Moderator Moderator

Video Detection May Replace Electromagnetic Traffic Sensors at Signals

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Several of the traffic lights on my commute use video detection. They are able to detect me just fine. The city I work in is great about making sure bikes can be detected by the loops embedded in the pavement. They use a bicycle wheel mounted on a board to tune the loops and they paint a white "X" on the pavement to show you where to put your wheel to trigger the light. I wish all the cities in the area would do the same.

weirdo
    I hear the video monitors are a lot easier to deal with than colis. Hope that`s the wave of the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    The city I work in is great about making sure bikes can be detected by the loops embedded in the pavement. They use a bicycle wheel mounted on a board to tune the loops and they paint a white "X" on the pavement to show you where to put your wheel to trigger the light.
    Niiice
    I called our public works dept when they resealed the road in an intersection where I sometimes have to trigger a left turn light. I used to be able to trigger that particular light pretty easily, but can no longer see where the coil was after the reseal, so I`m trying to hit tiny a target blindfolded, usually end up having to cross my fingers run the light. I asked for a painted mark to indicate the sensor`s location, and the guy on the phone gave me a bunch of hokey pokey about federal marking guidelines that prohibit those marks. I think he`s full of manure since I`ve seen pics of the kind of markings in question. Such a simple fix...
    Recalculating....

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Here is a mark from the intersection in front of my office. When they repave or restripe I notice that they are changing the marking from the "X" to a bicycle graphic with little stripes to show where to put your wheel. I come across many cyclist who don't know what the marks mean and will sit at intersections with their wheel in the wrong spot until a car rolls up to trigger the light for them.

Rodar, if it were me I would bring my own spray paint, figure out where the sweet spot is and then mark it!

weirdo
    Dateline Reno:
    "Midnight Marker strikes Buck Ave at Lemmon Drive"

Haha, sounds like fun! If I had enough patience to stand around in the intersection for long enough to locate it, I`d probably give that a shot

Related- about a year ago I stumbled onto a video put out by a bunch of students from a tech school in Guadalajara, JAL. They were fed up with the local government`s nonaction in striping bike lanes on a few key routes, so they got a crew together and marked about 1 KM worth of homebrewed bike lane. Nice ammateur documentary of it on Youtube that I tried to dig up for a linkie, but can`t find again.
    Recalculating....