Ovaries on the Outside

Utility? Post pics!

I think about any bike can be used for commuting. Using a bike to get a case of beer means I am going to need a bike with special equipment. I'm currently looking for a front basket, but my road bars are too narrow for most of the taller ones and the shallow baskets clamp to the handlebar are not as low as I would like.

So... I'd love to see some utility oriented set ups, especially with front racks/baskets and where the equipment was found. Thanks...

Dinner for wolves

The Schwinnebago

2410618251_bb0204f7b8.jpeg
    My dad's old schwinn 3 spd still gets plenty of use. The extra-size basket is perfect for picking up a stack of small pizzas and a growler of beer from my local brew-pub. The ergonomics are spot-on for urban utility. I don't use the car to pick-up take-out anymore thanks to the 'bago.

LCI #1853
    I have two that I use on a regular basis... the first one is a Specialized/Globe City 7 that's got the full city setup -- hub generator lights, fenders, etc. ... this is my "Yehuda" since it's so much like the fabled Van Swearingen...

I had panniers on when I took this picture, for bigger stuff I'll zip tie a milk crate to the back rack.

While I love Yehuda here, I wanted a bike that I could use on club rides, as a little faster commuter, and general utility bike, and still handle the cow paths that they call roads in Arkansas. So, while the 2008 prices were still in effect, I got a Surly Cross-Check. This is pretty much a stock CC, with the exception that I added a Delta cargo rack, Brooks saddle, and my commuting lights and a bell:

The CC shares the panniers and rack trunk setup that I use with the Specialized, and I can add on the milk crates if I need to haul more from time to time.

Tom

mtbr member
    Not my bike, but I was impressed when I came across the image. It reminds me of a tractor-trailer rig.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_CZsCz8TV6_.../transport.jpg