Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
    Moderator Moderator
    I got one last night too. Bunch of guys and beers silhouetted against the open garage door of the local Jeep repair/jackup joint, one yelled "Buddy go Buddy go!", no meanly, not nicely, kinda teasingly I guess. Since I had been contemplating evil earlier in the ride I opted not to reply, as it would reveal me as a female Buddy ("budd-ette"?).

Clueless genius
    Feb 2011
    I'm not sure if this counts, but when I was riding home from my LBS yesterday some lady started spastically flailing her arms at me as if to inform me that I should not be riding in the street and should instead be on the sidewalk. I could see her lips moving so I can assume she was yelling "Get off the road!" or something similar, but as her windows were closed, I couldn't hear her, and it just looked like she was was chewing on an enormous chunk of bubble gum. Or maybe a bran muffin; doesn't matter. But I digress, after a quick, confused expression on my part, I shot her the biggest, toothiest, dorkiest grin I possibly could and then kept on going!
    2009 GT Sanction 2.0
    2007 C'dale Prophet 5
    1994 C'dale M400

Unhinged Aussie on a 29er
    Quote Originally Posted by Spykr View Post
    I'm not sure if this counts, but when I was riding home from my LBS yesterday some lady started spastically flailing her arms at me as if to inform me that I should not be riding in the street and should instead be on the sidewalk. I could see her lips moving so I can assume she was yelling "Get off the road!" or something similar, but as her windows were closed, I couldn't hear her, and it just looked like she was was chewing on an enormous chunk of bubble gum. Or maybe a bran muffin; doesn't matter. But I digress, after a quick, confused expression on my part, I shot her the biggest, toothiest, dorkiest grin I possibly could and then kept on going!
    Mime, "Call me" next time.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by Spykr View Post
    Sounds like she was about to have a heart attack over a cyclist invading the street! Too much bran muffin in her diet? Preceding some of that blogger Chipseal`s imfamous arrests, a few people were so excited they went as far as calling 911 to report a bicycle in the middle of the road.
    Recalculating....

EMBA Member
    Oct 2006
    "Get a car", "Get off the road", "Get on the sidewalk", all sorts of derivatives of being gay (which I just don't get). "Nice clothes dork".

Then there's the getting cut off or pinched off the road, honked at.

Just wave and smile boys (and gals), just wave and smile!

somehow still alive
    Guy tried to fight me on the road this morning.... He was in his turbo subaru, I was in my slow jeep... He nearly crashed, blamed me. (not my fault). Pull up to a light and he's hanging out his car screaming that he's gonna kill me, so I tell him to pull over and I'll join him.

We pull over, he forgets to set his e-brake and jumps out and starts running towards me yelling, I calmly tell him his car is rolling away.... Car rolls into the ditch and he catches it in time to dive thru the window and pull the e-brake and prevent it from dropping all the way into the ditch. He runs back to me yelling he's gonna beat my ass..........

I calmly stand next to the jeep with my hand on my .45 (hidden from his view) and he starts yelling.. I extend my hand to shake his and say, "Dude I have no beef with you, I didn't pass 8 cars on the shoulder at 100+, you did. If you have a problem perhaps it's you. Now if you still want a fight I'm ready." He shook my hand, acknowledged he was driving like an ass, and apologized. Then we chatted for a minute, and I told him that I have no problem with the way he drives and I would drive that fast too if I had a car that could do it. Then I advised him that I'm a medic with ******* Fire Rescue and just 3 weeks ago we pulled a dead girl out of a subaru like his in the EXACT same spot for loosing control and crashing.

He kinda freaked out a bit, shook my hand 3 more times apologized and thanked me for not coming out of the jeep swingin and lookin for a fight.

Then we went on our separate ways. Now I'm at work saving other lives. HAHA

situation averted.
    Not what you think.

My videos

mtbr member
    I'm a guy. The other day I was standing up while pedaling uphill and some guy in this really manly Ford F250 slows way down alongside me, rolls down the window, and shouts, "nice ass!"

"Thank you!" I said.

He sped up and drove away.

You meet the nicest people while out biking. Or something like that I guess.
    "You'll thank me when it's all said and done"

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    ^
    Must be a "leather daddy."
    I hate 650b because it's not as fun as 26 inch wheels and because it doesn't have the rollover ability of 29 inch wheels.

somehow still alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster Bluth View Post
    ^
    Must be a "leather daddy."
    "I'd like to go to the Gothic Castle"
    "Gothic A$$hole?"
    "That's what I said"

Not what you think.

My videos

mtbr member
    Driving in a rental car visiting U-Wisconsin campus with the family in the car and I pulled to the right into bike lane to ask directions from a person waiting for a bus, cyclist said "ummm, can you NOT be in my lane???" holy crap did I feel like a jerk while laughing.
    the upper echelon of mediocrity

I Ride for Donuts
    I was coasting downhill on a 4 lane street, which was entirely empty at 6:45 in the morning, and I needed to get to the store, which was on my left. So I checked behind me and drifted across "my" lane, into the left-hand lane to prepare to make my turn. There was one car in sight.... a lady coming towards me in the lane closest to the center line. She started flashing her lights and honking her horn and waving her arms in an absolute freak out panic mode... She came almost to a complete stop in the middle of the road, and I stared at her as I coasted by with what I hope was a look of utter confusion and a little bit of "you're a moron"... then I made my left turn across the empty street into the store parking lot.
    Apparently a bike in the the traffic lane means that they are going to ride directly into your car and kill everyone in sight...even if you're the only one in sight

Not sure if this is OK to post here because I didn't hear her yelling... I'm sure there was some yelling going on in there though, with the panic and the lights and the horn and what-not.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

MTB, Road, Commuting
    ^^I'm glad you survived!

I Ride for Donuts
    It was intense

mtbr member
    Great story CB.

Not yelling, but I was volunteering at the local bike co-op on wednesday, when we'd gotten maybe 3" of fresh snow. This was on top of roads that are basically solid ice, and temperatures were around 0F so the snow wasn't melting but was just sort of sliding around. So it certainly wasn't a great day for cycling, but it wasn't horrendous.

Guy comes in with his bike, so props to him for riding. And then he says "Calgary is a cycling paradise compared to here. When it snows they clear all the bike trails immediately." And yeah, that's clearly not true.

He wanted a cheap road bike to stick on a trainer for the winter. We didn't have any. I didn't feel too bad about that.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by Blister Butt View Post
    "Thank you!" I said.

Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    She started flashing her lights and honking her horn and waving her arms in an absolute freak out panic mode... She came almost to a complete stop in the middle of the road, and I stared at her as I coasted by with what I hope was a look of utter confusion and a little bit of "you're a moron"... then I made my left turn across the empty street into the store parking lot.
    Cool! Sounds like Spyker`s gal from a couple days ago.
    Recalculating....

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    There was one car in sight.... a lady coming towards me in the lane closest to the center line. She started flashing her lights and honking her horn and waving her arms in an absolute freak out panic mode... She came almost to a complete stop in the middle of the road, and I stared at her as I coasted by with what I hope was a look of utter confusion and a little bit of "you're a moron"... then I made my left turn across the empty street into the store parking lot.
    I'm sure it was the driver from the bikeyface cartoon...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What did someone yell at you?-bikeyface.jpg  

I Ride for Donuts
    Nailed it.

mtbr member
    I think the same lady slowed and turned left out of the right lane of a one-way street with no signal other than her brake light. Her previous driving held me back for passing her in the left lane. Good 'Carma' or 'CarGarndma', I guess. I was vocalizing so it coutnts, but I was driving, not riding, so maybe it doesn't.

We may not need all kinds to make this world, but we got 'em anyway. Don't let 'em get you.

BrianMc

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Encountered 4 people riding the wrong way in the bike path today, when I said "wrong way" 3 of them said "F**K YOU" , the other one said nothing. If someone rides towards me again going the wrong direction in the bike path...they will be picking themselves up off the ground.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    First icey commute. I'm definitely the only one out there stupid enough (or badass enough depending on your perspective on cycling) on Texas tech campus to ride to school today. I pass a couple of girls on campus and they yell out "you're a trooper!"

Smile and wave

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

Huckin' trails
    Ice riding is an art. Painful, but beautiful art.

Come on Trooper Jones, we have a mission of great destiny to pursue : to get in class on time and like a boss.

Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post
    Ice riding is an art. Painful, but beautiful art.

Come on Trooper Jones, we have a mission of great destiny to pursue : to get in class on time and like a boss.

more like a final exam but yeah haha

Unhinged Aussie on a 29er
    Quote Originally Posted by Blister Butt View Post
    I'm a guy. The other day I was standing up while pedaling uphill and some guy in this really manly Ford F250 slows way down alongside me, rolls down the window, and shouts, "nice ass!"

"Thank you!" I said.

One of my buddies rides with Team Soft Like Kitten. They have a kitten on the kit and it's all pink. Apparently the worst aspect about their kit is they'll be riding along, some motorcyclists will ride up behind them, pass, and when they stop next the motorcyclists will pick a fight with them.

So the big question is, "Why?", right?

Ends up the big badass bikers see pink shorts... booty pointed back... naturally assume it's a chick. And... they... they don't really like getting caught perving at a guy's butt.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ALBM View Post
    Encountered 4 people riding the wrong way in the bike path today, when I said "wrong way" 3 of them said "F**K YOU" , the other one said nothing. If someone rides towards me again going the wrong direction in the bike path...they will be picking themselves up off the ground.
    Chill out.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    Great story CB.

Not yelling, but I was volunteering at the local bike co-op on wednesday, when we'd gotten maybe 3" of fresh snow. This was on top of roads that are basically solid ice, and temperatures were around 0F so the snow wasn't melting but was just sort of sliding around. So it certainly wasn't a great day for cycling, but it wasn't horrendous.

Guy comes in with his bike, so props to him for riding. And then he says "Calgary is a cycling paradise compared to here. When it snows they clear all the bike trails immediately." And yeah, that's clearly not true.

He wanted a cheap road bike to stick on a trainer for the winter. We didn't have any. I didn't feel too bad about that.
    Acutally pretty quickly.....but the idoits don't clean the bridges and overpasses for some reason for several days to a week????

Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast