mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Tweaking the Bumvee

Did some tweaking on the bicycle utility motorized vehicle today.

First on the agenda was reworking the front end. The 26" wheel and cheap sus fork that were on the bike was not the best it could be, kind of had a vague felling to it. I thought about putting on a fatter tire but didn't have a wider fender so I put an old 700c fork and wheel with a 45c Conti Goliath on that I had in stock and swapped out the stem with a nos Flexstem that I got a number of years ago off fleabay for a buck plus some shipping. I actually had a couple other 1 1/8" quill stems to choose from but it worked out the best. Swapped out the bars while I was at it with a set of Ritchey's from the parts pile. The end result is a much more stable front end and no loss of comfort that I can tell.
    DSC00829.JPG

Then I got crazy with an old headbadge from my collection,
    DSC00831.JPG

So now it looks like this to oncoming traffic.
    DSC00833.JPG

And like this from the rear with a few goodies on board.
    DSC00834.JPG

Doing errands with this is literally a gas. Went by the bike shop today to get a steerer tube chopped and a star fangled nut installed, hit the hardware store and another bike shop and never broke a sweat and pedaled the whole way averaging probably 25 mph. The boys at the bike shop were pretty wowed by the Bumvee and had to take parking lot test drives. I have yet to see anyone come back from a ride without a grin on their face.
    Last edited by MABman; 10-23-2008 at 10:15 PM.
    The future is not google-able. William Gibson

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Wow that looks so amazing.Is the frame custom or from an old tandem bike, and did you build the bed yourself? Overall, looks very nice!!

mtbr member
    Gonna have to see more pictures of the drive train, because from what I see it's freaking me out. But in an "Oh my god that's so awesome" kind of way...
    "Only silence is your true origin."

I Ride for Donuts
    Is that a pull start rigged way up to the front?

That's freaking awesome.

I like it better with a rigid front end
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by |brake-out|
    Gonna have to see more pictures of the drive train, because from what I see it's freaking me out. But in an "Oh my god that's so awesome" kind of way...
    Ask and ye shall receive.
    P1010048.JPG
    Running these small displacement engines through some gears really makes them come alive. Starting out in 1st you can scoot right across the busiest intersection and then start working through the gears, six on this one. I am not happy though that I lack pedal resistance at the upper end and am going to work on that. Probably will need like a 60t chainring though

And yeah that is the pull cord up there where you can get at it. One pull does the trick 99% of the time after it is at all warm. There is a kill switch mounted right above it on the stem so that when you hit the bike path you can kill the engine and cruise below the radar and when you hit the open road again, brrrrrrrrrupppp.

Working on a tail pipe for it today because the exhaust spews a little on the rear wheel, not bad but also I think it will tone down the motor noise even more and it is already pretty darn quiet because it is just a 49cc 4 stroke. If it tones down the power a bit no biggy cause it will top out at about 35 already. Freaks folks out when you pull up beside them on the road and that adds a new element of being careful out there.

And in case you were wondering it gets about 200 mpg also and somewhere down the road hope to be running these engines on alcohol with a hho generator. While gas prices are conveniently going down at this time I really don't think that they will stay that way and besides, we really are in need of alternative forms of fuel especially those that are sustainable. For more on this read: Alcohol Can Be A Gas by David Blume
    Last edited by MABman; 10-24-2008 at 01:33 PM.

I Ride for Donuts
    Quote Originally Posted by MABman
    And yeah that is the pull cord up there where you can get at it. One pull does the trick 99% of the time after it is at all warm. There is a kill switch mounted right above it on the stem so that when you hit the bike path you can kill the engine and cruise below the radar and when you hit the open road again, brrrrrrrrrupppp.

Awesome. How much money do you have in the whole build (estimate)?
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    That is freakin awesome.

I could use something like that to get back and forth to school. Lots of mountains make a 12 mile ride kind of difficult.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy

Awesome. How much money do you have in the whole build (estimate)?
    I didn't build the bike actually, but I bought it from the guy who did. In his garage and lets say it changed hands for about what you might pay for that Jake the Snake you are looking for. The chap is a very handy fellow and not afraid to lay on the brass. The only new parts on the bike were the motor and gear reducer and a few bmx freewheels and some pillowblocks.

However I am involved in a project to make this type of bike more readily available in the near future. We are trying to get the frame done up right so that others can piece together their own versions out of parts in the pile, as this one relied heavily upon. Not everyone has the skills to whip out a bike frame but most can do the rest eh? We are doing some refinement of the drivetrain over this version also that will make the drivetrain even better.

But like everything else you could really add up the $$ building up one of these rigs. CVT hub, Schlumpf high speed drive, a good set of disc brakes, a modded engine ad infinium. And why stop there? Add an electric front hub with regen with an alternator off the gas feeding a battery and you can have a two wheel drive hybrid. The possibilities are not quite endless but after time I am sure most will unfold. Good thing they will carry weight well cause it will take a good lock to guard one.
    Last edited by MABman; 10-26-2008 at 09:36 AM.

...from parts unknown
    Sep 2006
    Cool! And definitely sets the frankenbike bar a tad higher.