mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Trans Send - What do ya think?

So, I just started commuting to work on my bike. Today was my first day actually. I enjoyed it. However, I did it on my mountain bike, a single speed full suspension Giant Anthem. I didn't change the gearing at all, just threw on a set of Michelin Country Rock Tires and rolled out.

My ride is just over 6.5 miles, and fairly hilly. I have no problems climbing the hills with the single speed (32x17 btw), but the big downhills and flats sucked. I topped out at over 40mph on some of the descents, but I can only pedal the bike up to about 18mph (and I can only maintain about 14mph).....I did a LOT of coasting lol.

Next weekend I'm picking up an older Trek mountain bike to use as a commuter. It's rigid, chromoly, already has a rack...and it's about 35lbs...but it has gears, which I've decided I want for commuting. In a few months I'd like to buy a nice new bike, and I'm thinking about the Giant Trans Send LX...only I plan on making a few modifications. I want to add some drop bars and a smaller seat (probably a WTB Speed V). I plan on going ahead and getting the bars and stuff now, as I want to use them on the Trek also.

The LBS has some of these bikes in stock and I was suprised at how light they were, especially considering the huge stock seat and the full fenders and rear rack. Anyone out there have any experience with these? I've done some searching but haven't found any reviews on them. But for the price, I think it's a good bike, especially considering the light weight and disc brakes (something I want for sure). Thanks for any advice!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    If you put drop bars on the bike you'll need long pull drop levers. Your choices are Tektro RL-520, Cane Creek Drop V, or Dia Comp 287V. I would get the Tektros as the Cane Creeks are 2x the cost and are the exact same thing. The Dia Comps are the most expensive and the least comfortable to most people's standards. I have the Tektros, they work fine. You'll also have to deal with putting on different shifters to be drop bar compatible. You'll probably best off getting the Bar Cons. New they're about $70. So swapping out the bars will be $20 for the bars, $10 for tape, $25 for levers, $70 for shifters, $20 for new cables and housing. So ~$145 to put drop bars on that bike. I would suggest going a different route and finding a bike that is setup how you want and spending $50 for a rack and fenders.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Giant Trans Send EX.

Just purchased a leftover Giant 2008 Trans Send EX model at a year end clearance price. Still $ 600 with tax.

This is an 8 speed internal hub bike. I purchased this to replace my Schwinn Sid 3 automatic 3 speed internal hub. The Giant is far superior. The Schwinn was killing me on up-hills. The Giant takes hills easily, if slow, using the granny gear. Very smooth shifting. High quality bike. Disc brakes really are smooth. Very comfortable grips.

The only complaint. The bike comes with a nice real maple wood rack. Too nice to cover up. After googling quite a few sites, I decided to order 2 giant briefcase panniers, through my Giant dealer. Cost was $ 90 for the pair, including tax and special order shipping charges. I didn't want to spend that much, but at least they have a custom look. Also, the way rack strap is positioned, appears awkward to securely hold other type packs.