mtbr member
    Aug 2008

New question here. V-brake pad question...which ones work best?

I also posted this over in the brake forum but almost everyone there runs disk brakes. I figured in the commuting forum there would be other people running rim brakes that might have valuable contributions.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

--------------------------------

I finally have a V-brake setup that works with my narrow rims and I'm pretty happy with them. However, I'm still not completely satisfied with my braking. The problem is that my rims have a hard anodized surface that has become glazed over years of use.

When I had my cantilevers, only the corners of the pads touched the narrow rims but if I really horsed on the levers the KoolStop reds would scream and chatter but I would stop on a dime. Often, a panic stop like this would result in the pads being twisted out of alignment requiring readjustment.

Quick stops are important because I commute 25 miles a day on this bike. I've already had one close call since installing the V-brakes and frankly, I found myself wishing the braking was more sudden and aggressive. Basically, I'm looking for relatively grabby brakes. I should also mention that I will also be riding in the rain.

BTW...I'm not worried about rim wear because the anodizing is insanely tough. I've tried various abrasives to remove it or rough it up and nothing touches it.

So what's the consensus among riders here? Kool Stop (gray, red, salmon, black?), Shimano, Avid, Aztec...etc.

Thanks all!

M_S
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Kool stop blacks are my favorites in all but the wettest weather. Then I like the salmons. My experience with the reds is not good. Avid pads suck. Aztec are okay, but kool stops are better.

But mostly it sounds like you need better rims.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I grabbed some dual compound (black/salmon) "BMX" Kool Stops today. They are identical to the "MTB". They scream like Kool Stops always do but they stop like nobody's business.

M_S
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Angle them in a bit and they won't squeal as much. I don't find kool stops to be any noisier than avids, etcetera.

PM Me for Wood Fenders
    Another vote for Kool Stops, just changed out to the fish today
    The wood is being bent! Let me know what you need!

knock-knock...
    +1 to the black kool stops

knock-knock...
    +1 to the black kool stops