mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Wald Folding Baskets

Anyone have a pair? What do you think of them?

http://www.waldsports.com/index.cfm/...ingbasket.html

They make a liner for them, but it does not look like it is waterproof or closes. I was thinking of making something waterproof that would velcro inside the basket and zip shut at the top.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Don't have! Agree looks interesting.
    Instead of making something waterproof, why not just use their insulated liner bag?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I was thinking of something that would be thin enough to fold up inside the basket, and still have a secure top. More like a combination of some of their bags. I also like making things myself. My mom lives about an hour away, and she can sew anything, so it is worth a try to me.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Had a pair and didn't like them. Noisy when folded, didn't seem up to holding much weight. Admitedly, a good liner would add much utility, but if you ae doing that, why not get a nice set of removable paniers?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    ^^ Because a nice set of removable panniers cost more than I can afford right now and the baskets are cheap.

Lionel Hutz, Esq.
    [double post]
    2007 Trek Fuel EX 8
    1999 Trek 7000 --- Dragonfly Green = Sexy
    2002 Trek 2100
    2008 Felt New Belgium Cruiser

Lionel Hutz, Esq.
    Quote Originally Posted by emtnate
    ^^ Because a nice set of removable panniers cost more than I can afford right now and the baskets are cheap.
    True, but you're paying more for a vastly superior product.

If you like making things, it might be worth your while to look at how a set of removable panniers are constructed and try to make a set on your own. I can't imagine that the cost of materials would be all that high. You'd get more bells and whistles buying new, but a canvas bag removable pannier with a velcro top would be pretty cool.

I mean, if you're going to make a product on your own, emulate a good product instead of cheap product.
    2007 Trek Fuel EX 8
    1999 Trek 7000 --- Dragonfly Green = Sexy
    2002 Trek 2100
    2008 Felt New Belgium Cruiser

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I've actually thought about making panniers. Canvas or cordura nylon by the yard is not cheap, but I think I could make (and have mom do the sewing) them for around $60. Coming up with the pattern is the tough part.

The baskets do have an appeal, especially with riding to work and their supposed ability to hold a grocery bag. Just looking them online, I am skeptical they could hold much weight. Fungazi's comment makes me wonder about them.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Through 3rd hand experience I have heard that they can hold about 20lbs each. I do not know about the rattle when folded. Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    I got a pair off Craigslist for $10! They werre attached to a Schwinn rack. I sold the rack for $10 on CL, so the baskets came out to be FREE! I was really surprised that someone bought the Schwinn rack, didn't think it would sell, but it did. I went on Ebay to see if there were any like it. There were a couple and they were going for more than $10. I just stuck with my price, and sold it to the first person who wanted it. I mainly wanted the baskets anyway.

Haven't used them yet, still looking for a commuter/grocery-getter to put them on. I will hook them up to an Old Man Mountain Red Rocks. One thing about the baskets is that they are heavy, over 2 lbs each, if I recall. What I like about them other than that they fold away is that a regular paper grocery bag fits perfectly in them.