I need skills
    Jul 2004

We've all daydreamed about it.....

There are a few traffic reroutes that would speed up my ride.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

sheep in FOX clothing
    Here's one for ya:

Following the City of Toronto Cycling Map recommended bike route to work (and the only route that doesn't add 2 an extra 2 miles) requires that I either:

- make an illegal left turn (at an intersection with lights, slow traffic and a left turn lane at a place where there are big gaps in traffic in the other direction)

- make a sketchy but legal left turn further down with no lights, no real intersection, a narrow middle lane, and 4 lanes of traffic getting up speed (70+ kph) with dubious gaps.

Sometimes the gridlock extends a bit further down allowing me to cross and turn at the legal location without issues, but not always. Moreover, they actually post a cop at the intersection during the summer to nail people using the forbidden fruit of that big fat left turn lane. (He's never nabbed me, since now that I know where he parks, I can tell if he's there before I commit to the taboo left turn)

mtbr member
    ^^ Depending on the time/danger of the next intersection, I suppose converting to a pedestrian to get the forbidden left at the light might be safer and faster. Best done from the right side of the road. If there is a crosswalk and a median, what happens if you dismount in the left turn lane and then walk and wait in the crosswalk in the median for the light to change? I know of no rules that say you have to enter a crosswalk at the curb. Just an idea.

BrianMc

sheep in FOX clothing
    No dice. They removed the crosswalk from that side.

sheep in FOX clothing
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruiser View Post
    - make a sketchy but legal left turn further down with no lights, no real intersection, a narrow middle lane, and 4 lanes of traffic getting up speed (70+ kph) with dubious gaps.
    Fall 2014 Road Conditions update!

So due to long-term construction (i.e. since August) the "narrow middle turn lane" has now been completely removed in lane re-striping to allow for construction equipment to occupy the curb lane.

So my options are now to make that *illegal* left turn at the traffic lights with a wide open dedicated left turn lane, or I can *legally* make a left turn further down by BLOCKING THE PASSING LANE ON AN ARTERIAL ROAD with continuous 80kph traffic.

The outlaw rides again.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Confused...why is therea turn lane where you aren't permitted to turn. Isn't that a waste of road space and terribly misleading?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruiser View Post
    Fall 2014 Road Conditions update!

So due to long-term construction (i.e. since August) the "narrow middle turn lane" has now been completely removed in lane re-striping to allow for construction equipment to occupy the curb lane.

So my options are now to make that *illegal* left turn at the traffic lights with a wide open dedicated left turn lane, or I can *legally* make a left turn further down by BLOCKING THE PASSING LANE ON AN ARTERIAL ROAD with continuous 80kph traffic.

The outlaw rides again.
    That sounds like the same logic that is sometimes used by the road authorities in Singapore (drive on the left though). At one specific junction cannot turn right or u-turn at a junction but can block the righthand lane and pull a U Turn across 3 lanes of traffic several hundred meters further up and then turn left at the junction with no right turn.
    Generally if a stop light goes to green and you turn left do you have right of way? No the pedestrian lights on the road you are about to turn into go to green at the same time and you have to give way to them.
    I am sure that there is a good reason for this but for the life in me I don't get it.

sheep in FOX clothing
    Quote Originally Posted by fotooutdoors View Post
    Confused...why is therea turn lane where you aren't permitted to turn. Isn't that a waste of road space and terribly misleading?
    Excellent question. My best guess is that people with political clout live on the street and didn't want traffic cutting through their 'hood. I'm fine with that, and usually the City will give them a turning ban in either the morning of afternoon rush hours, with exclusions for bikes and school buses, but these guys somehow got the left turn closed down to all traffic for the entire day.

Streetview documents the mayhem nicely:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.76053...oyrM_mlLEA!2e0

In addition to the bizarre turn restriction, note the continuous heavy traffic, freeway exits/underpass, mangled pavement, metal road plates, and of course the ghost bike at the SW corner (RIP Allan).

Some of you may also recognize this intersection as the setting of this short film.

Yep, all the field marks of a bike commuting mecca.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Bummer...I certainly would take the illegal turn. My life is worth more than a ticket, and you may get a sympathetic judge if it comes down to it. My general riding philosophy is to make sure I and those around me are safe, and then follow the law if the law doesn't hamper safety.

FBI tested, NSA approved!
    The obvious answer is Jump Ramps! How awesome would it be to jump traffic at an intersection (after the requisite crashes to establish the speed and launch/land techniques).
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

mtbr member
    I remember that video. Did you send the link to the Bayview Minibus people?

It looks like you could cross the intersection in the right lane then pull onto the sidewalk/crosswalk. Dismount. Salute Allan's memory, then pedestrian-mode it across on the next change of lights, mount up and ride that neighborhood. Provided that you get a walk signal. I really hate going through 2 changes of lights to figure out a Don't Walk signal is broken. I have the most impolite thoughts for the traffic controller or maintenance people at that point. With traffic like the minibus, the wait to cross might be well worth the time.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    On the topic of funny cycling cartoons...

We've all daydreamed about it.....-roadlaneends.jpg

picture by Steve Patrick Adams

sheep in FOX clothing
    This one's not on my commute route, but here's a strange counter-example from only a few blocks away:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.75979...ir3jq-dkUA!2e0

A rush-hour based left turn restriction, with an explicit exception for bicycles only, and NO LEFT turn lane.

So to make this legal turn, we're gonna come to a stop in the passing lane of a rush-hour arterial road and wait for a gap in the other direction? At a location where all other traffic is mandated to go straight through?

I don't think so.