Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast
    mtbr member

What did someone yell at you?

I was riding on a shared path. I seen this lady walking at an angle towards path. The whole time i was watching her and i figured it would be close when she stepped on the path and i passed her. She just fully walked up to the path and proceeded to step on to the path and not look if anyone was coming. I rushed by her and she jumped. Then i hear "Get a bell!" I purposely didn't make an attempt to warn her to see if she would look both ways and she didnt.

mtbr member

What did someone yell at you?

I was actually driving the other day and i could see these kids on bmxs looking at every car driving by so i looked at them and the one mouths fawk you to me. It took me a second but i had my 16 month old so i didnt do anything. But i was full on ready to slam on the brakes and jump out or pull my truck onto the shoulder and chase them. Haha would have scared the piss out of those little pricks

mtbr member
    In the middle of my commute a few weeks back. As usual, I am following all laws and being cautious and courteous. I was at a stoplight and once it turned green, I looked around to make sure all was clear, signaled my turn and went. All of the sudden, I start hearing this guy doing this weird combination of yelling and singing. This douche in an orange VW bus is singing at the top of his lungs "You're breaking the law, you're breaking the law, you're breaking the ****ING law! **** youuu!". He then proceeds to follow me for two miles, singing this "song" the whole time while staring me down and veering towards me as if he is going to hit me.

I did absolutely nothing wrong, nothing illegal, nothing even remotely inconsiderate. I was scared for my safety. I really don't understand what is up with some people and why they are so hostile towards cyclists.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by InLimbo View Post
    In the middle of my commute a few weeks back. As usual, I am following all laws and being cautious and courteous. I was at a stoplight and once it turned green, I looked around to make sure all was clear, signaled my turn and went. All of the sudden, I start hearing this guy doing this weird combination of yelling and singing. This douche in an orange VW bus is singing at the top of his lungs "You're breaking the law, you're breaking the law, you're breaking the ****ING law! **** youuu!". He then proceeds to follow me for two miles, singing this "song" the whole time while staring me down and veering towards me as if he is going to hit me.

I did absolutely nothing wrong, nothing illegal, nothing even remotely inconsiderate. I was scared for my safety. I really don't understand what is up with some people and why they are so hostile towards cyclists.
    Holy crap, that's incredibly scary, and just plain weird. I have no idea what I would have done in that scenario. That's the type of story that makes me consider starting to carry a helmet cam with me all the time.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by InLimbo View Post

Super creepy. Was it possible to pull off down a side street or something? Pretend to go to a house?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by WiTrailRunner View Post
    Super creepy. Was it possible to pull off down a side street or something? Pretend to go to a house?
    I would think in such a situation your best bet is to stay in well populated areas, rather than cut down a side street where there may be nobody else around.

mtbr member
    ^ or up onto the sidewalk, pull a quick 180, and doubleback a block or two against traffic to lose the psycho.

Moderator Moderator
    ^^ +1. I'd rather evade than deal with a nut like that for a few miles.

Glad you are OK, InLimbo, that sounds very unnerving and downright dangerous.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    i wouldve just pulled as far right as i can and stop. i hate riding where theres traffic

NDD
    mtbr member
    That's really just awful and abusive behavior. Unfortunately there's not much to do. I agree that the best bet is to let him pass you and wait a bit.

mtbr member
    Remember that SUV in Colorado last year that was following and harassing the cyclist and he ended up being cited for something? There was a video of it posted on here. If you had a phone you could pull it out and record the guy and go to the police like that guy did.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Some old fart yelled" learn the laws" I was taking the lane, lawfully. This stretch is a busy 2 lanes with the right lane going to hi way on ramps on both sides of the overpass. With 3 traffic lights. So I usually take the left lane, doing 20 -25 on a slight downhill, in a 30. Much safer. I yelled back " Jesus loves you". Without going down that road, it makes me feel better, confuses them and they then think your crazy/insane/ Jesus freak/ or all of the above. Or I yell back" I love jelly doughnuts"

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I love the "I love jelly doughnuts" response. I might use it at work.

The best: "You almost beat me".

The worst: "Get a f'n car" (but he used the whole word).

Felt sorry for the second guy. He clearly had anger issues and I was riding along, happy as anything. Made me realize how good I've got it and made me feel sorry for his family.

Moderator Moderator
    Really monotone and not.loud, from a girl in the back seat, "**** -**** - ****-****-****-****-****.." Since I nearly didn't hear it, it was easy to ride on by as if I didn't, so I doubt she got much satisfaction. Vanity plate though, so if I figure out whose car it is maybe they will teach her some manners, if it's not too late. But when you are 52 that insult doesn't carry any weight.
    Last edited by mtbxplorer; 07-01-2014 at 05:40 PM. Reason: sl*t

Unpredictable
    Quote Originally Posted by Texan-n-Fla View Post
    I had a grown man bark at me yesterday. Like a freakin' dog. Some folks need the kind of help I can't give.
    I've had that. I was last in a long train heading for the bush and said thanks (for waiting on the median) to this old wino looking dude. Not only did he bark, but he ran onto the road on all fours and tried to bite my leg! Distemper came to mind.

Stokeless Asshat
    "Nice as#"
    From a guy though.
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

mtbr member
    I was stopped at a T intersection waiting to turn left, when a big dually pick up truck pulled up on my right. The window rolled down and I braced myself.

"Nice wheels!"

I said thank you and he gave me a thumbs up and drove off. Well, okay then!

mtbr member
    Outside a hotel bringing the bike in for safe keeping, "That's a gorgeous bike!"

In the lobby, "Nice bike!"

On the MUP passing kids stopped on their bikes waiting for moms to catch up: "Wow! Cool!"

From a park maintenance worker I waived at before, as I later took a break, "Nice, how old is it?"

"Which parts?" I return widening the grin I had the last hour or so riding through the park he helped keep so nice.

Beats the usual commuting crap.

MTB, Road, Commuting
    I've had a few lately. Last week: "Hi.......I Love You"

Last night wasn't a yell but a gesture. I gave a girl the "thanks for not pulling out in front of me" wave and smile. She pulled out behind me, passed me and then pulled into a business driveway until I passed. As soon as I was by she pulled along side and gave me a big smile and thumbs up. Not even sure why.

Quite a few positive interactions in a row here.

mtbr member
    I had a guy this morning yell "Nice light!". I had my NiteRider 600 lumen light on flashing mode.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Re: What did someone yell at you?

Yesterday still irritating me

Get a car you w@nk3r

I hate riding to woods by road but there no other way.

mtbr member
    Kids were driving a big pickup and the passenger yells out "loser!" Responded with the one finger salute and kept pedaling.

Had a truck driver give me the thumbs up on one of the coldest days I've ever ridden in.
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

NDD
    mtbr member
    Usual "get off the street". Looking at his bumper stickers as I pulled behind him at the light, I thought, "wow, the marines really trained you to be an upstanding citizen". Didn't say anything though or flip him off because at least one sticker directly referenced marines being good at killing other people. Creep.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Got yelled at by a very angry lady in Prius while riding down dirt road in the middle of nowhere. She told me to get on the sidewalk.... City folk.
    2014 S-Works Epic WC
    2014 Yeti ARC
    2014 S-Works Crux Disc

mtbr member
    I had a line of boy racers come by me, about ten cars yelled the same thing: "Yo! Get out tha' way!" The whole group (~40 cars) proceeded to run two red lights on their way to a late night street race.

I stopped and called the police non-emergency number and let them know what I saw. Within 5 minutes the police helicopter was flying past and a minute of so after that a squad of ten+ cops cars went screaming by. I laughed all the way home.

Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast