Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    I Ride for Donuts

What cool wildlife did you see on your commute? (Pics if possible)

Inspired by the 'how was your commute' thread:

Quote Originally Posted by cyclingdutchman View Post

Nice bird btw. I wonder what kind of wildlife you all see along the way?
    So lets see (or hear about) what critters you spotted on your commute!

I've got tons of pictures from the past several years, but I'll start throwing them in here from now on...

I can remember seeing:
    Deer (countless, see them almost every day)
    Bald Eagle (yesterday, the inspiration for this thread)
    Fox
    Marmots
    Coyote
    Snakes (Bull, Garter, Rattle)
    Do Canadian Geese count?
    Do Snow Geese count?
    Skunk (brake check!)
    Raccoon
    Peacocks
    Suicidal Squirrels
    Wild Turkeys
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Lets see...

Deer? One alive, many as road kill
    Bald Eagle? Several but not while riding my bike
    Fox? Yep. And kits.
    Marmots? In the east Groundhogs, check
    Coyote? Yep, one.
    Snakes? (Bull, Garter, Rattle) Yep. only garter snakes on the bike though.
    Do Canadian Geese count? Can't count how many if they do!
    Do Snow Geese count? None come through here. How about Mallards?
    Skunk (brake check!)? Yes! Time to reroute when one is after grubs near the road on the neighbor's lawn!
    Raccoon? Pretty much nocturnal. Have seen many. Only road kill ones on the bike though.
    Peacocks? Yes. Same place had Guinea hens on the road.
    Suicidal Squirrels? Doesn't everyone?
    Wild Turkeys? Not on the bike. Hit one with the car. One windshield totaled.

Buzzards?
    Pileated Woodpecker?
    Crazy Cottontails?
    Red Tail Hawk?
    Cooper's Hawk?
    Kite?

Wild Rams? (Coaling sort, not sure if these guys qualify as "wild life". Wild, no doubt.)
    Impalas? Usually driven fairly tamely. But have nearly been sideswiped by one turning left from the center lane of a one-way 3 lane street with me in the right lane. Maybe just Mr. Magoo, rather than driving like an animal, but a possible.
    Mustangs? Lots.
    Mavericks, Pintos, and Broncos are rare now once passed me or I rolled by them broken down.
    Barracudas, Marlins mostly seen at car shows now.

One former buzzard:

The antithesis of your Bald Eagle!

mtbr member
    Tons of birds, obviously. I think the one thing that stood out was a gator. This wasn't on a trail, or out in the woods, but the middle of downtown. Came in through a storm drain, and I was the first one to find him. Called it in, and when I passed the area again in my work truck, animal control was there with a trapper.
    Bourbon: Because no good story ever started with "So, there we were eating salads".

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Hmm...lets see:

Deer (nothing special here, we're the deer capital of the world >_> )
    Osprey
    The same two or three crows every few months (does that count as a murder?)
    Fat bluejays that eat cat food
    Possum
    Squirrel
    Swans/geese
    Seagulls/terns
    Black vultures

Pics probably never forthcoming. Wildlife doesn't wait for me to stop and pull out a camera, 'less it's dead.

Moderator Moderator

Spotted salamander and friends

I found a few in my archives...more uncommon now that I have a road commute.

What cool wildlife did you see on your commute? (Pics if possible)-p1050673-1280x960-.jpg

Name:  P7022016.JPG
Views: 185
Size:  64.3 KB

What cool wildlife did you see on your commute? (Pics if possible)-spider.jpg

What cool wildlife did you see on your commute? (Pics if possible)-deerjumping.jpg

Name:  P1000287.JPG
Views: 183
Size:  99.5 KB

What cool wildlife did you see on your commute? (Pics if possible)-spotted.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What cool wildlife did you see on your commute? (Pics if possible)-p3291719.jpg  

What cool wildlife did you see on your commute? (Pics if possible)-beavers.jpg  

What cool wildlife did you see on your commute? (Pics if possible)-p1020146.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    One former buzzard:
    Closely related to Ex-Parrot? I liked your internal combustion wildlife review

MtbX, great archive- I remember quite a few of those! What kind of birds are in the picture between the leaping whitetail and the speedy little salamander? Some kind of turkey? Also, that just post might be the first time I`ve ever been called "wild".

On my commute...
    Daily or near daily:
    cottontails
    California Quail

Weekly:
    jackrabbit (which is actually not A RABBIT)
    some kind of dove
    two kinds of squirrels
    kangaroo mice
    coyotes (audible)

Occasionally:
    coyotes (visual)
    redtail hawk
    pygmy owls

Once:
    fox
    chicken (a mile from nearest house)
    pronghorn antelope (which is actually NOT an antelope)
    Recalculating....

Moderator Moderator
    ^^ Those are wild turkeys, they have made a great comeback in New England.

Pronghorn antelope, that would be cool!

z1r
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I've seen tons of animals but the coolest for some reason was seeing a wild turkey in town less than a mile from my work. I see tons of Geese daily so it took a second to register that this big bird was not quite right.

last year my boys and I were riding the same trail I commute to work on and saw two huge Mule Deer covered in velvet. They were grazing just inches away.

A gator in town would cause quite a stir here!

I gotta remember to keep a camera more available and to stop and smell the roses more frequently.

the worst was also last year. I came upon a guy standing at the corner looking all disheveled and beat up. Stopped and asked him if he needed any help and he just kind of looked at me with a blank stare. Came to find out a suicidal squirrel ran through his front wheel. When it lodged against the forks it caused him to do an immediate face plant. I stayed with him until his ride arrived. I'm not sure if he hit his head but he was really out of it.

Less than a week later, I ran over a prairie dog.

@mtbxplorer, that salamander pic is awesome.

mtbr member
    ^ Had a cottontail try to do the kamikaze squirrel on me. It brushed the back of my front wheel and the rear felt like it ran over the legs. It kept going and was not to be seen, so euthanasia could not be administered. It may be very lucky that I am now 70 pounds under my weight when I resumed cycling in 2008.

I agree that catching some of these critters on camera will be a challenge.

mtbr member
    Dug back through my photos and didn't find much:

I see plenty of coyotes, but have never gotten a picture.

Saw a ringnecked pheasant on a ride home once, which was strange because I've never seen one before or since. They don't seem very mobile, so I don't know how that one got there.

And a bunch of raptors hangout at the far northeast end of town by the refineries for some reason. On the trails around there it's pretty common to get buzzed by owl and hawks and eagles.

I Ride for Donuts
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    pronghorn antelope (which is actually NOT an antelope)
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post

Pronghorn antelope, that would be cool!
    Forgot them. I see them once in a great while also. There are a couple herds further out into the high desert/sage brush that sometimes wander closer to my side of the valley (I live on the EDGE of the sierras... I'm in the pines, but once you leave the trees at the end of my dirt road, if you kept going straight you'd have to go all the way to Idaho before you see pine trees again

I Ride for Donuts
    Found it... I knew I had snapped a pic at one point..

What cool wildlife did you see on your commute? (Pics if possible)-305161_4860712527223_1005629215_n.jpg

noob bikepacker
    Hmmm...

College Students; homeless people; crust punks; people waiting for the bus; dogs; squirrels; cats....all urban commuting for me
    Iv'e Got sXe!
    NAATD
    '15 Surly ECR (en route)
    '94 Trek Mountain Track 830
    '88 Mongoose Californian Pro
    '81 Mongoose Supergoose

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Ok, what I can show, besides the usual ducks and other small birds:

the boar, hard to see a bit lower left of the windmill:
    What cool wildlife did you see on your commute? (Pics if possible)-dscn9977.jpg

roe deers:
    What cool wildlife did you see on your commute? (Pics if possible)-dscn9981.jpg
    run away when you stop and look at them:
    What cool wildlife did you see on your commute? (Pics if possible)-dscn9982.jpg

Furthermore I sometimes see something swimming in a ditch along the way. Do not know what it is, it's size is somewhat between rat and beaver.

And in my street I once saw a fox with a chicken in its mouth (hasn't met our monster cat I guess).
    ~ When the going gets tough, the tough get going ~

weirdo
    I was thinking about this thread after my last post and I KNOW the topic has come up before, maybe in its own thread, maybe as part of another. `Bout 3 or 4 years ago? Perttime or Fux awed us with some really exotic (for us NA-ers) critters from northern Europe, including lynx reindeer, and (IIRC) monster moose. It`s a good thing that CyclingDutchman saved himself after instigating the topic again by posting up some roe deer action or we`d have had to send him on a long mission!

Call out now to the Ausiies and Kiwis. What happened to our southern team?
    Recalculating....

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by z1r View Post
    @mtbxplorer, that salamander pic is awesome.
    Thanks, but I must apologize, that is the only one I posted that I did not take! I did see a spotted salamander, the joke was it was slower than me, but I must have uploaded a better pic than I tooK, but failed at that detail yesterday.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Well if you want roe deer action, you get it, from this morning:

first one:
    What cool wildlife did you see on your commute? (Pics if possible)-dscn0008.jpg

then a group of 4, below the right windmill (I admit, a bit hard to see)
    What cool wildlife did you see on your commute? (Pics if possible)-dscn0009.jpg

then two more between the apple trees (center of pic):
    What cool wildlife did you see on your commute? (Pics if possible)-dscn0011.jpg

I do not know if it counts, because it is AFTER my commute, there is a crow's nest with 4 baby's in the staircase next to my office:
    What cool wildlife did you see on your commute? (Pics if possible)-dscn0014.jpg

they are always hungry:
    What cool wildlife did you see on your commute? (Pics if possible)-dscn0020.jpg

The last pics are a bit blurry, because the window can not be opened. I look at them once every day, they are now a week old. They hatched last week during the night from Monday to Tuesday.

And the Rat/Beaver mix I was talking about before, is probably a muskrat:
    Muskrat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Last edited by cyclingdutchman; 3 Weeks Ago at 09:16 AM. Reason: muskrat added

z1r
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    No pics because it was raining this morning but I saw a Goose with some new hatchlings. The Mother ran right toward me flapping her wings in an effort to scare me off.

The first week in February we saw about four or five days where the temps hit the mid 70's. On one of those days on my way home I crossed a bridge. As I got to the other side the trail takes a hard left. Just as I hit the trail I see a huge bull snake sunning itself. I had to swerve hard to the right to avoid it hoping all the while I didn't wipe out. I missed it and stayed upright. I hate the sound of snake being run over!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Not sure if this qualifies. Blue the ox is free- range, not wild. Photo taken mid- farm, at the business end of the commute.

Lots of sand hill cranes in the fields all of a sudden, no good photos yet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What cool wildlife did you see on your commute? (Pics if possible)-img_20150506_151153853.jpg  

Moderator Moderator
    ^^BIG ox and a brave soul! I'll raise you a nice pony. Plus a turkey(?) feather and some crazy bright stuff growing on a rock.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What cool wildlife did you see on your commute? (Pics if possible)-p3181673.jpg  

What cool wildlife did you see on your commute? (Pics if possible)-p6181996.jpg  

What cool wildlife did you see on your commute? (Pics if possible)-p6191998.jpg  

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclingdutchman View Post
    they are always hungry:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0020.JPG 
Views:	33 
Size:	167.7 KB 
ID:	986496

Quote Originally Posted by Rustedthrough View Post
    Blue the ox is free- range, not wild.
    Whoa, it`s enormous!!! Is that like half buffalo or something?
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    What cool wildlife did you see on your commute? (Pics if possible)-400840_493388397394959_109687430_n.jpg

Not from a commute, but still cool...

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    deer, turkey and a fisher, obviously all the normal things like chipmunks and squirrels, hawks etc...

wasnt riding but when I was turkey hunting I saw family of black bears, about 40 yds from me in a thick part of the woods, I just stood there for awhile and watched the mom and cubs hanging out and eating. the mom would stand up and look around every so often and go back to doing its thing. Decided to head out and not push my luck, the last mom and cubs I ran into the mom wasnt as friendly.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    This thread brings good karma, since it was startet I see way more animals along the way, or maybe I pay more attention??

Anyway, I have seen the Muskrat again today, but I could not take a pic. It disappeared under water and although I followed its bubble trail, it disappeared in the grass before I got it.

And I have seen five boars today with four babys:What cool wildlife did you see on your commute? (Pics if possible)-dscn0027.jpg

I really need to get a camera with more than 5x optical zoom....

I Ride for Donuts
    ^^ Boars! That's cool.

This guy was back on my route this morning. Check out the size of the rabbit (I think?) legs he has up there... breakfast of champions. I hope he doesn't grab me off of my bike and carry me away one of these days.

What cool wildlife did you see on your commute? (Pics if possible)-screen-shot-2015-05-12-8.18.30-am.jpg

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast