Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Riding home the other night some crazy old dude on the multi-use path screamed at me "Someone's gonna kick your a@@ for blinding them with that light"

I just smiled and waved, thinking to myself, if they're going to kick my a@@ at least that means they see me.

Some people.

Quote Originally Posted by blockphi View Post
    Riding home the other night some crazy old dude on the multi-use path screamed at me "Someone's gonna kick your a@@ for blinding them with that light"

I just smiled and waved, thinking to myself, if they're going to kick my a@@ at least that means they see me.

Some people.
    I get all kinds of comments from pedestrians about how bright my light is. I ride through a college campus on my commute, so there are a lot of them. Nobody's gone that far before, but every evening on the 1/2 mi of campus I cross, I get a few complaints almost always in front of the library where there's a bit of a bottleneck.

mtbr member
    May 2006

Some people.
    I ride with a helmet mounted light and one on the bars....

The one on the bars can move up and down with just a push....

So I can dip the lights easily to avoid blinding people...or to help make a motorist notice me...

Blinding people is kinda of rude in my opinion.

mtbr member
    ^^ "Can you still see?", you ask

"Yeah, no thanks to you!", says he.

"Then I did not blind you.", says you.

Expletives follow in response to your impeccable logic.

Several conditions reduce the speed the iris contracts or make it flutter. I know I had one, now cured. If he is sensitive to bright lights he should know. The bright blue headlights used to mess me up for a dangerous amount of time after they passed. No longer.

BrianMc

mtbr member
    I haven't been commuting regularly but for a couple of months. The only thing I've had yelled at me was "good use of hand signals!" with a smile and thumbs up from the driver, as I crossed two lanes of traffic to get in the turning lane.

2012 Jamis Exile S

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I had a carload of guys yell F_g_ot at me and I smiled real cute and yelled back, "Is that your boyfriend?" as I pointed to the guy next to him. The others in the car laughed like hell.

When I lived in Tucson, I carried a pistol in my water bottle carrier...nobody yelled at me.

One guy asked me once if I was a recovering alcoholic. I said no and asked him why and he said that he figured that only reason I rode a bike was that I could not get a license. Idiot!

Karma?? Once I was ridding down a side street when I saw this big fuzzy cat walking across the street. I glided right up behind him and did the mad cat hiss and howl, as if a cat myself. The cat puffed up and jumped a foot and pivoted like he was expecting to face a mountain lion. I laughed like crazy as I looked back at him. Then still laughing I rode by this house and doberman charged the fence barking at me as if he was satin. Scared me so bad that I almost fell over. That was a quick turnaround for Mr Karma. Human scares cat...dog scares human.

Natural Born Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by OldschoolReloaded View Post
    I glided right up behind him and did the mad cat hiss and howl, as if a cat myself.
    Oh, that's too funny! I did the same thing to a cat the other day that was casually strolling up a driveway. He jumped 3 feet up in the air and took off running without even looking back. I laughed so hard I almost wrecked. I don't thing he had a clue there was another living creature close by.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skrufryder View Post
    Silly rabbit Jack Daniel drinking donkey kissing caterpiller

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by iamJ4R0N View Post
    I haven't been commuting regularly but for a couple of months. The only thing I've had yelled at me was "good use of hand signals!" with a smile and thumbs up from the driver, as I crossed two lanes of traffic to get in the turning lane.

Look out for a mass influx of cyclists to Hayward CA!

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    When riding at night on the MUP it's good form to cover your light when approaching oncoming peds and cyclists.

mtbr member
    I got the "Hey Baby! Loking good!" the other day. It was my wife.

I usually resond to yells with witty repartee after they're long gone, for instance...

Them: "A car's only $16,000!"
    Me (5 minutes later): "If I spent all that on a car I couldn't afford your mom."

Them: "Yaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!"
    Me (5 minutes later): "Oooo...good one! No one's every yelled at me like that before!"

Unhinged Aussie on a 29er
    "Thanks for the blinding light, *******"
    "Anytime!!"

*sheilding eyes* "Lights!!"
    "Yeah, you need some."

Most of the comments I get are about my lights come to think of it. I have a Vis360 on the helmet, Seca 400 on the bars and now a Supernova E3 on the crown nut. Honestly, I don't know how these people ride in traffic. My Seca 400's are 100 Lumens on low... that's barely anything.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    This September I was riding home from some singletrack and pulled up next to a car full of teenage girls at a stop light. As I pulled away, the one in the passenger seat yells "NICE BUTT!" I'm positive she was being sarcastic as I'm 140 lbs and 5' 10" and have absolutely no butt. Either that or she just likes dudes with no butt in spandex. The first time I commuted on a bicycle, I crossed the first road leaving my house and a guy in a lawncare truck yells "FAGG@T!" I looked up and it was a customer from the shop I work at. He had no idea it was me. He probably wonders why his motorcycle parts are so much more expensive now. The third time was last summer. I was riding my road bike home and passed a young couple. The dude was the standard Central Ohio Thug-billy, wearing tight Wrangler type jeans and big cubic zirconia earrings. His girlfriend was smoking hot. Anyway, as I passed them, he looks up and says "You look gay, dude." I started to lash out but then thought, "I am dressed like a di#k right now." and rode home. Have also had several undecipherable screams.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I was in the City and a Sheriffs Helicopter started to hover above with the loudspeaker blaring "cyclist in the.....( inaudible )!! I didnt immediately "do" anything because I had my headphones on and was listening to some Generic Trance playlist, and was waiting for the breakbeat.
    There was literally a whole bunch of people on bikes, some I had never seen B4. Ethnic types because I was in a *NEW* section of town. I am versed in English, had nowhere to go and by the tone of the voices around me behind the chop-choppa of the helicopters blades sensed that someone, possibly me was going to Jail............

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    So I can dip the lights easily to avoid blinding people...or to help make a motorist notice me...

Blinding people is kinda of rude in my opinion.
    +1

It's also very dangerous.

I put my hand in front of my light to alert drivers to something.

Pedestrians can get over it. My lights are no brighter than car or motorcycle lights and you don't see pedestrians cursing at every one of them that passes

My light aims down from the bike to maybe 20-30ft in front of me so I don't blind people on the road. And nobody complains there.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    I put my hand in front of my light to alert drivers to something.

Pedestrians can get over it. My lights are no brighter than car or motorcycle lights and you don't see pedestrians cursing at every one of them that passes

My light aims down from the bike to maybe 20-30ft in front of me so I don't blind people on the road. And nobody complains there.
    For someone who is always on other people o=about what they are doing wrong...

That is a very belligerant attitude....

Your light is bright and it bothers people.....there are many easy fixes you should pick one and start using it.

For someone who is always on other people o=about what they are doing wrong...

That is a very belligerant attitude....

Your light is bright and it bothers people.....there are many easy fixes you should pick one and start using it.
    My point was that I don't think pedestrians are actually blinded by my light because because I have taken steps to ensure I'm not blinding people with it. they're not saying the same things when cars and motorcycles drive by. I think they're just surprised to see such a light on a bicycle, and people (as this whole thread illustrates) like to yell at people on bicycles for stupid reasons.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    My point was that I don't think pedestrians are actually blinded by my light because because I have taken steps to ensure I'm not blinding people with it.Clearly not so they're not saying the same things when cars and motorcycles drive by. I think they're just surprised to see such a light on a bicycle, and people (as this whole thread illustrates) like to yell at people on bicycles for stupid reasons.
    They are noticably upset that your light is to bright.....you are getting yelled at because you are unneccessarily bothering people...

There is no need to upset people...

Just because you are not permanently blinding someone....does not mean that you are not temporally compromising their vision...

Again there are easy ways to avoid doing this, you should pick one and start doing it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I commute through a city park that connects to an apartment complex just about every day. One time as I was getting ready to turn into the park these two young guys yelled "Get off the road ******!" I've seen this car nearly every time I pass through there complex so I am sure they live there. Sure enough they get home before I pass through and they are out of the car talking to two girls. I pedal casually by and in my best effeminate voice say "Looking good boys!" to all their astonished looks.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Passed a blind guy to today in an intersection.....

He yells hey make some noise....

Guess I must have been riding a little too smooth so my bearbell wasn't dingling.

mtbr member
    They are noticably upset that your light is to bright.....you are getting yelled at because you are unneccessarily bothering people...

There is no need to upset people...

Just because you are not permanently blinding someone....does not mean that you are not temporally compromising their vision...

Again there are easy ways to avoid doing this, you should pick one and start doing it.
    Jeff, I agree we don't need to be any more offensive than we are to some people. I also think that some people just like to complain especially about cyclists using their MUP. I would like to see pedestrians carry some lights and not be ninja. So this share the road or MUP goes both ways.

Assuming that NateHawk has experienced his lights first hand and found them tolerable, then it is the other guys issue. We can't please everyone all the time. Our safety and theirs kicks in over a mild discomfort on a few. I spent a lot of time getting my lights to work well and not blind drivers. I can aim them away from walkers when I need to. I did this by standing the bike up with lights on and walking toward them at normal height and bent low for a shorter person and found them tolerable. This is a bit of a problem with a generator system, but it can be done.

I don't buy into the argument that we must avoid upsetting everyone at all costs. Otherwise I would not risk posting in forums!

BrianMc

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    Jeff, I agree we don't need to be any more offensive than we are to some people. I also think that some people just like to complain especially about cyclists using their MUP. I would like to see pedestrians carry some lights and not be ninja. So this share the road or MUP goes both ways.

Assuming that NateHawk has experienced his lights first hand and found them tolerable, then it is the other guys issue.From my reading I beleive it is more than likely Natehawks issue We can't please everyone all the time. Our safety and theirs kicks in over a mild discomfort not neccessarilly mild if you temporially blind some one and they twist an ankleon a few. I spent a lot of time getting my lights to work well and not blind drivers. I can aim them away from walkers when I need to. I did this by standing the bike up with lights on and walking toward them at normal height and bent low for a shorter person and found them tolerable. This is a bit of a problem with a generator system, but it can be done.

I don't buy into the argument that we must avoid upsetting everyone at all costs. Otherwise I would not risk posting in forums!

BrianMc
    Of course the world lives by compromise....

What I see here is lack of compromise and arrogance.

Safety is also a world of compromise, mitigating hazards for yourself and everyone around you is the best course.

mtbr member
    My point was that I don't think pedestrians are actually blinded by my light because because I have taken steps to ensure I'm not blinding people with it.
    Are you on flashing or solid mode? A fairly bright flashing can be a lot more annoying than a really bright solid. I've had someone's oncoming helmet-mounted strobe leave me pretty much completely blind because the eyes can't adjust quickly enough.

But anyway, earlier this week I got "Get off the grass!" even though the grass is under a foot of snow, and I was clearly riding on the sidewalk. Pffft, people.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    "Hey ******!"

Not exactly original.
    I hate 650b because it's not as fun as 26 inch wheels and because it doesn't have the rollover ability of 29 inch wheels.

Got my first "get on the sidewalk" yell in a long time. Came from some kind of luxury/semi luxury car. I needed to make a grocery run, so my usual road stretch on this road was a hair longer than usual. I usually only ride it for a hundred yards or so before heading off onto a side street. I still went less than a mile. Maybe half a mile. Multiple lights, but I hit green through them all. I was cruising around 20mph, I'd figure. I was pushing myself a bit, and my relaxed cruise is usually about 16-17. A lot of cars don't go faster than 20mph on this road and nobody yells or honks at them.

I got the yell right about when I extended my right arm to signal my turn.
    *eyeroll*

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast