I got nothin'

Tubeless Touring Tires

Anyone used a touring tire set up as tubeless on your commuter? I did some Googlin' and didn't turn up much. Seems the only TLR tires are for MTB and road racing.

I have some Stan's Arches and I am thinking about mounting something in the 32 to 35 mm range for commuting and light touring. Just have to find something that would work.
    I ride at ludicrous speed

I Ride for Donuts
    I rode Schwalbe Big Apples set up "ghetto" tubeless on my commuter bike for 2 years commuting, and for one 7-day trip down the Oregon Coast ...got 5k miles out of those tires. They were awesome tubeless, and set up really easily with no seepage. I eventually got a nail hole in one that the goo wouldn't seal, so I put a tube in it and rode it for another several hundred miles before replacing... I think that puncture happened on the Oregon trip actually, but the tires had over 4k miles on them before I took them on that trip.

...all that to say, I'd think the Marathon's or something similar by Schwalbe would be very solid set up tubeless.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    I have been running the Hutchison Intensives for a couple months and love them. They are 25cc, but the ride is so much smoother and with the ability to run a lower psi, you may not need the wider (32 or 35) tires.
    Are we putting air in the tires today?

I got nothin'
    CB, I was thinking some Schwalbes might be the tires to look at. Although the MTB tires that they made before changing to the TLR ones weeped and were tough to seal up from what I understand. Just wondering if it might be the same issue with the touring tires.

EBrider, I was looking at those. I wonder how a 25mm tire would do with light touring or a load with panniers. Too bad they wasn't a 32 versions.
    I ride at ludicrous speed

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hydrogeek View Post
    EBrider, I was looking at those. I wonder how a 25mm tire would do with light touring or a load with panniers. Too bad they wasn't a 32 versions.
    I would guess pretty well given my experience with them so far. It would be an expensive experiment though, so it would be better to hear from someone that has tried if first.
    Are we putting air in the tires today?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    In case anyone is looking for similar info, I had very good experience with various tyres in 700 x 28-38mm (Kojaks 35mm, Paselas 38mm, Jack Browns 33.33, Vittoria Hypers 37mm) tubeless on ZTR355 and Flow rims, all up to 60PSI.
    At the moment I'm running Continental Grand Prix MTB 28mm MTB tyres at 60PSI and 40PSI which spread to 32mm! on Flow rims. Lovely ride, no problems.

Can you run standard road and touring tyres tubeless? | Bartthebikeman
    www.bartthebikeman.wordpress.com
    fast 26" road bike, shaven Racing Ralphs as road tyres, homemade "Paul thumbies"...

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hutchinson has road tire/rim combo that is supposed to be good.