mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Tubus ergo, surly nice front rack or old man mountain ultimate low rider?

Tubus ergo, surly nice front rack or old man mountain ultimate low rider?

I can't decide on which on to go with. Part of me wants to settle on the tubus since it's relatively cheap.

The old man mountain has a better design in that the upper bars are able to be always level to the ground. But it costs a ton. But the customer service behind it is the best. I doubt I would be able to over weight it for my needs. The only problem with it is that it's about $60 more than the tubus after shipping.

And the surly has that highest weight capacity, but is damned heavy itself. Nice that it has that top plate though while still being a low rider.

weirdo
    From your other thread, I think a front rack of some sort will work out well for you, though I don`t see what common thread prompted you to ask about these three specific (and very different) models. I haven`t used any commercially sold front rack, but have two more suggestions to consider (just to muddy your water a little more )

A short rear rack can also be mounted in front.
    Jandd makes a front pannier rack with platform on top that`s less expensive than the Nice Rack and (I think) lighter.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    From your other thread, I think a front rack of some sort will work out well for you, though I don`t see what common thread prompted you to ask about these three specific (and very different) models. I haven`t used any commercially sold front rack, but have two more suggestions to consider (just to muddy your water a little more )

A short rear rack can also be mounted in front.
    Jandd makes a front pannier rack with platform on top that`s less expensive than the Nice Rack and (I think) lighter.
    I think it was the cost that prompted me to do it, that and my loyalty to US made stuff. I really want the OMM, but it costs so much and the tubus is probably strong enough, but you never know when you may overload it.

Quote Originally Posted by aBicycle View Post
    I think it was the cost that prompted me to do it, that and my loyalty to US made stuff. I really want the OMM, but it costs so much and the tubus is probably strong enough, but you never know when you may overload it.
    I dunno, dude. Unless it was for a cargo bike, I wouldn't really be thinking about overloading my bike racks. On my commuter, I went with an aluminum rack in spite of the lower weight capacity compared to the steel version of the same rack because I didn't want the bike to be too heavy. On my commuter, I want it to be light enough to be a relatively easy pedal and efficient for getting around.

It's my sedan, not my pickup truck.

How much do you really intend to be hauling with this thing?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    I dunno, dude. Unless it was for a cargo bike, I wouldn't really be thinking about overloading my bike racks. On my commuter, I went with an aluminum rack in spite of the lower weight capacity compared to the steel version of the same rack because I didn't want the bike to be too heavy. On my commuter, I want it to be light enough to be a relatively easy pedal and efficient for getting around.

It's my sedan, not my pickup truck.

How much do you really intend to be hauling with this thing?
    Probably 50lbs displaced over the front and rear. That would be a once every week or two sorta thing. One time I did around 80 just on the rear. That was before I had enough sense to realize stuff weighs more than I thought.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by aBicycle View Post
    One time I did around 80 just on the rear. That was before I had enough sense to realize stuff weighs more than I thought.
    Haha! Was that a load of groceries any chance? I`ve brought up the amazing weight of groceries a few times here on the forum. Really, how the heck can they be so damned heavy!?! And I don`t even buy canned goods other than a little tomato sauce.

I give extra consideration for US made stuff too (happy to say I just tracked down a new pair of shoes that claim 70+ % domestic mfg, which I previously thought was impossible). Isn`t the OMM the only US built model in your short list, though? I think Nate is right that it`s unlikely you`ll overload any reasonably well built rack, but I`m sure all those on your list will be just dandy as long as you`ve got the cash to swing it. If you end up thinking Tubus, I heartilly recommend Wayne at thetouringstore.com for a source.
    Recalculating....