mtbr member
    May 2014

Using commuter to tow another bike

Have any of you attached a bike rack to a bike trailer and hauled another bike around? I'm building up a single speed mtn bike, and am thinking of toting it around on a B.O.B trailer with my commuter bike...seems like it would be pretty straight forward. The commuter would be much faster getting to the trails

Moderator Moderator
    It won't fit just strapped to the BOB, maybe with the front wheel off? Or maybe a fork mount (like people use in a pickup) instead of a whole bike rack?

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I was thinking a fork mount with the rear wheel mounted above the BOB fender somehow. Maybe attach the rear wheel on one of the racks that are made to go over the BOB trailers wheel.

mtbr member
    I've got no help for you on the towing issues, but you could also think about a dinglespeed. I've got two of them, for exactly that reason.

I've got one traditional dinglespeed, with 2 chainrings and 2 cogs. As long as the toothcount is the same then the chainlength is the same. So I've got 42&16=58 and 38&20=58. And that gives me a real road vs trail gear, because it's 70 gearinches vs about 50.

And another bike I'd been riding as ss for 4 years, but this year I had to admit that it's just a little too spinny for the commute, so I stuck a second cog on. I'm using a 16 and an 18, which isn't a huge gap, but it's definitely an improvement. The difference in chainlength is under 0.5", so I just slide the wheel forward or back. It wouldn't work with an eccentric hub or bb, but it's fine for sliders, trackends or horizontal dropouts. This way sacrifices chainline a bit, but I haven't had any problems.

why not attach a fork mount to the rack on your commuter, and bungee the front wheel of the mtb down?

I have thought about doing this for my commuter just for giggles, mostly.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by JayboFett View Post
    Have any of you attached a bike rack to a bike trailer and hauled another bike around? I'm building up a single speed mtn bike, and am thinking of toting it around on a B.O.B trailer with my commuter bike...seems like it would be pretty straight forward. The commuter would be much faster getting to the trails
    I have never towed a bike around berhind another bike....

But if you want to get there quick buy a set of crossmark tires and a pump...

Get the tires hard for the road and siften them for the trail and pump back up and go...

I did a lot of this training for the trans rockies....works great and actually a gas station was just about in the right place to get a free quick pump up...

Need a FS with no pedal bob though or hard tail....with the dingle.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    wrong type of "bike" but anything's doable.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Using commuter to tow another bike-corsaircargo.jpg  

If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

meh... whatever
    found this using the google machine:

"Knowledge is good." ~ Emil Faber

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by JayboFett View Post
    The commuter would be much faster getting to the trails
    I wouldn't be so sure. My 15-mile commute is BARELY faster on a geared bike than my SS mountain bike (thought I do turn a pretty tall gear on that mountain bike).