Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast
    A few more from some time ago:

I was on my way to work a few years ago and the road I had to take was one where two okay-sized lanes become three very very narrow lanes about a half mile before I had to make a left. As I'm about to start trying to make my way across a death-wish traffic cluster-**** a state van comes speeding by me and then slows next to me and forced me into the curb. I was too busy trying to not die to get the plates.

Another time, a soccer mom in a grocery-getter van rode my rear tire and was laying on her horn for about a quarter mile. Then, speeds passed me with a scowl. Luckily for her I had just had a beverage that had made me all mucus-y. I immediately started the forcing of phlegm up as she passed knowing I'd catch her at the light. Sure enough, I caught her at the red--me hauling ass, her stopped--and luged all over her passenger window as the light turned green, I didn't even have to hit my brakes. When she drove by me I ice grilled her and she didn't even look over at me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Id scrap the passion forum all together, its a breeding ground for unicorn milkers, rainbow chasers and candy cotton farters.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    No yelling but somebody freaked me out with a laser pointer tonight. Green flash right in front of my wheel. Kind of a visual yell.

~*~*~*~*~
    Riding back from a mtb night ride, I had someone yell Nice lights! in a friendly fashion. Then, another time while waiting at a stop sign, the passenger in a car stopped next to me said Nice helmet. My helmet is nothing special so that one still puzzles me. He might have been being sarcastic, but he looked pretty sincere.
    I've also had the usual unintelligible scream a few times, but nothing really nasty, yet.

Dog Slow
    I had someone throw an onion at me one morning on my way to work, who the hell throws onions at cyclists?

workin' it Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Dog View Post
    I had someone throw an onion at me one morning on my way to work, who the hell throws onions at cyclists?
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandpa Simpson
    We can't bust heads like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to tell 'em stories that don't go anywhere - like the time I caught the ferry over to Shelbyville. I needed a new heel for my shoe, so, I decided to go to Morganville, which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on 'em. Give me five bees for a quarter, you'd say.

Now where were we? Oh yeah: the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn't have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
    Try this: HTFU

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    "That seat looks awfully uncomfortable compared to mine!"

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I've just read the posts in this thread and how lucky am I for not be the victim of the sarcastic motorists act on road.

I live in Indonesia. Most of the motorists here were pollite to the cyclists even though we have the most crowded traffic in the world. They never yelling or saying any sarcastic things to the cyclists.

The will slow down their vehicles a bit when they see a bike in sight and if you are impeding their way they just blowing a single horn at you.
    Last edited by cassava; 03-15-2012 at 11:39 PM.

www.bigrobracing.co.uk
    The favourite I had yelled at me was a brilliant hypocritical one, whilst I was wearing a fluorescent jacket and with an Exposure light turned on on both my helmet and my handlebars, this was yelled from a car that pulled out of a side road right into me as I crossed a junction. I was going straight ahead and it was my right of way:

"It's not my fault; I didn't see you! Anyway, you weren't indicating."

1. How did he know I wasn't indicating if he didn't see me???!!!
    2. I was going straight on (and it was my right of way), what the hell indication am I meant to give?!
    3. How the hell could I have made myself more visible?! Perhaps he didn't see me as he didn't look?

I pointed these out to the moron who almost killed me. He did at least have the courtesy to look embarrassed. No apology for almost killing me though

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by robdeanhove View Post
    The favourite I had yelled at me was a brilliant hypocritical one, whilst I was wearing a fluorescent jacket and with an Exposure light turned on on both my helmet and my handlebars, this was yelled from a car that pulled out of a side road right into me as I crossed a junction. I was going straight ahead and it was my right of way:

"It's not my fault; I didn't see you! Anyway, you weren't indicating."

-snip-
    He did at least have the courtesy to look embarrassed. No apology for almost killing me though
    Sounds like my Ram pickup driver who was 'distracted' by a police car so proceeded without looking properly.

"I did not see you." Means I did not look properly in bright sun with such a jacket or vest and lights. I pointed at myself and he just looked blank. (My lights are spayed out at 45 degrees and are about 1000 lumens as bright as a car headlight). No apology and the deputy supported the lame excuse. I was too shocked to press the issue. I got the 'So?' look. The deputy? Just plain lame. Maybe they were related. I hope this will be a lone experience, but I am now better prepared to deal with it.

BrianMc

mtbr member
    This thread reminds me that I actually used to get yelled at a lot more when I ran, than when I ride.

On the bike there's the occasional traffic-law-related debate, but when I used to run it was surprisingly common for cars to pass by with someone shrieking out of the passenger window. And I was just an average-height, average-build, white guy wearing average gym clothes - I look much weirder as a cyclist. I always wondered what sort of abuse gets hurled at the runners who are actually distinctive-looking.

sheep in FOX clothing
    Quote Originally Posted by robdeanhove View Post
    He did at least have the courtesy to look embarrassed. No apology for almost killing me though
    That's not too bad actually. If I get that far into a "what went wrong" discussion with a motorist, they are almost always flinging profanity-laden death threats by that point.

Suffice to say I don't like to chat much anymore.

Moderator Moderator
    Lamest anti-bike rant/general crotchetyness: "HEY! You can't ride your bike on that road anymore! That's our drinking water. The STATE says so!"

Geez, mountain bikes have been blamed for a lot, but impacting a drilled well from afar, I don't think so.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Huh?

mtbr member
    "517!" Laughingly, by a teen/college aged girl. I assume it was ironic or joking but I don't know what it means...

mtbr member
    517? Was that the contamination by clinging sock code in Monsters Inc.?

BrianMc

mtbr member
    "Go back to Africa!"

(I'm white.)

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Last fall I had a woman whistle (cat call) at me from the passenger seat of a car, I yelled back, "I AM NOT A PIECE OF MEAT!"

I Ride for Donuts
    I always think of that kind of response after the fact. I need to have some of those responses on standby. Good stuff.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I feel pretty fortunate here in Montana. I don't remember being yelled at. Our roads where I ride are pretty cycle friendly. And of course my trip to work in the morning starts at 3:30am so traffic is not much of sn issue on the wsy in. I do however have a can of bear spray strapped to my bars because bears and lions make regular appearances around these parts.
    As for sidewalks and stop signs.......I don't know the local laws and I am pretty sure the local law enforcement doesn't either. Or they just don't care. I ride on sidewalks where it is convenient (sidewalks around here are rarely used by PEDS, and I blow stop signs and generally just go where I want. Officers have seen me do all of the above and never batted an eye at me.

Huckin' trails
    Funny. I usually be the one yelling at the car drivers and pedestrians (even to other riders) who don't respect the driving code or just act stupid. Yeah, I'm that guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Today on my way home, from a group of youngsta's in metal band attire: "I like your cat!"

I was hauling my dog in a trailer.

Proof that too much weed is a bad thing...

weirdo
    ^^Haha! Or proof that metal is a bad thing.
    Do metal heads still smoke weed? I thought they had left that to the hippies and moved on to bigger and better dope.

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by ubernerd View Post
    Today on my way home, from a group of youngsta's in metal band attire: "I like your cat!"

I was hauling my dog in a trailer.

Proof that too much weed is a bad thing...
    what is metal-band attire these days?
    Honestly... ahh I give up

MTB, Road, Commuting
    I got a basic howl this morning or it could have been a hoot. It was premeditated because it was on a fast stretch of road and they had to see me, roll the window down, howl and roll the window back up. It must have been thrilling for them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Shout outs

After moving to a new city and dropping off the rental truck, I was not 5 minutes away on a side street when someone yelled that I should "get onto a bike route".

I yelled back that if I was in my car he would still be behind me. Poor chap was all confused and drove away.
    If you happen to see my lungs back there, tell them I've gone on ahead.

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast