mtbr member

Upgade DB Sorrento for commuting

So my wife and I are moving back to the states, and find ourselves in a predicament with transportation. We are moving to Beale AFB, C I will be on shift work, while she will be on days, so we need two vehicles. Two cars are out of budget for the time being. I have mapped out how far home to work is and it roughly 4-5 miles. Perfect for a bike ride!

I want to upgrade my Diamondback Sorrento, to be more road/commute friendly. Right off the bat I need to upgrade the whole drive train, from the cassette to the chain, to the crank, etc... The Okinawan weather has taken it's toll the most on these parts of my bike. I also know I need to upgrade my rims and tires to a less heavy/ knobby combination. The problem is I don't know where to start. Any suggestions?
    Thanks

Aaron

BIG and Bald
    Check into the Specialized Crosstrail. I think you might be pleasantly surprised. The rims are pretty stout and Borough tires are the bomb. I love mine on my Tricross. Upgrading a bike is always fun but sometimes buying a new bike is "more funner". If you're not picky on whether you have disc brakes or not, the Elite version is only $720 plus you get the warranty and free tune-ups.

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkM...=38463&eid=125 "click on USA"
    [SIZE="2"][SIZE="3"]Eat to Live[/SIZE][/SIZE]...[SIZE="3"]not the other way around[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    If you're into it, go with a single speed or fixed gear. They handle harsh weather conditions a lot better than geared bikes, plus you can replace the drivetrain for a lot less. IRO Rob Roy would be a good start.