mtbr member
    Oct 2005

New question here. Tricks to make your bike safer then lock up...!?

My route, I'm installing as many "torx's" bolts as I can find/fit.

For example on the brakes.

And also "safety wire" the grips to make it more difficult to steal the levers/shifters, Yeah they can just take the whole stem/bar, but not if everything is "Torx's"

What tricks do you have..!?

I Ride for Donuts
    keep it inside
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    keep it inside

Yeah but sometimes is just not possible..

For example I build this "taxi" to take my little one to daycare/library etc where I don't have the luxury of inside parking, yes I build her with unattractive components (as much as possible) but still a pretty nice safe bike, and YES I have a biga^^ lock for it too. (as you can see on the handlebars)

I Ride for Donuts
    ^^ That's awesome. I have a very rural life... bike comes inside basically everywhere. I take it inside the grocery store and the bakery ladies watch it. I realize this is not normal
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    When I was in Barcelona last year I notice that all the locals put cable locks on their seats to keep people from stealing them:

That photo of your daughter on the back of your bike is pretty cool. You know you could just leave her on the bike while you run inside and that would probably be a pretty good theft deterrent

Of course your wife might think differently about that strategy...

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    When I was in Barcelona last year I notice that all the locals put cable locks on their seats to keep people from stealing them:

I already install Torx on the seat post clamp and the two bolts on the syncros post, hopefully it does not get stolen since i love that seatpost (yeah i need to find a cheaper post)

That photo of your daughter on the back of your bike is pretty cool. You know you could just leave her on the bike while you run inside and that would probably be a pretty good theft deterrent

Of course your wife might think differently about that strategy...
    Thanks, we are really lucky she likes to be in the bike so much..
    Last edited by patineto; 04-09-2013 at 02:08 PM.

mtbr member
    Torx are good to stop the quick grab artist. Someone staking out an area and who want your bits, will just buy the tools. I remember seeing QR seat and axle items with unique (triangular?) drives someplace. Velo-Orange? PeterWhite? Performance? Not sure. Anyplace that the bike is found predictably is a place where it can get singled out. Paint it to look rusty, and paint the drive train to look filthy can help, but the more educated thief will see through that. Baby seats and anything that make the bike look heavy and uncool should help. Meth heads aren't the brightest, though.

BrianMc

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    Torx are good to stop the quick grab artist. Someone staking out an area and who want your bits, will just buy the tools. I remember seeing QR seat and axle items with unique (triangular?) drives someplace. Velo-Orange? PeterWhite? Performance? Not sure.
    I used to have "gonzo mudslingers" with a octagonal pattern and a special ratchet, now I feel really bad that I sold them

Anyplace that the bike is found predictably is a place where it can get singled out. Paint it to look rusty, and paint the drive train to look filthy can help, but the more educated thief will see through that. Baby seats and anything that make the bike look heavy and uncool should help. Meth heads aren't the brightest, though.

BrianMc
    Salt Lake city where we live now is pretty safe (compare to San Francisco where we used to live) but I still want to protect the bike as much as possible, more than anything for peace of mind, just in case some dummy is hungry for bike stuff..

Flow like water
    Just a quick comment. Are you aware that the tamper-resistant torx are available through retailers like McMaster-Carr? These are torx screws with the little nub in the center of the recess. The same retailers also sell the tools to remove the tamper-resistant screws. One more hurdle for the morally-challenged thief of opportunity.
    "Head injuries are pretty high-consequence" - AndrwSwitch

mtbr member
    ^ Yeah, considering that 99% of multi-tools have a torx driver, I really don't see them being any more of a deterrent than hex bolts. Pinned, tamper-resistant heads would be the way to go, including VO Anti-theft Skewers

Is grip theft actually a thing? I know that someone from my building had her left grip stolen, and rode for months with just the bare bar. But she was a bit of a weirdo, and I always wondered if someone did it just to annoy her. But still, removing a non-locking grip takes a fair bit of effort.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by DavyRay View Post
    Just a quick comment. Are you aware that the tamper-resistant torx are available through retailers like McMaster-Carr? These are torx screws with the little nub in the center of the recess. The same retailers also sell the tools to remove the tamper-resistant screws. One more hurdle for the morally-challenged thief of opportunity.
    Yes I'm well aware of the existence of the fasteners (the volume require is just to high for my small needs) and also that the tools can be purchase almost anywhere like harbor freight, to me is just a deterrent so they go and pick on another bike or at least this one does not get kannibalize when we are at the movie theater or somewhere fun..

reading comprehension wat
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    ^ Yeah, considering that 99% of multi-tools have a torx driver, I really don't see them being any more of a deterrent than hex bolts. Pinned, tamper-resistant heads would be the way to go, including VO Anti-theft Skewers

Is grip theft actually a thing? I know that someone from my building had her left grip stolen, and rode for months with just the bare bar. But she was a bit of a weirdo, and I always wondered if someone did it just to annoy her. But still, removing a non-locking grip takes a fair bit of effort.
    I'm still looking for an affordable multi-tool that has a T25 bit. The ones that have it are usually $25+
    I like to jump to conclusions, oversimplify, gossip, and participate in popularity polls.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dv8xin View Post
    I'm still looking for an affordable multi-tool that has a T25 bit. The ones that have it are usually $25+
    That's funny, because the two multi-tools I've got are:

Filzer Filzer Mini 10 Multitool - Mountain Equipment Co-op. Free Shipping Available
    Filzer I-Tool Skin E1 Multi-Tool - Mountain Equipment Co-op. Free Shipping Available

I thought they were common, but maybe it's just a canadian thing, eh?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dv8xin View Post

I use this bondhus tools and I'm really happy with their quality and longevity..

weirdo
    But still, removing a non-locking grip takes a fair bit of effort.
    Do you use rubbing alcohol to remove and install them? it makes it easy- just dip a Q-tip in the alcohol, push or peel the grip back as far as you can (even if that`s just a little bit), dribble some alcohol in there, and start working the grip around, then dribble a few more drops when you get a nice start. It dries up completely and doesn`t damage anything.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    ^ taking a grip off in a shop or at home is easy enough. I was just surprised that this person actually had 1 grip stolen while her bike was parked at work or the grocery store or something. It's just seems like such a weird thing to do and an awful lot of effort - if you've got a multitool it'd quicker to just steal the entire handlebar.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    ^ taking a grip off in a shop or at home is easy enough. I was just surprised that this person actually had 1 grip stolen while her bike was parked at work or the grocery store or something. It's just seems like such a weird thing to do and an awful lot of effort -
    I wire the grips to make the task of taking the levers a little more difficult, every second count...

if you've got a multitool it'd quicker to just steal the entire handlebar.
    That is my main problem specially since I have a quill stem and I have no idea where to find a really long 8mm Torx bolts and welding/fabricating one together is a little to scary for my taste..

Human Test Subject
    I've heard of at least one guy here in Minneapolis who glues ball bearings into the allen wrench holes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Volsung View Post
    I've heard of at least one guy here in Minneapolis who glues ball bearings into the allen wrench holes.
    Old school trick, actually you can just use thick grease to hold the ball bearing down..

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012
    I'm sure this kind of thing can happen, but where do you live that you have to go to such extremes? Its actually kind of sad you have to go to such lengths.

I live in Omaha, Ne, and have never had to worry about this type of thing. Heck we have had large group rides with over 50 riders where most do not lock their bikes while out front of a bar. Given that, I always lock my bike while its unattended in a public place. I would be shocked if someone took the time to strip my bike of its components. I hope I'm never shocked this way.

Here is a photo of one of those rides:

Tricks to make your bike safer then lock up...!?-2013-01-19_15-02-41_264.jpg
    Last edited by p08757; 04-10-2013 at 09:18 AM. Reason: now with photo