Ultimate winter commuter

Printable View

• 12-27-2012
    likes_to_roam
    Ultimate winter commuter
    What would you pay for this bike? Here is the ad:

Since I switched to an Ogre as my all around trekking bike, I had this extra Karate Monkey frame set just lying around...what to do?

Build a dream bike and sell it, hopefully! This bike was built to handle the worst
    cold/warm/freezing conditions that the Kenai Peninsula area has to offer.
    Ride it, leave it, repeat.

No derailleurs, sealed bearing everything, cable freezing- not goina happen. Yeah the nuvinci has cables, but they are dual pull (as you pull one, it pulls the other, not the derailleur spring).

Everything is brand new, except the frame, headset, bars, grips, tires. I am fighting every second to not ride this bike.

Ride without fear of having bought a lemon, I am a certified bicycle mechanic from the United Bicycle Institute, and I'ze got papers to prove it.

*New Parts*

*Rims: P35 Velocity Blunt 36h *Front Hub: Surly Ultra New 6bolt disc
    *Rear Hub: Nuvinci n360 CVP 18t cog * Brakes: Elixir 3 Hydraulic disc calipers & levers

*Crank Set: Surly Mr. Whirly 175mm Singlespeed 33t w/Bottom Bracket
    *Chain: 45North Willful Neglect Rust Resistant 8 speed *Seat Post: Ritchey Pro 350mm

*Stem: Salsa 31.8 120mm 75/105d

*Used Parts*

*Tires: Nokian Gazza Extremes 294 carbide studs 29x2.1
    Used only last winter approx. 200 miles

*Handle Bars & Grips: random un-marked from my stash *Head Set: Cane Creek S-1

*Frame Set: Surly Karate Monkey 20" *******The frame has one issue, which may or may not bother you. It was hard to find a proper rack for this frame when it came out, disc brake calipers obstruct the rack eyelets, so you had to use spacers. Spacers added too much leverage on the eyelets and one ripped off. This can be welded back on without damaging the frame, but they are not at all necessary. Today something like the Old Man Mountain rack is prescribed- oldmanmountain.com. As for all the black tape, it is/was there to prevent cable rub/chainslap/ski blade slicing/etc..

Get up close, check out this video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5K3QFWGuLPI[/url]

*NOT included*- saddle, pedals