mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Tubeless road setup

I really like my mt bike tubeless set up. Looking into a commuter setup with road tubeless rims and tires. There are no 35 mm tires? It seems like the commuter/ urban/ touring crowd would be an ideal fit with tubeless. I know hutchinson makes a 28mm, need something wider. I can find a rim and have hubs, but would like a dedicated commuter tubeless tire, thoughts?

I haven't seen any at this point. You would think the extra reliability wrt punctures especially with a sealant would be an easy advantage for commute tires. I just haven't seen it yet.

You may have to try your hand at sealing up a set of "regular" puncture protection tires. It's certainly is easier with tubeless rims (I did it on my mtb the first time I tried tubeless).

Do that to bide your time until tubeless 30-40mm tires start showing up on the market.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I've been running some Schwalbe Marathon Mondial (folding) tires (700x40, they also make a 35) tubeless on Stans ArchEX rims for over a year now with excellent results:
    - DSCF1446

I find those tires work well on pavement and I like that I can roll over most anything with them. On my touring bike, I have some lighter Conti Cyclocross Speed tires with latex tubes and have had punctures in those, but none so far on the Mondials (knock on wood). I also used to run Marathons (27x1-1/4) on my touring bike with puncture strips and thornless tubes and I had at least one puncture with those. I ride about 50% pavement and 50% gravel/dirt on most of my rides.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Ok, some good thoughts. The other route is was thinking is some thing like a 29er x 2.0 on an existing 29er rim setup( velocity p-35's)

mtbr member
    What have you done to your commuter today? - Page 6

I'll second what 4Crawler had to say about Stan's rims. The link above shows a 700x35 Schwalbe on Stan's Arch rim. I've run a variety of 700x35 tires tubeless over the past few years with great success.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    What range of tire pressure are you running?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    I really like my mt bike tubeless set up. Looking into a commuter setup with road tubeless rims and tires. There are no 35 mm tires? It seems like the commuter/ urban/ touring crowd would be an ideal fit with tubeless. I know hutchinson makes a 28mm, need something wider. I can find a rim and have hubs, but would like a dedicated commuter tubeless tire, thoughts?
    schwalbe has a new tire, the marathon almotion also in tubeless setup.
    622 x 40 (28 x 1.5 or 700 x 38C)

Marathon Almotion | Schwalbe North America

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    What range of tire pressure are you running?
    I stick to Stan's recommended max of 45psi for narrower tires on the Arch. My rim is older and has a sticker listing the max pressures. I checked their site but couldn't find similar information to share. You can search their messageboard and find some max pressure info.

sheep in FOX clothing
    Staying below 50 PSI should be fine for most non-tubeless 700C tires set up with sealant .

Much above that is blow-off country without a tubeless bead, which restricts you to 23C road tires or kobby CX tires, and substantially ups the budget as well.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Tubeless road setup

Specialized renegades, you can still get by off road as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk