Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011
    No one calls me Maurice.
    20 pages of story goodness for sure.

My worst reaction (IMO) was the female passenger who yelled (Circa 1984) "We pay effing taxes, get your effing bike on the sidewalk!" Back then I did the roadie thing almost exclusively and my snappy comeback was always "Thank You, have a nice day." because it usually defused things. This woman's husband (prompted by his foul-mouthed sweetheart) slams on the brakes, forcing me to stop and gets out. Typical slob-type (fists balled) yells at me "What did you call my wife?" I figure I was giving him well over 100#s but you know how worked up you can get when someone forces you off the road. Shoes off, knife out, not sure where I thought that was going but he yells "Better watch yourself next time!" and gets back in the Van. The cops were not especially helpful, but that was the 80's in the midwest.

Best reaction I saw was a motorcyclist yelling the same thing at a riding buddy. So he chases the guy down at the next stoplight. Scared that my friend is headed for an beating, I spin up to help him disengage. He's ranting on the motorcyclist and the guy is apologizing like nuts. I'd say that's about a 50/50 call, we have our share of "tough guy" cyclists who would love to throw down.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Here is what we get to deal with around boston:
    Carr: Spandex-loving speeders want to be king of road | Boston Herald

CN: Columnist spurs hatred of cyclists by citing examples of cyclists who are idiots.

My worst incident was on a rode ride through downtown in a small suburb 45 minutes west of Boston. I was traveling with the flow of traffic which was going about 10mph. The road is fairly narrow with cars parked on the side, so to give myself enough room to avoid getting taken out by an errant door being opened, and because I was easily able to keep up with traffic, I moved into the middle of the lane. I hear someone yelling behind me, then I realize this person is yelling at me. It's the driver of the truck directly behind me, and he's cursing at me, threatening to beat me to death with my bike, describing horrific things he wished to do to my bloody corpse, etc. I pulled off the road and let him by as I wasn't sure when he'd finish coming unhinged.

I've also had people swerve across the road from the oncoming lane towards me, throw stuff at me, honk the horn at me as the drove by, and scream at me to "get off the f%^&ing road!". Generally, I've come to the conclusion that all humans are a-holes and the only proper answer is rectalcide. (extermination of all a-holes)

mtbr member
    I don't seem to get much yelling, more involved than that for some reason... here's the latest

I was gently riding my MTB through some woods near to me on a normal route for me. I slowed down some way behind a woman walking her dog. I was in no rush so didnít hassle her or ring my bell. She stopped and let me past I said thanks then she said

-The cycle path is over there!
    I stopped
    -Excuse me?

-The cycle path you should be on is over there. (vaguely waving her hand in front of her)

-I know there is a cycle route there but Iím riding the trails today, Iím not sure I see the problem.

-Bike tyres churn up the ground and slip and slide and ruin the paths for walkers, youíre not allowed here.

-Hmm ok; I am allowed here but aside from that what youíre saying is that my tires ruin the path more than people walking?

-Yes thatís right, as I just said they slide about and ruin it.

-I really do dispute that, Iím not hooning around and skidding all over the place. You may see where Iíve been as a tyre leave a obvious pattern but in no way does it ruin it, if anything its more gentle as itís a constant roll rather than the plant and go of footprints.

-No you are completely wrong on that

-Ok, can you explain why your boots have more mud on them then my tyres?

-Now youíre just being silly, thatís irrelevant. (trying not to look at her boots)

-I thinks itís very relevant but ok, just out of curiosity on a different issue, I assume thatís your dog running around?

-Yes he is, but he wonít bother you, whatís your point?

-I didnít think he would but I assume you clear up after him?

-No, this is the woods, itís what dogs and animals do here.

-You do realise that dog fouling is a big issue and their faeces carry all sorts of diseases, not to mention the unpleasantness if you happen to stand in some!

-Now youíre just changing the subject so you can have a go at me

-A little maybe but more trying to point out that we have different ideas of whatís acceptable in the woods. Still itís a nice sunny morning and I really donít want to argue so Iím off, have a nice day! (smile and wave boys, smile and wave)

-Er, yeah, you too.
    Last edited by SlipSpace; 05-15-2015 at 05:26 AM.

Bedwards Of The West
    Last night I wound up riding home in the dark... I enjoy a good peaceful night ride, it's way quieter out there. But last night a redneck decided to roll down the passenger window of the truck and scream the N word at me for some reason. That was a first.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

NDD
    Baby boy
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    Last night I wound up riding home in the dark... I enjoy a good peaceful night ride, it's way quieter out there. But last night a redneck decided to roll down the passenger window of the truck and scream the N word at me for some reason. That was a first.
    Man, I hate people who do that. It's just not even acceptable.
    i am basically just an organic pattern recognition algorithm

Moderator Moderator
    That's a new one on me, CB. I had recently been wondering about the lack of postings in "what did someone yell at you", but now my lack of faith in humanity has been restored with your experience. .

Bedwards Of The West
    I don't even want to validate the terminology by saying this, so don't take it the wrong way... But I'm as white as they come. Just a weird thing to scream at at someone regardless. What better way to announce your idiocy?
    Last edited by CommuterBoy; 12-21-2015 at 09:53 PM.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

CB of the East
    That's the thing about being stupid - you don't even know how stupid you are.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    That's the thing about being stupid - you don't even know how stupid you are.
    John Cleese on this subject cracks me up.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XF-5-5MMpGw

To be on topic, I usually can't understand what anyone says when they yell at me while they travel 50+ mph but really, it very rarely happpens.

NDD
    Baby boy
    Quote Originally Posted by formula4speed View Post
    John Cleese on this subject cracks me up.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XF-5-5MMpGw

To be on topic, I usually can't understand what anyone says when they yell at me while they travel 50+ mph but really, it very rarely happpens.
    I can't understand what people are saying when they go 30 mph in the opposite direction, so it's just totally ineffective most of the time. I'm pretty sure someone told me once to get off the street or on the sidewalk, but all I heard was angry vowels with no full words.
    i am basically just an organic pattern recognition algorithm

Wierdo
    I'm a stay at home dad now so I don't have a commute but a couple years ago I did. About 8.5 mi on and empty desert highway into town then I'd carpool the next 20 miles into the city. I was riding crazy early, 3:30-4 AM-ish and every day a little red truck would honk at me. I'd get the occasional unintelligible yells, but that daily honk was driving me nuts.

On a more positive note one of the first couple days after I started on my way home I had to pull off to rest. An AK- Chin reservation cop stopped and offered me a cold bottle of water. Told me to be careful, lots of crazies on that road.
    There are two types of bikes: the kind you ride and the kind that get stolen.

mtbr member
    When anyone yells as they pass me in a car, I always respond with a big smile and a kind wave, the sort of response you would signal to your dearest neighbor. It is not an inappropriate response since most people who shout out of a moving car window are impossible to understand. For my mental health I just pretend they are shouting a compliment or expressing envy.

mtbr member
    Yesterday was a snowstorm up north, riding home was difficult in 4 inches of snow/sleet so had to be further in the road since sidewalks, bike paths and bike lanes pretty much impossible to ride on even with 29+ tires. Got a "get off the road!" and some honking. Responded with vulgarities and middle finger. Probably not the best way to handle it but was a very frustrating commute without being provoked. Most cars were courteous though. I should really just smile and wave, will try harder to do that next time...

mtbr member
    One winter day I was chugging home, uphill, standing on the pedals, on a side street during a snowstorm. Fortunately, I had installed my studded bike tires the night before. Just before the top of the hill a pickup truck pulled up behind me. There were nothing but parked cars and ruts in the snow so I got out of his way as soon as I could. When I did, he pulled next to me and rolled his window down. Instead of spewing anti-bike hatred, he praised me. He said, "Dude, you are a beast. I wish I could do what you are doing."

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011