passenger seat yells "NICE BUTT!" I'm positive she was being sarcastic as I'm 140 lbs and 5' 10" and have absolutely no butt. Either that or she just likes dudes with no butt in spandex. The first time I commuted on a bicycle, I crossed the first road leaving my house and a guy in a lawncare truck yells "FAGG@T!" I looked up and it was a customer from the shop I work at. He had no idea it was me. He probably wonders why his motorcycle parts are so much more expensive now. The third time was last summer. I was riding my road bike home and passed a young couple. The dude was the standard Central Ohio Thug-billy, wearing tight Wrangler type jeans and big cubic zirconia earrings. His girlfriend was smoking hot. Anyway, as I passed them, he looks up and says "You look gay, dude." I started to lash out but then thought, "I am dressed like a di#k right now." and rode home. Have also had several undecipherable screams.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I was in the City and a Sheriffs Helicopter started to hover above with the loudspeaker blaring "cyclist in the.....( inaudible )!! I didnt immediately "do" anything because I had my headphones on and was listening to some Generic Trance playlist, and was waiting for the breakbeat.
    There was literally a whole bunch of people on bikes, some I had never seen B4. Ethnic types because I was in a *NEW* section of town. I am versed in English, had nowhere to go and by the tone of the voices around me behind the chop-choppa of the helicopters blades sensed that someone, possibly me was going to Jail............

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    So I can dip the lights easily to avoid blinding people...or to help make a motorist notice me...

Blinding people is kinda of rude in my opinion.
    +1

It's also very dangerous.

since 4/10/2009
    I put my hand in front of my light to alert drivers to something.

Pedestrians can get over it. My lights are no brighter than car or motorcycle lights and you don't see pedestrians cursing at every one of them that passes

My light aims down from the bike to maybe 20-30ft in front of me so I don't blind people on the road. And nobody complains there.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    I put my hand in front of my light to alert drivers to something.

Pedestrians can get over it. My lights are no brighter than car or motorcycle lights and you don't see pedestrians cursing at every one of them that passes

My light aims down from the bike to maybe 20-30ft in front of me so I don't blind people on the road. And nobody complains there.
    For someone who is always on other people o=about what they are doing wrong...

That is a very belligerant attitude....

Your light is bright and it bothers people.....there are many easy fixes you should pick one and start using it.

since 4/10/2009
    For someone who is always on other people o=about what they are doing wrong...

That is a very belligerant attitude....

Your light is bright and it bothers people.....there are many easy fixes you should pick one and start using it.
    My point was that I don't think pedestrians are actually blinded by my light because because I have taken steps to ensure I'm not blinding people with it. they're not saying the same things when cars and motorcycles drive by. I think they're just surprised to see such a light on a bicycle, and people (as this whole thread illustrates) like to yell at people on bicycles for stupid reasons.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    My point was that I don't think pedestrians are actually blinded by my light because because I have taken steps to ensure I'm not blinding people with it.Clearly not so they're not saying the same things when cars and motorcycles drive by. I think they're just surprised to see such a light on a bicycle, and people (as this whole thread illustrates) like to yell at people on bicycles for stupid reasons.
    They are noticably upset that your light is to bright.....you are getting yelled at because you are unneccessarily bothering people...

There is no need to upset people...

Just because you are not permanently blinding someone....does not mean that you are not temporally compromising their vision...

Again there are easy ways to avoid doing this, you should pick one and start doing it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I commute through a city park that connects to an apartment complex just about every day. One time as I was getting ready to turn into the park these two young guys yelled "Get off the road ******!" I've seen this car nearly every time I pass through there complex so I am sure they live there. Sure enough they get home before I pass through and they are out of the car talking to two girls. I pedal casually by and in my best effeminate voice say "Looking good boys!" to all their astonished looks.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Passed a blind guy to today in an intersection.....

He yells hey make some noise....

Guess I must have been riding a little too smooth so my bearbell wasn't dingling.

mtbr member
    They are noticably upset that your light is to bright.....you are getting yelled at because you are unneccessarily bothering people...

There is no need to upset people...

Just because you are not permanently blinding someone....does not mean that you are not temporally compromising their vision...

Again there are easy ways to avoid doing this, you should pick one and start doing it.
    Jeff, I agree we don't need to be any more offensive than we are to some people. I also think that some people just like to complain especially about cyclists using their MUP. I would like to see pedestrians carry some lights and not be ninja. So this share the road or MUP goes both ways.

Assuming that NateHawk has experienced his lights first hand and found them tolerable, then it is the other guys issue. We can't please everyone all the time. Our safety and theirs kicks in over a mild discomfort on a few. I spent a lot of time getting my lights to work well and not blind drivers. I can aim them away from walkers when I need to. I did this by standing the bike up with lights on and walking toward them at normal height and bent low for a shorter person and found them tolerable. This is a bit of a problem with a generator system, but it can be done.

I don't buy into the argument that we must avoid upsetting everyone at all costs. Otherwise I would not risk posting in forums!

BrianMc

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    Jeff, I agree we don't need to be any more offensive than we are to some people. I also think that some people just like to complain especially about cyclists using their MUP. I would like to see pedestrians carry some lights and not be ninja. So this share the road or MUP goes both ways.

Assuming that NateHawk has experienced his lights first hand and found them tolerable, then it is the other guys issue.From my reading I beleive it is more than likely Natehawks issue We can't please everyone all the time. Our safety and theirs kicks in over a mild discomfort not neccessarilly mild if you temporially blind some one and they twist an ankleon a few. I spent a lot of time getting my lights to work well and not blind drivers. I can aim them away from walkers when I need to. I did this by standing the bike up with lights on and walking toward them at normal height and bent low for a shorter person and found them tolerable. This is a bit of a problem with a generator system, but it can be done.

I don't buy into the argument that we must avoid upsetting everyone at all costs. Otherwise I would not risk posting in forums!

BrianMc
    Of course the world lives by compromise....

What I see here is lack of compromise and arrogance.

Safety is also a world of compromise, mitigating hazards for yourself and everyone around you is the best course.

mtbr member
    My point was that I don't think pedestrians are actually blinded by my light because because I have taken steps to ensure I'm not blinding people with it.
    Are you on flashing or solid mode? A fairly bright flashing can be a lot more annoying than a really bright solid. I've had someone's oncoming helmet-mounted strobe leave me pretty much completely blind because the eyes can't adjust quickly enough.

But anyway, earlier this week I got "Get off the grass!" even though the grass is under a foot of snow, and I was clearly riding on the sidewalk. Pffft, people.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    "Hey ******!"

Not exactly original.
    Bike angry.

since 4/10/2009
    Got my first "get on the sidewalk" yell in a long time. Came from some kind of luxury/semi luxury car. I needed to make a grocery run, so my usual road stretch on this road was a hair longer than usual. I usually only ride it for a hundred yards or so before heading off onto a side street. I still went less than a mile. Maybe half a mile. Multiple lights, but I hit green through them all. I was cruising around 20mph, I'd figure. I was pushing myself a bit, and my relaxed cruise is usually about 16-17. A lot of cars don't go faster than 20mph on this road and nobody yells or honks at them.

I got the yell right about when I extended my right arm to signal my turn.
    *eyeroll*

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast