LCA
    Local Shop Abuser
    Apr 2009

What commuter for WI roads and winter ice

Looking for a bike that will do well with mainly road travel but will also provide the ability to cover ice or go through small patches of snow without slipping out.

Searched around and there's some mention of Specialized Sirrus? Cannondale Bad Boy and the Cannondale Quick Series.

Cannondale Bad Boy apparently isn't as smooth a ride as the Quick but pm the other hand will the Quick be able to handle tougher road conditions?

I'm extremely lost on which Quick Series to be looking at.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

What commuter for WI roads and winter ice

Price range?

I Ride for Donuts
    Pick a comfortable bike, then add studs. Geometry doesn't add traction. I'd be looking at tire clearance and the ability to fit some good studded tires, and I'd get a second wheelset set up with studs, so you're ready to go when the weather gets bad.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

LCA
    Local Shop Abuser
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
    Price range?
    Like to get something in the 600$ range but will go up to 8-9 hundred is necessary

Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    Pick a comfortable bike, then add studs. Geometry doesn't add traction. I'd be looking at tire clearance and the ability to fit some good studded tires, and I'd get a second wheelset set up with studs, so you're ready to go when the weather gets bad.
    When you say geometry, are you talking about Cannondale and Specialized?

Other suggestions for bikes?

LCA
    Local Shop Abuser
    Apr 2009
    Perhaps even building one would be less expensive?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    i think the trek 7.1 bikes would make a great commuter. I live in northern illinois and just got a salsa fargo but i also commute on a bianchi san jose.

LCA
    Local Shop Abuser
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by BigE610 View Post
    i think the trek 7.1 bikes would make a great commuter. I live in northern illinois and just got a salsa fargo but i also commute on a bianchi san jose.
    Not to big on Treks. Always thought of them as a cheap version of a good bike.

I'd like to get some more suggestions, the used bike market in northern Wi is horrible. Craigslist has nothing and the only store that does sell bikes doesn't have much to offer.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Well if you got the money I would highly recommend the salsa fargo or even the surly ogre. I love mine. I have it for a few months and have had it set up with big apples for commuting and then threw some knobbies on and got some dirt time. now i have small block eights on it and some fenders and its the best of both worlds. If you call around you can find some 2012's on clearance for around 1000 bucks

I Ride for Donuts
    I was just saying that for the conditions you are describing, having studded tires would be more important than the actual make/model/geometry of whatever bike you are riding.

My favorite commuters have been rigid, hardtail 29ers with drop bars, that I've built up myself. I've had road frames and cyclocross frames in the mix also, but the 29er is where it's at in my opinion. You can get way more tire in a 29er frame, and nothing is as comfortable as a big, fat slick. Part of my commute is on dirt roads, and I've found that anything under 1.5" doesn't make me as happy. For the winter, I have a second wheelset with studded tires ready to pop in (this winter was my first with this set-up, in the past I've just swapped in the knobby wheelset off of my mountian bike, which is also a 29er)

My current commuter frame/fork is a Surly Ogre. I love it.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    My lbs has a surly ogre set up for commuting with alfine hub for 1000 bucks. not sure what size your looking for and what part of wisconsin your from but its an awesome deal.

LCA
    Local Shop Abuser
    Apr 2009
    My lbs has a surly ogre set up for commuting with alfine hub for 1000 bucks. not sure what size your looking for and what part of wisconsin your from but its an awesome deal.
    Ooo where's it at? I'm in Rice Lake area.

LCA
    Local Shop Abuser
    Apr 2009
    Looking at obscure brands that aren't quite as known as others around. I'm thinking if I look right I could get a pretty decent build for less money then well known brands

mtbr member

Re: What commuter for WI roads and winter ice

A Quick 3 or an entry Quick CX with studded tires will fit the bill. In the summer pull off the studs and off you go.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

LCA
    Local Shop Abuser
    Apr 2009
    What are the main differences between the SL and CX series?

Moderator Moderator
    Sorry, don't know anything about those bikes, but if this is for a commute, how far are you going? If it's not too far, a MTB with studded tires will be more secure on snow, but if it's far. or the snow (& worse, ice) is really just a few patches, you could get away with skinnier studded tires that are faster on the clear road sections. FWIW, here in VT it's usually plenty of snow, plenty of ice, or quite clear. Road with occasional snow patches isn't that common.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I was just thinking if your in the rice lake area keep an eye on the twin cities craigslist. they always seem to have some awesome bikes on there. its not too far of drive to save some cash.

LCA
    Local Shop Abuser
    Apr 2009
    Craigslist isn't a bad idea. I've checked a few times and didn't see much worthwhile. I'll keep checking.

Going to the LBS tomorrow to sit on a few bikes and see what's up.

LCA
    Local Shop Abuser
    Apr 2009
    I was just thinking if your in the rice lake area keep an eye on the twin cities craigslist. they always seem to have some awesome bikes on there. its not too far of drive to save some cash.
    Your LBS does ship! Exchanging emails right now. He's gonna send some pics and some more info soon. Interested in seeing what people who own a Surly say?

That Salsa Fargo is looking pretty sweet also. The Alfine would be nice but I'm wondering if the Fargo would be a better overall fit.

Can the Fargo be outfitted with an Alfine 8 later on down the road?

LCA
    Local Shop Abuser
    Apr 2009
    I don't know guy's, I'm really on the edge about sizing with the Ogre. I'm 6'1 with 32 inch inseam. sat on a 19inch at the LBS and the stand over was good so I'm not sure if an 18inch would really make much of a difference?

I do have a longer the normal reach so that could play into sizing as well. But I haven't ridden a mountain bike in forever. I'm coming from BMX with a top tube size of 21.5 being just about right even a tad short. Any help from fellow bikers who have this same sizing in BMX and switched over to mountain biking?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Im pretty close to your size and I would think a large or 20" would probably fit you better. with an 18in you would probably have a lot of seatpost exposed and probably have to change out stems. But every bike is different. You probably would be best off sitting on it and seeing for yourself. Ive never ridden a surly but have heard they run a little big.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I am 6'2" with a saddle height of 800mm and ride an 18 on a surly 1x1. I like my position to be long and low though, so i have a -17degree stem. For a commuting bike i would step up a size for a bike with more stability, especially while loaded.

ps you can put an internally geared hub on most bikes aftermarket weather you pick a bike with 120, 130, 135mm spacing. That being said it helps if the bike has a way to adjust the chain tension. If the bike does not have this option you will need a chain tensioner like a phil wood eccentric bb, an eno eccentric hub, or a cheesy looking tensioner on the der. hanger.

My vote goes to the Ogre. As it is a bit more versatile.