mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Warning Gross Pics

I was riding back from work this morning and found this on the trail. Kinda gross but I thought it's interesting how much more you see on a bike as opposed to a car.
    I thought maybe it got in a fight with a coyote but it has that deep hole where the animal tore the intestines out so I was thinking maybe a fisher cat?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Fat & Hairy; 03-02-2009 at 08:11 AM.

jrm
    mtbr member

I agree on seeing more

Quote Originally Posted by Fat & Hairy
    I was riding back from work this morning and found this on the trail. Kinda gross but I thought it's interesting how much more you see on a bike as opposed to a car.
    I thought maybe a coyote got it but it has that deep hole where the animal tore the intestines out so I was thinking maybe a fisher cat?

and yeah it is "kinda" gross.
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

kind of gross

I've seen a few X-pets in the remains of the melted snow banks. They were also "kind of gross"

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    It's crazy that there just happened to be a Pugsley laying next to it? Sweet bike.

What is a Fisher Cat?

I have recently noticed I'm on the same morning schedule as a skunk. It has been fun to ride with him for a 100 yards or so every once in while. More stuff that does not happen in a car.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    haha reminds me of riding to school on the bus one day.... saw a fairly fresh cat... with it's intestines pulled out... neat... in a disgusting sort of way
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

Ovaries on the Outside
    Huh. That is a pretty weird hole in its side. Poor guy....

WooHoo Biking!!!!
    I agree, what is a fisher cat?
    Also, by the look of your bike, are you in Alaska? Those are pretty big tires and rims.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by goodvibe
    I agree, what is a fisher cat?
    Also, by the look of your bike, are you in Alaska? Those are pretty big tires and rims.
    No I'm in Vermont. The bike is a Surly Pugsley.
    A fisher cat is a small carnivore. http://home.mcn.net/~wtu/fisher.html
    It's adept at killing porcupines by attacking their face and then eating through their belly.
    I just thought the picture was interesting in a C.S.I. kind of way of "What happened here?"
    It wasn't on the trail when I rode to work. I thought the hole might be a fisher. Looking at the picture again it looks like the fox has a broken leg. Maybe it got hit by a snowmobile and then some animal or crows or something got to it.
    Last edited by Fat & Hairy; 03-03-2009 at 02:53 AM.

mtbr member
    That hole in the gut could be from a scavenging bird that came upon the kill later. I've seen the exact same sort of deep round opening immediately after unintentionally scaring away a turkey vulture from a dead animal.

jrm
    mtbr member

This is grosser-er

Quote Originally Posted by Fat & Hairy
    I thought maybe it got in a fight with a coyote but it has that deep hole where the animal tore the intestines out so I was thinking maybe a fisher cat?
    shes a man baby

Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys