Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004

Warning: Cannot Commute!

Get it? Cannot Compute?...ha

Anyway, I can't commute. It bums me out. Living in rural Marietta, Pennyslvania, about 25 miles from Harrisburg, and 15 miles from Lancaster.

You say "15 miles isn't a bad commute", well it is when the roads travels don't have berms and are high traffic areas, along with drivers in this area not having any understanding of how to pass cyclists, its pretty much a death wish.

I'm a college student, so I require a job during the summer that pays well enough to make up for the college semester. This means going to where the jobs are. Far away. After my internship ends next week I'll likely be going back to $17hr job 35 miles away.

Ugh. Depressing.

Anyone else have legitimate reason why they can't commute? Anyone not take a job because they couldn't commute?

Nice no rass
    I'd love to commute, but can't. I'm rural PA as well and where I work near PGH would be a death wish to commute. The 2 roads I take are narrow, hilly and twisty, no room for bikes. The hill billies here can't keep their pickups in their own lane, much less not hit a biker. I'd thought of commuting even the last couple miles, but there's no way I'd ride this section of Rt. 30. Too dangerous.

weirdo
    Well, I think this is the first I`ve seen of anybody bothering to post in a forum dedicated to bike commuting jut to say they don`t do it. I`ve read several posts on another forum by people who were fed up and either decided to stop biking to work or were considering stopping.

tlg
    (enter witty phrase here)
    Same here. I live in PA too and the roads just don't lend well to bike riding, especially during rush hour. I've been trying for the past two weeks to find a route to ride to work. The shortest way is 15mi. and a death wish. I've been using www.mapmyride.com to try different routes. I think I found a route that's about half way. I'll drive half way, leave my car and ride the rest. I'm probably gonna give it a try Friday.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Amish country during tourist season. Yikes.

I was out of commuting for a while bc my wife was worried I'd get hurt. High gas prices and my promises to keep to the residential streets as much as possible got her to change her mind so I'm back in the game.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    i just tried mapmyride, and it won't even calculate my route because it's too far.
    on the other hand, i didn't explore it much, and it's not the most intuitive site, so i'll play with it a bit more on friday.
    i want to commute, but the best ways to do so involve some major roads, and in dallas, that usually means getting hit by somebody. if i can figure out some good back roads, i'll try it, but it's gonna be a journey. plus side? i'll be in the best shape i've been in since i was 18, maybe better. and 18 is starting to be a little lost for the years...

she keep you buying rats
    I can't commute ...because I'm self employed and work from home.
    ;-)

tlg
    (enter witty phrase here)
    Quote Originally Posted by wardfoto
    i just tried mapmyride, and it won't even calculate my route because it's too far.
    mapmyride doesn't work like typical mapping systems where you pick the start and end points. You manually pick your route turn by turn or road by road. Try piecing your route in many short segments. This gives you the ability to take shortcuts, longcuts, detours, and bypasses that you can't do with the typical mapping system.

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    I think I'll ride to school some days. It's about 15 miles, but where as my work commute now (intern), or at my summer job next month (35 miles away) would lead to certain death, my school ride is on rural country roads with no traffic.

XTR is the shizz-nizz...
    I'd also commute if my ride wasn't 35 miles each way...

mtbr member
    House door to work door one way is 45 miles for me.

But I'm still commuting.

I drive the Highway into town, park at my wife's office just off the Interstate and take the bike paths the rest of the way to work. On the path, it's just at 5.5 miles one way. I'm saving a some gas and slowly losing my 40lbs of extra ballast.

My wife starts her summer break on Monday. I'll park where the Highway hits the Interstate and take the bike path...cutting my drive and adding to my bike commute about 4 miles one way.

Colorado Springs has a great network of bike paths!
    Phillipians 2:3-8 "...but (Christ) made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant..."

Known Mountainbiker
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar
    Well, I think this is the first I`ve seen of anybody bothering to post in a forum dedicated to bike commuting jut to say they don`t do it. I`ve read several posts on another forum by people who were fed up and either decided to stop biking to work or were considering stopping.
    I'd teleport to work but the minimum distance that my teleporter will work is 1 light year (5,878,625,373,183.61 miles) and it's only 7 miles to work so I just ride my bike.

Caz
    I am a Mountain Biker therefore I am late

mtbr member
    Well, you just need to upgrade to a Worm Hole.

They can go really, really LONG distances...or short. The really hard part about making them work for a commute though is you just don't know where you're going to end up - so you might be late to work most days.
    Phillipians 2:3-8 "...but (Christ) made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant..."

Another Retro Grouch
    I have a 5-6 mile commute (one way), the last mile is sidewalks dodging cars making turns into parking lots. People at work ask me if I'm saving gas...I tell 'em if you can ride your bike to work regularly, you probably live too close to work to really save on gas. Even at today's gas prices, it only cost about $1.50 per day in gas, I spent ~$1000 on a new bike. For me, it's my heath club. If I had to ride another mile or two of sidewalks, I wouldn't ride to work.

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pursuiter
    I have a 5-6 mile commute (one way), the last mile is sidewalks dodging cars making turns into parking lots. People at work ask me if I'm saving gas...I tell 'em if you can ride your bike to work regularly, you probably live too close to work to really save on gas. Even at today's gas prices, it only cost about $1.50 per day in gas, I spent ~$1000 on a new bike. For me, it's my heath club. If I had to ride another mile or two of sidewalks, I wouldn't ride to work.
    If you ride for a 3-4 years though, you might start earning it back, but I would agree, its more about enjoying the trip to work than it is about saving money. It also depends what the traffic is like in your area.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Darkness

I wish I could commute, but it's really difficult for me. I have plenty of backroads, or pure highway. The backroads wouldn't be too bad, except I've work 3:00 p.m. to 11:30 p.m. I wouldn't be caught dead (well, I'd be dead) riding at night on those roads. They are always filled with drunks and crazies.

Wife and I are considering moving to another town, which conicidently would put me right on a back trail to my work's back door. Literally.

Oh, to be so lucky.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    i would love to commute .. but there are only two roads that lead from where i live to where i work ... one of them is a real busy rural highway .. with no shoulder at all ... and about a 20 foot drop off on each side of the road with water ... the other is a state highway with numerous narrow bridges ... and a lot of gravel truck and log truck traffic on it ...

then i am in the city and have a few options to ride to work ... have debated several times about driving my car halfway and biking the other half .. but not to crazy about leaving my car someplace that i can not access it easily if i need to

Drunk Poster
    You could try contacting your government represenatives (aka politicians) and ask them to change this.
    =)

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I do not use cars so if I feel my commute were to be too long I would no work their or I would move.

Dirty High Desert Guy
    I'm required to drive my company car to work. Due to the nature of my job, it would cause serious porblems if I pressed the issue of commuting on my bicycle. I get my riding in at night on the Kona when I get home, and try to take my mountain bike out on the weekend.

Resident Newbie
    Jun 2007
    I feel your pain. I live in York, PA not far from you but I work in Baltimore. Can't ride a bike down I-83 and around 695! Sucks!
    08' Haro X6LT

mtbr member
    If you cannot commute, you can't get to work. Oh, wait. I get it. You can't commute by bike. Maybe you should have stated that up front.
    Your fear of looking stupid is holding you back.

Spooooon!
    I understand about wanting to commute by bike, but choosing not to do it. I live 15 miles from work and have three routes to choose from; a busy highway, a less busy highway with no shoulder and frequent farm equipment transport, and gravel roads. The kicker is that for most of the year I leave in the dark and get home in the dark, so I've determined that this is not an option for me, besides that, I prefer to get home in time to tuck my daughter in at night.

g3h6o3
    Good reason not to commute? Damn I broke my collar bone last weekend. I miss all my bikes, not just the commuter!
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I live across the Potomac from where I work, the new bridge hasn't opened the bike lanes yet. They were supposed to open months ago. Once it opens it'll be sweet, less than 2 miles. I'm kind of a backwards commuter, I only use the car for work and bike, walk, or Metro everywhere else. My last tank of gas has lasted me over a month, I can walk to Amtrak and I'm 2 metro stops to the airport. I might just get rid of the car altogether when the bridge is finished..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast