Thread: Turboed out

blet drive

Cool-blue Rhythm Turboed out

The specialized turbo with racks and bags and an extra light is making light work of my commuting

Turboed out-speedplay.jpg
    Save a tree & wipe your butt with an owl.
    Thank your local Sierra Club.

mtbr member
    Personally I think this is where it's at:

Stealth Electric Bikes Canada | Bomber | Electric Mountain Bike | Electric Dirt Bike | Electric Motorbike - Stealth Electric Bikes Canada

I've actually seen someone riding one on the multi-use trails around here. Apparently it doesn't have a governor so it can do 50mph?

blet drive
    Dirt bike?

mtbr member
    This guy is apparently using it for a commuter (and possibly other stuff as well...although he was on the paved path, and I was on the singletrack next to it). I guess it doesn't matter that it weighs 125lbs if it's got a big enough electric motor on it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    So cool - how is it to ride?

Quote Originally Posted by JUNGLEKID5 View Post
    The specialized turbo with racks and bags and an extra light is making light work of my commuting

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	speedplay.JPG 
Views:	741 
Size:	169.5 KB 
ID:	833127

blet drive
    the ride over all is nice.. Iv been playing with the tire pressure to see how it can change the feel.

~ B A D A S S ~
    Congratulations to your new motorcycle.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

A God Without A Name
    Every fiber of my being tells me to hate this bimotorcycle. but part of me kinda wants it.

If it was not the price of a Miata and a couple surlys. I might even be willing to buy it.

If.

Natural Born Killer
    I have to pedal my bicycle...
    Quote Originally Posted by Skrufryder View Post
    Silly rabbit Jack Daniel drinking donkey kissing caterpiller

Specialized brought a truckload of their most expensive bikes to a big event where I was helping the local mtb club show beginners around our beginner loop. I kept seeing those whiz by on the road on the way to the trail. I'm thinking about giving one a test ride tomorrow at the event.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by car bone View Post
    Congratulations to your new motorcycle.
    +1 !

That thing is hideous!

Unhinged Aussie on a 29er
    Sweet ride!! How's the ride without the pedal assist?

I test rode a Stromer ST1 recently, speed limited to 20 mph as per Washington state laws. One of the owners recognized me and said I was a strong rider to his friend. I've always been interested in how these perform when the battery goes flat, so I asked if I could take it for a spin.

I said I wanted to see what it was like without the pedal assist, and took the bike for a spin, got it up to 21 mph, was having a pretty good time, much to the surprise of the owners. He didn't tell me, but he'd set it to the highest recharge mode, so it was taking power from the pedals and putting in the battery. Honestly, between my regular ride and the Stromer on recharge mode (or even without recharge mode), I didn't notice much of a difference!! Between my regular ride and the Stromer, it was 10 lbs heavier, the weight was all centered over the downtube, and it cornered like crap. He did have eBike tires on the bike though, whereas I had heavier tires.

I've heard a lot of horror stories about riding these bikes without assist, but honestly I think modern motors are much better and you can't tell as much of a difference, other than the weight.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter006 View Post
    Sweet ride!! How's the ride without the pedal assist?

I test rode a Stromer ST1 recently, speed limited to 20 mph as per Washington state laws. One of the owners recognized me and said I was a strong rider to his friend. I've always been interested in how these perform when the battery goes flat, so I asked if I could take it for a spin.

I said I wanted to see what it was like without the pedal assist, and took the bike for a spin, got it up to 21 mph, was having a pretty good time, much to the surprise of the owners. He didn't tell me, but he'd set it to the highest recharge mode, so it was taking power from the pedals and putting in the battery. Honestly, between my regular ride and the Stromer on recharge mode (or even without recharge mode), I didn't notice much of a difference!! Between my regular ride and the Stromer, it was 10 lbs heavier, the weight was all centered over the downtube, and it cornered like crap. He did have eBike tires on the bike though, whereas I had heavier tires.

I've heard a lot of horror stories about riding these bikes without assist, but honestly I think modern motors are much better and you can't tell as much of a difference, other than the weight.
    "eBike tires"? They have specific tires? Why? What are they?

blet drive
    Quote Originally Posted by nemhed View Post
    I have to pedal my bicycle...
    You have to pedal this one to

A God Without A Name
    Quote Originally Posted by JUNGLEKID5 View Post
    You have to pedal this one to
    We all have different tastes. for the money I'd not own one. But If you can spend that much without suffering and it makes you grin, It's not fair of us to judge.

Ride what makes you happy. Unless it's from Wal-Mart.

Unhinged Aussie on a 29er
    Quote Originally Posted by Medic Zero View Post
    "eBike tires"? They have specific tires? Why? What are they?
    Example: E-Bikes | Schwalbe North America

Typically they're rated for higher speed and better rolling resistance irrespective of weight, but occasionally they'll throw away the puncture resistant lining for a more supple, softer tire.

Why: German law requires they have tires specifically rated for 50 km/h. Yes, I know, we typically go much faster than that... but they're the Germans, they like to regulate lots of weird things.
    What are they: They previously had a Big Apple that was super supple on there without any puncture protection, it's gone now... the tires I rode were the Energizer tires.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter006 View Post
    Example: E-Bikes | Schwalbe North America

Typically they're rated for higher speed and better rolling resistance irrespective of weight, but occasionally they'll throw away the puncture resistant lining for a more supple, softer tire.

Why: German law requires they have tires specifically rated for 50 km/h. Yes, I know, we typically go much faster than that... but they're the Germans, they like to regulate lots of weird things.
    What are they: They previously had a Big Apple that was super supple on there without any puncture protection, it's gone now... the tires I rode were the Energizer tires.
    Interesting! I had no idea!

Thanks for sharing!

A God Without A Name
    Oh god. I have those big apples. Amazing handling tires at any pressure, but about a protective as a kleenex.