Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Boy driving a company pickup truck cut me off on a right turn. I yelled "nice signal light".
    The girl sitting in the middle leaned over the girl on the passenger side to flip me off.
    I called the company number and learned the truck belonged to the girls father. At the 3rd stoplight I caught up to them and informed her that her dad didnt believe she was old
    enough to fly that bird and why was that "boy" driving his truck ?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    I was stopped at a red light this morning. I heard a nasty “Get a car” and turned around to see a guy rolling up the passenger window. Seeing as his window was now closed I yelled back. Something along the lines of “What is wrong with you?” and “Moron” . Then I got “You shouldn’t be in the middle of the road” and the finger. I noticed he carefully shielded the finger from the driver, presumably his wife, who was clearly embarrassed at all the public fuss. Well FU too. And the light turned green.
    Note down the License Plate number and a description of the driver....keep this list...

Make sure another cyclist know of the list....

The cops can check the list if you ever hit up on the bad side of a hit and run...

A little macbre but might work someday.

Also a good witness document if this guy ever needs a road rage investigation.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    Note down the License Plate number and a description of the driver....keep this list...

Make sure another cyclist know of the list....

The cops can check the list if you ever hit up on the bad side of a hit and run...

A little macbre but might work someday.

Also a good witness document if this guy ever needs a road rage investigation.
    I did get the plate and posted it on the VT Bike Commuters facebook page

mtbr member
    "c###sucker". To wit my wife replied "is that so wrong?"

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Last week after a fresh few inches of snow I was trudging along and an older guy in a white Accord rolled down his window and yelled "You're a effing badass!" Made my day.

Trail Ninja
    "What!? Do you think you're a car!?" - some young driver in an old car modded to be lower, with tinted windows, etc. at me while I'm in the left hand turn lane waiting for the light to go green.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I got called a fing idiot by a old fart for no reason other than riding a bike I guess.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

NDD
    mtbr member
    I've had two unusually funny encounters in the last week. The norm is that people are pretty harsh to commuting cyclists, so both of these (to me) seemed like they would end poorly, but they didn't.

I was riding my bike up this hill, commuting on a pretty busy stretch of road which most people go pretty fast on (45 mph is the limit, so they're going about 50-60), and I hear this loud noise, which I assume is yelling, because it's all indistinguishable at that speed. I glance over to mean mug them or whatever, and I see this huge dog barking at me. I laughed the whole way up the hill.

Yesterday, my brother and I were riding a little further north on the same road. The speed limit's a bit slower, more relaxed and that's fine by me. But this big ol' truck pulls up along side my brother and he's like "damn it" because that usually means you're about to get insulted or jake braked. But the dude rolls down the window and yells at him "You're going f***ing 20 miles and hour!".

It's nice, when you expect the worst, to not have your expectations met.

Moderator Moderator
    "yer crazy!"

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Me and my buddy's were riding down the local bike path and a kid riding by in a car yelled out "do an ollie!"
    I yelled back, "it's not a skateboard you f**k''!

NDD
    mtbr member
    Dude rolls down his window to yell "It's called a sidewalk!". Sigh.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

What did someone yell at you?

Quote Originally Posted by NDD View Post
    "I'm not walking !"
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

NDD
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    "I'm not walking !"
    I know, right! That drives me so bonkers. I mean, I guess if you're a kid going 4mph on his bmx bike down the sidewalk, then whatever. When you're an adult, you should act like it and just get on the road and go fast.

Funny thing is, getting yelled at happens so much more often when riding alone. I had just gotten done riding with a friend all over the roads and nobody yelled anything. Then I go to ride up to the coffee shop a mile away and someone yells at me. Aw hell. I was pissed. I shouldn't get that way but I do.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NDD View Post
    "It's called ignorance!" He may think it is self deprecating, but he'd be wrong.

Or a favorite one is to wave with a smile, like you don't understand English. Half the tie the shouts are unintelligible anyway.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    "It's called ignorance!" He may think it is self deprecating, but he'd be wrong.

Or a favorite one is to wave with a smile, like you don't understand English. Half the tie the shouts are unintelligible anyway.
    The smile and wave is great, and I do it.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Same kid a few times this past year: "get out of the road a-hole!"

mtbr member

I had a grown man bark at me yesterday. Like a freakin' dog. Some folks need the kind of help I can't give.

GoCyco
    Nov 2005
    When I ride my Fat bike through the city in Villach, Austria I get a lot of "Waoh!", "Cool", and a bunch of expressions in a Carinthian dialect that I don't understand. But It's always total amazement since they have never seen such a bike like this before.

mtbr member
    On the heart attack stretch just short of the summit of my local hills, "You're almost there!" Hear that one from the workers dismantling old power transmission towers nearly every week.
    I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass. - David Lee Roth

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by aizu1 View Post
    When I ride my Fat bike through... since they have never seen such a bike like this before.
    How cool! Your story lightened my day!

Moderator Moderator
    "You wanker" - a new one for me, in a not very convincing accent.

It wasn't a yell. Yesterday on my way in to work, I'm in the bike lane waiting for the light to change. Pickup truck next to me has a middle-aged couple in it. They roll down their window, chuckling, and ask me if the kitty litter is heavy, referencing my kitty litter pannier. Instead of telling the long version of the story about how I've repurposed the container because it's waterproof and a good place to put bright, reflective stickers that grab people's attention (success!), I just told them that it was almost empty, which was also true.

I don't have any quantitative data on this, but I am starting to think that people pay better attention to me when I have one of those bright, yellow buckets on the street side of the bike.

What did someone yell at you?-publicrepairstation_bikehub.jpg

mtbr member
    ^ I've noticed more consideration with my Ghetto pannier in the left as well.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Figures, I had never had anyone yell anything at me until I read through this thread yesterday. On my way home, I had someone roll up behind me at a stop sign, honk, and yell "Hey biker, get on the sidewalk!"

I ignored them, especially because that section of road is 25 mph and the right lane always has parked cars in it so they had to merge in with the rest of traffic. I beat all the cars through the next 3 lights anyway and turned off onto my side street without incident. Just a smile and a wave.

NDD
    mtbr member
    It's been a while since I got anything yelled at me. Then yesterday I'm riding by some farm workers and I hear "suck a d*ck". Too much machismo, man. What the hell?

That said, a few weeks back I heard some guy on a motorcycle snickering about "real bikes" but he said nothing to me. I guess that doesn't count?

Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast