Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    Trail Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by cerpindicular View Post
    This as me wondering (its probably the pain killers for my busted tooth talking but anyways). Can you actually get a speeding ticket on a bike? I know i have broken speed limits before because i regularly pass cars on downhills so just wondering.
    I've heard of ppl getting ticketed on a bike. They are classified as vehicles.

I'd actually be proud to get a speeding ticket on a bike. Probably frame it too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Yes cerpindicular, you can get a speeding ticket, on a pathway anyway. They actually had one guy pulled over and were giving him a ticket, it was the guy that shot by me on a road bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cerpindicular View Post
    Can you actually get a speeding ticket on a bike? I know i have broken speed limits before because i regularly pass cars on downhills so just wondering.
    Back in the day, Mt. Tam was (in) famous for this. They even used radar guns. They never got me though. I learned early to not wear anything distinguishable, and above all else, never stop.

But I have since seen the light, have repented for all my past transgressions, and am now on the straight and narrow....oh, and and I moved to the real Northern California where there is no such foolishness.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Only thing people have yelled at me was "Nice Tatts" or "did you see the arm's on that guy " LOL

I Ride for Donuts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiskare View Post
    the real Northern California where there is no such foolishness.
    Where are you at in the real Northern California? I've been pulled over once (ran a stop sign and deserved it) and lectured via PA system once (ran a stop sign and deserved it).
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mck.brad View Post
    I'd actually be proud to get a speeding ticket on a bike. Probably frame it too.
    come to think of it i could see me doing this also lol
    If you have sex in a car with airbags....does that count as safe sex???

I'm attracted to Gravity!
    The other day I was riding home through town on my 10 mile commute (each way), and pass this homeless looking guy on a bike....
    about 100 feet after that, he totally flips out - just gets super pissed and irate with me like I just punched him in the face..... so he starts sprinting after me. I'm cruising at 18 mph and he's catching up. Ok, buddy, you wanna race? So I lay on it hard, up to 28 mph, and drop him. I think he's gone, so a few blocks later at a T intersection, I stop at the stop sign to make a left, he catches me again, comes skidding in through the intersection...
    "You'd better pull over or I'm calling the cops!" He yelled out, followed by more irrational screaming and cursing. So I stomp on it again, this time he doesn't pursue.
    I was more scared of him than of the cops... if he did call them, he was so sketchy, he'd be the one in trouble.
    I think he was high on meth or something to have that kind of temper flare over nothing combined with that level of paranoia and bike speed from him.
    This is of course with the full commuter textbook load in panniers on the back.

mtbr member
    I had one of my co-workers yell "nice shirt!" , to which I replied "thanks I'm trying to stay low profile.". I was wearing one of these;
    High Visibility 3M ANSI II 5510 Micromesh T-Shirt Lime LG | 3M Scotchlite
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

Crazy Alaskan MTBer
    I recently got "get a ******* car fat ***" which makes no sense since I'm the one on a bike and they're the ones in a p.o.s. car.....go figure.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    get out of my way

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    While commuting in Southern California I have heard "eff you", "f*ggot" many times. In the '90s when every bozo went out and bought a Harley they would love to pull in the clutch and hit the throttle to try to startle me when they passed. Seems all the jerks don't ride their Harley's anymore...tee hee. I had a guy want to beat me up once because I was making a left turn from the left turn lane. We came to an agreement though. I had a passenger in a car throw a half full (maybe full?) can of coke at my back as he passed, while yelling "arrrrgggghhhh(?)"...unlucky for him the car got stuck behind others at the next red light....there are somethings I can't just brush off. There have been so many times, and so many things that have been yelled at me I can't remember them all...sad.

mtbr member
    I had two girls yell "Bad@ss Dude" at a light on my way home this morning. Kinda flattering.
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I was waiting at a stop light and when it changed I took off with a van next to me. The van speeds up and matches me. I was in the bike lane and was getting worried they were going to do something stupid like try to swerve into me so I started slowing down. The guy looks over and yells out the window, "You are going 20mph. Right... Now. Better speed up!" And then he drives off. Umm..thanks?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    this morning a driver hassled me this way :"
    - Get the f**k out my way, I am working and you make me lost my time
    - hahaha
    - What makes you laugh b*st*rd ?
    - I f*ck*d your mother
    - !!//l%*гии

and then I pedaled away............everytime a driver annoys me I insult his mother and that's a real pleasure
    Chistole Audax Club - "Unity, Pride and Charcuterie"

Clueless genius
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by brigadier View Post
    this morning a driver hassled me this way :"
    - Get the f**k out my way, I am working and you make me lost my time
    - hahaha
    - What makes you laugh b*st*rd ?
    - I f*ck*d your mother
    - !!//l%*гии

and then I pedaled away............everytime a driver annoys me I insult his mother and that's a real pleasure
    As much as I want to criticize you for how immature that was...I'm too busy laughing my to care!
    2009 GT Sanction 2.0
    2007 C'dale Prophet 5
    1994 C'dale M400

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    of course that's immature, but who cares ? drivers hassle me, I am not gonna be a pacific hippie, let's insult their mothers for make so dumb and hating people

and the good point is that you laughed ! and a a laugh a day keeps the doctor away

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by brigadier View Post
    of course that's immature, but who cares ? drivers hassle me, I am not gonna be a pacific hippie, let's insult their mothers for make so dumb and hating people

and the good point is that you laughed ! and a a laugh a day keeps the doctor away
    ing
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Living in Germany (which is rated 3rd in Europe for most bike friendly country... whcih probably also means 3rd in the world) I don't often have these sort of hassles or interactions.

I have had two times where I had cars come close enough to me or honk that made me genuinely scared or mad... one time was an elderly gentleman, and the other was a fellow American...

I did however have a motorist pull up besdie me the other day while I was out in the road instead of the shared bicycle and pedestrian path (which is a little too crowded for 30-35kph cruising).

MOTIRST: "Dort gibt's ein radweg, das kannst du mal benutzen"
    ME: "Dort gibt's mein asch, das kannst du mal lechen."

Rough translation:
    MOTORIST: "There is a bike path you know you can use it!" (but with very snyde tone)
    ME: There is my ass you know you can kiss it."

The translation does not do it justice, but in German it has a little more impact, as does the rudeness of his tone.

His response was a typically german scowl, and driving off very quickly....

The bike path ended and dumped into the road anyway 25 meters later---

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Hahahaha ! I love it ! Add me to your friends

"Hooligan bicycles"

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

We the people ...

Quote Originally Posted by Jonesy33 View Post
    MOTIRST: "Dort gibt's ein radweg, das kannst du mal benutzen"
    ME: "Dort gibt's mein asch, das kannst du mal lechen."

Rough translation:
    MOTORIST: "There is a bike path you know you can use it!" (but with very snyde tone)
    ME: There is my ass you know you can kiss it."
    Ahh the efficiency of the German language. Thanks for the Smile
    If you happen to see my lungs back there, tell them I've gone on ahead.

Bicycle Radical
    Quote Originally Posted by cash hunter View Post
    get out of my way
    Free people must travel the road to productive social relations at the speed of a bicycle.- Ivan Illich

~Disc~Golf~
    I'm crankin along @ ~85rpm (SS) and I hear, "woo work it" - "Go boy"
    -at this point I had just caught a light right, and they were barely eclipsing me. I glanced over and it was a SUV with 4-5 nice lookin dames. - There was some laughter... then I heard (after they passed me by a car-length) "Damn. he was kinda cute" - more laughter.

I had never wanted to catch a vehicle at a light so much at that moment
    More than someone cutting you off, etc.

alas, the next light was a half-mile and @ 40mph, I lost all 5 'soul-mates' for the night

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    argh ! You lost A CFNM party ticket !

Clueless genius
    Feb 2011
    "Your fixie sucks!"
    My bike doesn't look even remotely like a fixie...
    2009 GT Sanction 2.0
    2007 C'dale Prophet 5
    1994 C'dale M400

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by Spykr View Post
    "Your fixie sucks!"
    My bike doesn't look even remotely like a fixie...
    so they were totally right

Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast