I need skills
    Jul 2004

We've all daydreamed about it.....

There are a few traffic reroutes that would speed up my ride.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

sheep in FOX clothing
    Here's one for ya:

Following the City of Toronto Cycling Map recommended bike route to work (and the only route that doesn't add 2 an extra 2 miles) requires that I either:

- make an illegal left turn (at an intersection with lights, slow traffic and a left turn lane at a place where there are big gaps in traffic in the other direction)

- make a sketchy but legal left turn further down with no lights, no real intersection, a narrow middle lane, and 4 lanes of traffic getting up speed (70+ kph) with dubious gaps.

Sometimes the gridlock extends a bit further down allowing me to cross and turn at the legal location without issues, but not always. Moreover, they actually post a cop at the intersection during the summer to nail people using the forbidden fruit of that big fat left turn lane. (He's never nabbed me, since now that I know where he parks, I can tell if he's there before I commit to the taboo left turn)

mtbr member
    ^^ Depending on the time/danger of the next intersection, I suppose converting to a pedestrian to get the forbidden left at the light might be safer and faster. Best done from the right side of the road. If there is a crosswalk and a median, what happens if you dismount in the left turn lane and then walk and wait in the crosswalk in the median for the light to change? I know of no rules that say you have to enter a crosswalk at the curb. Just an idea.

BrianMc

sheep in FOX clothing
    No dice. They removed the crosswalk from that side.