Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    i got a great one today. i waited for like 10 minutes for a break in traffic so i could make a turn, and when i finally got one, i sprinted like crazy to get up to speed because i had to get over a couple lanes. as soon as i get up to speed and in my lane, the light turns red. i cursed audibly as i slammed on my brakes, and the driver of the car next to me, who had his window down, chuckled and offered this sage wisdom:
    "hey man...s*** happens."

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    "You can't pee there!!"

Which was fair enough because I was urinating on a tree at the side of the road.

But I don't mean to derail the thread but where else am I going to pee when I'm on an hour long commute and there's now bathrooms for miles?
    Buster Bluth. Yiddish for "seeker of toilets"

CB of the East
    Was the tree in the woods or in somebody's front yard with kids standing around waiting for a school bus? Maybe just a little further off the road. Actually, Bicycling had an article about this a while back. Hang on, I'll go get it. When Nature Calls

mtbr member
    oops
    Last edited by junior1210; 06-15-2012 at 02:12 PM.
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster Bluth View Post
    "You can't pee there!!"

Which was fair enough because I was urinating on a tree at the side of the road.

But I don't mean to derail the thread but where else am I going to pee when I'm on an hour long commute and there's now bathrooms for miles?
    I always toot my horn when I see someone peeing on the side of the road....

Mostly they wave.

mtbr member
    "F-you for riding!"
    From a buddy who could not get home from work soon enough to join us for an evening jaunt up El Cariso Truck Trail, and the ranger station loop.
    Sorry buddy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    Was the tree in the woods or in somebody's front yard with kids standing around waiting for a school bus? Maybe just a little further off the road. Actually, Bicycling had an article about this a while back. Hang on, I'll go get it. When Nature Calls
    Good article. Thanks.

I still don't know what I'll do if I ever get a surprise diarrhea attack in the middle of a ride. I've had some close calls I know.

CB of the East
    Somebody gave me the finger yesterday - Except, I was in my car and he was on the bike. I can't figure out what I might have done to slight him. He was going up a hill on a narrow very crappy road and I slowed down and followed until I could see over the hill to move to the other lane. The only thing I can think of is that he thought I cut in too fast but he was behind me, physics says there is not way he could have hit me. Not the kind of road you can hang out in the other lane for long. He was probably double pissed when he saw the 2 bike stickers on the back of my car.

weirdo
    Or this...

A couple years ago I pulled into a still closed for the season picnic area next to a mountain highway and took a long break. When I headed back towards the road, I noticed a car stopped at the closed gate with nobody in the drivers seat. I didn`t think much about it until I short-cut the exit to avoid hoisting my bike over the gate bar, crossed right between the gate and the locked restrooms, and saw the lady who had undoubtedly been driving that car squatted in the doorway of the restrooms, about six feet to my left. I just imagine what she must have thought- dying to go and no good options available, finally finds "good enough", then suddenly this bicycle comes out of nowhere (don`t they always?) and nearly runs over her toes! I didn`t acknowledge her, but really wanted to nod and say "good morning" as I went by.

Wanderer
    I actually had a cop about a year ago over the car loudspeaker say he was gonna run me over.

He just kept driving and didn't bother me but it was a pretty ****ty thing to do.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Toff View Post
    I actually had a cop about a year ago over the car loudspeaker say he was gonna run me over.

He just kept driving and didn't bother me but it was a pretty ****ty thing to do.
    If he had sirens and lights flashing and you were't getting over and stopped, he may have had a point.

They now have dash cams in many cruisers. I would hope a supervisor would take a dim view of such actions.

BrianMc

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Toff View Post

I had a unmarked cop car speeding up while I was turning. I was sh*tting bricks, I obviously pedal my butt off. He stopped at the lights and it was obvious he wasn't following anyone. I have zero respect for police officers in Toronto. I honestly don't know where they got their education but they lie to you when they left a message on my machine.

I have told to get off the road to f*** off. Even walking on the side I get yelled at by drivers. All in all my drivers are respectable but there's plenty of rude people that's for sure.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Recently a kid yelled "Are you my real dad??!!" I rode like hell after that.

mtbr member
    Had someone in a car yell for me to watch where i was going when i had one foot on the ground waiting for a green light to cross in virginia beach. The sun is killer here...

~Disc~Golf~
    This didn't happen while I was riding, but waiting to load a transit bus (my bike on rack)...
    Her: (Gesturing to another and myself with the finger) "Fcuk you and you for never smiling!"
    Me: (uhh?) [outward gesture- smirk/nod]

I smile when there is something pretty, or there is humor, etc.
    Not when there is a pear-shaped,mascara-lined, hair-fried, lip-smacking tweaker in my presence.

I've ridden with this C.unt many days lately when it gets over 100 - and keep to myself. What drives this behavior in people is beyond me man.
    Honestly... ahh I give up

banned
    Nov 2011
    I had a guy shoot his gun at me when I was riding one day. Thankfully he didn't hit me. I actually don't think he was really aiming at me. I think he may have been drunk and just wanted to scare me, because he was swerving big time and laughing as he drove away.

He sure as hell succeeded though. People like that are the reason why I never ride on the streets anymore.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

... and if we just ...

Best one i got is "your back wheel is catching up with your front wheel"

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Helicopter.....only thing i can come up with as to why was because it was night and I had the tail light on my bike on flash....guess at least I know they saw me so they were worth the money.
    If you have sex in a car with airbags....does that count as safe sex???

banned
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    A couple years ago I pulled into a still closed for the season picnic area next to a mountain highway and took a long break. When I headed back towards the road, I noticed a car stopped at the closed gate with nobody in the drivers seat. I didn`t think much about it until I short-cut the exit to avoid hoisting my bike over the gate bar, crossed right between the gate and the locked restrooms, and saw the lady who had undoubtedly been driving that car squatted in the doorway of the restrooms, about six feet to my left. I just imagine what she must have thought- dying to go and no good options available, finally finds "good enough", then suddenly this bicycle comes out of nowhere (don`t they always?) and nearly runs over her toes! I didn`t acknowledge her, but really wanted to nod and say "good morning" as I went by.
    Was she hot at least?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    sadly i wondered the same thing when i read that lol
    If you have sex in a car with airbags....does that count as safe sex???

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I got "Get out of the f^*%!ng road" the other day, country road with nothing else in sight. Guess he just would have preferred that I had stayed home while he is out driving on his roads...

Also had a cop yell out his window that I had to stay on the outside of the white line on the edge of a country road...most of the paint was hitting the dirt with an occasional inch or two of asphalt shoulder. I'm still trying to figure out what was going through his head.

CB of the East
    I got a "Way to go, good job! You're doing 24 mph!" It was nice to have a positive yeller for a change.

Still want a fat bike....
    I got a "Way to go, good job! You're doing 24 mph!" It was nice to have a positive yeller for a change.
    Closest I've come to positivity was a Jimmy Johns delivery guy give me the thumbs up. Why can't more people just be positive? Such a negative world for the most part. Why are you inconveniencing me by riding your bike and slowing me down for 10 seconds? I need to get to work. Do you really want to get to work anyway? And do those 10 seconds mean the difference between on time and late? If so, you may be cutting it a little close from the start. Time to loosen up the schedule buddy.
    I am a man of many words. KCCO!

Moderator Moderator
    Someone rang their dinner bell/schoolbell for me last week as I passed their house and said hi to folks on the deck. That was nice.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Addict View Post
    Was she hot at least?
    Honestly, I couldn`t say- just noticed she was there and didn`t stop to oggle.

Master Shredder
    I gave someone an "I LOVE YOU!" out the window when I was slightly inebriated last night...then I realize how annoying it really is to have anything yelled at you while biking.
    "Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads." -Back to the Future

Moderator Moderator
    "Hey its bikeman", from a toddler being carried across the road to daycare. Yelled with enthusiasm as if "bikeman" is "Superman". Technically that's bikewoman, but it's the thought that counts.

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by mk.utlra View Post
    I gave someone an "I LOVE YOU!" out the window when I was slightly inebriated last night...then I realize how annoying it really is to have anything yelled at you while biking.
    I'd take it! - that would probably make me smile all the way to my destination and then some! - not because someone loves me, but how off-beat it is! (in a good way)
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Something unintelligible and likely in a German dialect by an Amish boy on a bike on a narrow Ohio road as I exited a sharp left hand curve definitely on my side of the road. The gesture was "Get over!" Interesting as I was. He was moving at a good clip (20-25 mph) on the downhill with his coaster bike and five others following.

I suspect that so many drivers cut that corner (and it is a very narrow one at that) that if he hears tires on the loose flint coat stone and so knows a car is coming he just assumes it won't be sharing the road. I have to signal my neighbors to share the road in like fashion, but I only do it to the ones traveling down the center of a 20 foot road straight at me with no hint that they are going to give me half the road.

I feel for him but I am innocent, innocent, I tell you!

BrianMc

weirdo
    ^^Terror and self preservation being omnilingual, I wonder why he would yell at somebody he didn`t know in a language foreign to the area. Were you on a bike or in a cage?

mtbr member
    I was in a car in southern Wayne County almost Holmes County Ohio, definitely Amish country. Lots of road muffins and the horse powered vehicles they come from. Semi blind corner and possible oncoming buggies meant my speed was down to about the same as the cyclists', and I took a wide line. Maybe I surprised him. He was also in those early teen years and that could explain a lot, Amish or not. Being an idiot with extra testosterone running rampant is par for the course.

BrianMc

mtbr member

Not a yell

At my destination: "Are you a bicycle courier?"

I had a zipped folder in a ghetto panier, not a courier bag.

She got the 'green thing' to ride to a meeting, rather than drive. The times they are a changin'.

BrianMc

Unhinged Aussie on a 29er
    "I wish my legs looked like yours" while trackstanding at a light. I almost fell off the bike laughing.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    "I still love you, Lance!"
    Laughed so hard I almost crashed.

Bedwards Of The West
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster Bluth View Post
    "I still love you, Lance!"
    Laughed so hard I almost crashed.
    that's awesome.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Not so much what he yelled, but what he did and the outcome. I was crossing at a yield and this suped up truck had to slow down. Once I crossed he pinned it to act all cool. Little did he know the roads were slick from a rain and he spun out his nice truck onto the median. He was so pissed and freaking out in his truck. I pointed and gave him the nelson 'haha' and was on my way. Totally made my night.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Two days ago I had a lady slow down beside me as we was heading toward a hill. She asked if I wanted to grab on and have her drag me up the hill. I just said not thanks that'll defeat the purpose and she just laughed and pulled away!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    "Nice wheels!" - I think it was hooker.

Clueless genius
    Feb 2011
    Something along the lines of "WOOOOOOOOO!" or "HEY YOOOOUUUUUU!" followed by a cacophonous chorus of barking dogs from the backseat of their mini-SUV.
    1994 Cannondale M400 2017 Felt Surplus 30
    1997 Marin Point Reyes 2013 Pivot Mach 5.7

mtbr member
    Someone threw a large soda at me while I was waiting at a stop light but they missed. I caught up with them at the next stop light and they had that "Oh $h1T" look on and peeled out when the light turned green and hit a curb. Karma responds quickly!

the WALKING DEAD
    Jun 2006
    About 8 or 9 years ago I did something bad while driving my car. The situation was just too perfect, I couldn't help myself. It was late winter and there were alot of puddles around from the melting snow.
    There were these two heavy-metal looking dudes walking alongside the road. They both had long black hair, ankle length black leather trench coats, and their black jeans tucked into their combat boots. They looked like they just walked out of the Matrix.
    I had just a couple of seconds to decide if I was going to do something mean and I decided to just go for it.
    I drove through a long, deep puddle going around 30 mph and threw a big 4-5 foot wave of water on those two dudes. I looked in the rearview mirror and they were looking at eachother with shocked looks on their faces as dirty puddle water was dripping off their trench coats.
    I'd never done anything like that before and I've never done anything like it since. But, there's something about a couple of tough guys getting soaked that makes me laugh.
    My friends and I used to go to a lot of metal concerts and we were all in a bunch of mosh pits, but we've all got short hair (or no hair) and have long since retired the combat boots. They love it when I tell them that story.
    Your momma's so nasty, she keeps ice between her legs just to keep the crabs fresh.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by aph72 View Post
    About 8 or 9 years ago I did something bad while driving my car. The situation was just too perfect, I couldn't help myself. It was late winter and there were alot of puddles around from the melting snow.
    There were these two heavy-metal looking dudes walking alongside the road. They both had long black hair, ankle length black leather trench coats, and their black jeans tucked into their combat boots. They looked like they just walked out of the Matrix.
    I had just a couple of seconds to decide if I was going to do something mean and I decided to just go for it.
    I drove through a long, deep puddle going around 30 mph and threw a big 4-5 foot wave of water on those two dudes. I looked in the rearview mirror and they were looking at eachother with shocked looks on their faces as dirty puddle water was dripping off their trench coats.
    I'd never done anything like that before and I've never done anything like it since. But, there's something about a couple of tough guys getting soaked that makes me laugh.
    My friends and I used to go to a lot of metal concerts and we were all in a bunch of mosh pits, but we've all got short hair (or no hair) and have long since retired the combat boots. They love it when I tell them that story.
    You terrible terrible person!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I think I've only been yelled at twice. Both times it was something loud and incoherent, more to scare me than to express a point of view. The funny part was watching one of these yahoos get a strip torn off of him by his mother, who was driving the car.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecializedJim View Post
    Two days ago I had a lady slow down beside me as we was heading toward a hill. She asked if I wanted to grab on and have her drag me up the hill. I just said not thanks that'll defeat the purpose and she just laughed and pulled away!
    ^ thats awesome! Very cool lady. Have not had anyone shout at me in ages, but then, I have changed my commute so I ride to work mostly off road now, and am loving it!

Gumnut Peddler
    STRAAAAAAVAAAAAAA!

I had this from another rider on a commute into work one morning. He was being such a dick about it and riding like a fool that I decided to just burn past him. Tried to figure out who he was through the app, but didnt have much luck. I dont think he placed very highly.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Someone threw their Super Huge Slurpee at me in traffic.. A week later someone threw a Latte at my friend while we were JRA...
    I hate being yelled at by anyone in a car at all ever.

I totally run every stop sign there is no car at, but I still look both ways. Stop lights, not too often. I will ride on the sidewalk if I have to. When I ride, I assume there is no way that a person in a car can see me, so I ride accordingly. I never ever ever rock the headphones, but I do run a single i home speaker off my backpack.

My question without starting a new thread is "Does anyone commute in the wee hours of the morning?"

I ride to work in the dark at 5am on a rural highway, I'd like to know if there is someone that has a commute like this and has a preference in illumination I.E Reflectors and what-not. Currently running 3 red blinkies, a Stella and reflector tape all over and a hi-vis jacket.

Bedwards Of The West
    Quote Originally Posted by twowheelmotion View Post
    I totally run every stop sign there is no car at, ...

Stop lights, not too often...

I will ride on the sidewalk if I have to. ....

I hate being yelled at by anyone in a car at all ever.
    Insanity is doing the same thing over and over, and expecting different results

As for the "0-dark 30 commute, yes...I'm out there on rural highways in the dark for most of the winter... I don't have much traffic or other lights to fight with for attention. I run a single Superflash taillight, and some reflective bits on clothing/backpack. I've never had a close call. If there was more other sources of light to distract drivers coming up from behind me, I'd be more concerned...but I'm basically the only source of light they're seeing out of the windshield. I'm more concerned in the daylight, honestly. I KNOW they see me in the dark. You're already doing more than I am as far as visibility.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by twowheelmotion View Post
    ... I ride to work in the dark at 5am on a rural highway, I'd like to know if there is someone that has a commute like this and has a preference in illumination I.E Reflectors and what-not. Currently running 3 red blinkies, a Stella and reflector tape all over and a hi-vis jacket.
    I like to use a headlamp with the flash feature for the time of day between real dark where you need the headlight, and full daylight. I think it helps keep oncoming traffic from cutting you off. When it's solid dark I use the solid-on helmetlamp so I can shine it right at drivers that I suspect might be about to cut me off.

CB of the East
    Holy off topic Batman!!!!

I don't want to start a new thread but do you guys boil your eggs for 1 minute and then let them sit for 20 min or boil them for 2 minutes and let them sit for 10. I have a problem with my yolk turning dark.

Bedwards Of The West
    ^^ You're tempting fate with salmonella... wait, what's your altitude? You might be OK at sea level, but otherwise I'd just deal with the dark yolk

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast