Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast
    honez1414
    Jan 2011
    I had two young kids yell at me to get off the road. I just waved but this only empowered them to begin taunting and heckling. I calmly responded that it was just as much my road as theirs. This was a residential neighborhood. They sped on by and I thought nothing more about it till they returned from the opposite direction and decided to play chicken.

At this point I lost it. The scene was right out of a thug gangster movie. The driver was bearing down on me head on. The passenger was standing through the moon roof with a bandana tied around his face. I think he was attempting to throw gang signs and such but I'm really not sure.

I snapped and decleated from the bike. I gently rolled the bike to the ditch and charged the car. The driver slowed down and lost her nerve. I immediately envisioned charging the car, getting one push off the bumper on to the hood and snapping the neck of the passenger......but they took off and sped away.

I'm not a violent person at all but I would have beaten both of them in that moment without hesitation. I know every deputy in the parish and never once thought of looking at the plates. I saw red and couldn't think straight. I was bit ashamed of myself after for what I would've done if they had stuck around.

mtbr member
    ^^ I think becoming a bit irrational after an uncalled for assault with a Deadly weapon is forgivable. I suspect a water bottle (hopefully nearly full) thrown at the new light weight windshields on most cars of the last decade would have made an impression and qualified as self defense. Chances are they will rethink their actions. A GoPro record of the event would be nice to hand to police. I hope never to record one.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    For some reason I've noticed quite a few more people howling at me recently. I take the same route at roughly the same time every day so it's not as though these people ought to be surprised seeing a bike on road. Maybe they've always been yelling and I'm just paying more attention recently.

Wednesday riding home some deeply unhappy looking woman shouted "f@#$ you!" as she drove past while gesturing rudely in my direction. Lucky for me there was a stoplight shortly thereafter and we had the chance to have a nice little chat.

I pleasantly asked how she was doing and if she was OK as she seemed rather irate.

to which she replied "go find a bike lane" in a somewhat sullen manner.

I politely informed her there were no bike lanes in the part of town I needed to go and asked if she'd like to petition the city council to build more bicycle infrastructure... She unfortunately did not seem to feel that would be the best use of her time.

Was a rather humorous little interaction all in all, the first time I've had the chance to talk to one of the 'yellers'; funny how quickly this one deflated when actually confronted.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMatson View Post
    Was a rather humorous little interaction all in all, the first time I've had the chance to talk to one of the 'yellers'; funny how quickly this one deflated when actually confronted.
    I suspect this would be the case with a lot of people. It's easy to be "brave" when you're protected by a steel cage and can easily outrun someone, but when you're face to face with the person you just yelled at, it's not so easy. It's like people who are tough guys on the internet, it's rarely the case in person. I've never been lucky enough to confront someone, but it's not for lack of trying.

I had a guy yesterday pass me on the right when I had taken the left lane. He went in the right turn lane to pass me. I just took the lane maybe 50 feet before the turn, so he really had to hurry to get around me. Then as soon as he was past me, he looked at me in his mirror like he was looking for a reaction. He clearly knew he did something wrong. I tried to watch where he was going, but he turned onto another main street so he was long gone.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Pasadena, MD.

From a guy walking on crutches with his friend walking his bike on the shoulder of Ft. Smallwood- I said hi as I passed them well in the street so not to startle them- Don't F*cking say hi to me...you don't know me. I was kind of confused for a second, so I was delayed in my reply of "shut the f up, gimp"...I immediately regretted it cause the rest of my ride I was expecting someone to come run me over.

mtbr member
    I was heading into school the other day (setting up my classroom) and someone called me a f*ggot as they passed me (way too close I might add). I had to resist giving them the finger because I was by the school where I work and knowing my luck it was a relative of a board member.
    Here is the thing about equality, everyone's equal when they're dead. - Gavroche, Les MisÚrables

mtbr member
    It's pretty sad that the most manly thing these people can do is hide in their over-compensating trucks and shout a slur then speed away.
    the upper echelon of mediocrity

NDD
    mtbr member
    Coulda sworn I heard somebody yell "Hey, ho!" And I snapped my head like "wait... What". That's when I realized some dude on his motorcycle was blasting the Ramones. Woulda been a first.

mtbr member
    *** Not a shout, but in the store getting gear on, a man my age asked if I though the Hi-Vis vest would keep me from getting run over.

I said, "No but either me or my wife, showing this off in the a courtroom are going to turn the " I didn't see him" into "Why the heck not?" He is a motorcycle rider and liked that answer. Showed I knew what I was up against.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Had a good one today, on 4 lane road (2 each way) a BMW driver (always seems to be BMWanker, LexAss or MerCrettin drivers or taxis), refused to change lane and tailgated me 500 meters to the next lights constantly horning. At the stop light he wound down his window and shouted that he has right of way and I am legally obliged to pull over to let him past as bicycles are not allowed on the roads. I pointed out both the logical flaw with his perception of the Road Traffic Act and that car drivers harassing cyclists is considered either Inconsiderate Driving or Dangerous Driving if serious enough both of which are offences as they are both defined in the RTA.
    Anyway the lights go to green and they guy pulls in behind me again about 1 meter off my rear wheel and continues to horn at me. After about 200 meters of this I was considering pulling over just to get rid of the idiot when a cop appears out of nowhere and pulls the guy over. I stopped but the cop just waved me on my way so not sure whether he got a ticket (the normal cops don't normally dish out road tickets here just refer it to the traffic police) But it has made my day, been chuckling about it to myself; my colleagues keep giving me strange looks.

NDD
    mtbr member
    ^classic.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Yesterday on my way to work I had a guy on a Harley, wearing a black hoody and no helmet, yell "you're a f@#king moron!" at me as he passed. About all could think after that was "really guy? I'm the moron here?"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMatson View Post
    Yesterday on my way to work I had a guy on a Harley, wearing a black hoody and no helmet, yell "you're a f@#king moron!" at me as he passed. About all could think after that was "really guy? I'm the moron here?"
    Hahaha. Statistically you're probably much safer.

mtbr member
    So I'm approaching a 4-way stop - residential road, across the street from a school, 30mph limit, 30' from the intersection, taking the lane~ish, hi-vis vest, 2 rear superflashes - and honk Honk HONNNK from behind me.

I come to a stop at the stopsign, turn around and give my default "It's a f'n stopsign!" (I always point out whatever law the morons are breaking: stopsign, redlights, crosswalk, oneway, etc)

So the moron gets out of his suv and starts screaming at me.
    "Read the bylaws, @#$%" I reply, which is my typical response to morons.
    "No! You over there!" (points to the sidewalk? Or the curb? Rough english, so it was tough to tell)
    "Read the bylaws, @#$%"
    "You over there!"
    "Read the bylaws, @#$%"

As the moron gets back in his suv I ask if he was even planning to stop, and the moron peels out around me and blows through the stopsign.

Sigh.

NDD
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    So I'm approaching a 4-way stop - residential road, across the street from a school, 30mph limit, 30' from the intersection, taking the lane~ish, hi-vis vest, 2 rear superflashes - and honk Honk HONNNK from behind me.

I come to a stop at the stopsign, turn around and give my default "It's a f'n stopsign!" (I always point out whatever law the morons are breaking: stopsign, redlights, crosswalk, oneway, etc)

So the moron gets out of his suv and starts screaming at me.
    "Read the bylaws, @#$%" I reply, which is my typical response to morons.
    "No! You over there!" (points to the sidewalk? Or the curb? Rough english, so it was tough to tell)
    "Read the bylaws, @#$%"
    "You over there!"
    "Read the bylaws, @#$%"

As the moron gets back in his suv I ask if he was even planning to stop, and the moron peels out around me and blows through the stopsign.

Sigh.
    That's what happens when you ride your bike do dangerously. All of the poor drivers have their lives put in danger. You should feel ashamed.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    4 way intersection. I had a green light and a walk. I rode though the intersection, and the "nice girl" on the other side trying to make a left kindly said "I'll F*!*!n' run you over!!!" I waved and was on my way. They seemed pretty rational.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    A teenager crossing the road on his mountain bike asks me as I am riding, "Yo you wanna trade bikes?"
    ME-"Ummm no I'm good with mine."
    Not sure if him and his buddy wanted to rob me or not. I didn;t stop to find out. Something tells me though that there were some bad intentions.

mtbr member

What did someone yell at you?

I was crossing a bridge, like 8 ft wide. An older lady was walking her dog same direction as me. Two bikes coming other direction pass her so i slow down to not wizz between her and the bikes, as the bikes pass her she pulls her leash tight and looks to her side, as she does this i slowly pass her and she yells out " doesnt your ****ing bell work" rattled me. All i said was sorry i thought you seen me. I should have said not for you yah old bag. Man it still bothers me. If it was a guy he would have been told to eat a dick.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by solarplex View Post
    I was crossing a bridge, like 8 ft wide. An older lady was walking her dog same direction as me. Two bikes coming other direction pass her so i slow down to not wizz between her and the bikes, as the bikes pass her she pulls her leash tight and looks to her side, as she does this i slowly pass her and she yells out " doesnt your ****ing bell work" rattled me. All i said was sorry i thought you seen me. I should have said not for you yah old bag. Man it still bothers me. If it was a guy he would have been told to eat a dick.
    I had a similar situation once with an elderly lady walking a dog. For some reason people think cyclists need to announce themselves but cars don't. I really don't get it. As long as you went by her slowly and gave her enough space, I don't see an issue.

mtbr member
    Today as a pedestrian I had a couple of close calls with cyclists who did not announce their presence. One nearly had me push him accidentally into a wall as the route narrowed. The squeaking downhill brakes helped.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Straz85 View Post
    I had a similar situation once with an elderly lady walking a dog. For some reason people think cyclists need to announce themselves but cars don't. I really don't get it. As long as you went by her slowly and gave her enough space, I don't see an issue.
    Yah. Like do joggers need a bell? Cause those ****ers can surprise you too,Lol. Do they need to ban headphones so walkers can hear my bell? Cant fix stupid

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by solarplex View Post
    Yah. Like do joggers need a bell? Cause those ****ers can surprise you too,Lol. Do they need to ban headphones so walkers can hear my bell? Cant fix stupid

Get one of these and those headphone wearing walkers/joggers will hear you just fine
    Hornit Bike Horn - Mountain Equipment Co-op. Free Shipping Available

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by anik02 View Post
    Get one of these and those headphone wearing walkers/joggers will hear you just fine
    Hornit Bike Horn - Mountain Equipment Co-op. Free Shipping Available
    http://www.mec.ca/product/4013-597/s...-cycling-horn/

Thats louder than this one. I want to get a loud horn to lay on it at people stopped in the cross walk at corners. Haha

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    It also doesnt take up a waterbottle spot. 2 batteries is all it needs!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    So had a first today. Tight traffic backed up by 2 rotaries on each side of a bridge. One lexus cuts close by me 1.5 '. He is stopped in between the 2 circles so naturally I cut in front of his car. He shouts" Get a car!" I reply, " So I can be suck in traffic like you ?" I though it was quite funny.

Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast