Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: trailers...

mtbr member

trailers...

How many use trailers for things other then taking the kids/pets around?

What kind are you using?

mtbr member

trailers...

There's a handy man here in town that really blinged out a trailer and cruiser bike. I see it parked out in front of jobs and he seems to be doing well for himself, toting around those tools. We also have a sizable homeless population here, the vast majority of which get around by bike. Several of them use a child's trailer to carry around bags and belongings.

mtbr member
    I've thought of the kid trailer since in a studio apt and can collapse it down. My only real hang up is I can't see spending $100+ for 1. I have seen maybe 1 or 2 in thrift stores and they looked pretty ragged (sitting out in sun for years) by that point and not sure all the parts are there.

I've also thought about trying to build 1 but have no welding experience and would have to figure how to make it easy to collapse when not in use

mtbr member
    I live on my rig and have a custom YAk style trailer with a 20" tire. Running a rear rack on that as well. Lived on my bike just traveling since 2004, no, no kids. Just a bunch of outdoor Gucci.
    De oppresso liber

mtbr member
    Saw a medium sized dog in a Bob trailer in Quebec City last week. Here is a thread that may interest the OP:

Post Pics of your Cargo Trailers

I would like to buy a two-wheeled trailer for utility trips. I used a BOB years ago for trailwork and liked it on the trail, but it's not as easy to handle in urban environments and needing to stop/go and load/unload it. A two-wheeled trailer is much easier to handle.

I did this with a kid trailer one day at work (at a bike shop). A bike needed to be shipped via FedEx and I was designated to deliver it to the dropoff location, probably in part because I commuted by bike that day, had ridden 22mi on a singlespeed, and the guys at work wanted to laugh at my expense.

I grabbed a Burley from the sales floor, hooked it up behind the shop, and loaded up the bike box. The load was not especially well-balanced and it felt a little squirrely, but I couldn't push it forward much due to wheel interference of the bike. I really like Surly's cargo trailers.

Hauling a bike with a bike

mtbr member
    I wish I had an excuse to buy a trailer, always thought they were cool. I've seen the kid trailers all over craigslist for cheap.

mtbr member
    I've looked there to be seems like most people think too much of their trailer.

mtbr member

trailers...

Really? I can pick them up all day long in decent condition for 30-50 bucks, depending on brand and age. Now, trailer bikes on the other hand...

I Ride for Donuts
    I have a Burly for the kiddos and a Bob Yak. I see the Yak hanging there and I long to load it up again and leave the world behind for a few days, but those opportunites are few and far between lately. I prefer hauling a trailer to having heavy bags attached to the bike personally. Love the 1-wheel design of the Bob. It dissapears back there.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    yes, I may run across a few that are 25-50 but most are asking closer to 100 that includes the ones from walmart you can buy for 120-130

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Did someone say Trailer? Craigslist always has deals! Buying new gets expensive. One could spend hundreds of dollars on trailers. I have a few different versions, needed for the different stages in life as kids grow.

The Phat Chariot!

The Trail-A-Bike!

weirdo
    I have a BOB that rarely gets used any more because most of what I used to pull it for now gets covered with panniers. It`s still nice to have around though- handy for hauling cardboard or used oil for recycle, and I keep offering to loan it (with no success so far) to people who express intrest in weekend bike tours. Bottom line, they`re really nice to have, but kind of an overkill for most commuters. Are you sure you want to go that route?

Quote Originally Posted by JordyB View Post
    Man, that looks like a LOT of work!
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Was mostly thinking of using it for grocery runs, granted the store isn't that far and I can come up with a few other excuses not to get one. Was also thinking I could possibly find other uses for one. Mainly I'm in the position of shouldn't drive for a few reasons that could cause me to get a ticket and walking isn't going to be easy as I'm (hopefully) going to be able to walk here again soon.

Moderator Moderator
    Love the fat Chariot, Jordy. Super how they have ski attachments for those too. No kid here though. I like the idea of a trailer more than the actuality. Being 4 miles up a steep hill from any shopping, mower/snowblower gas, etc., and somewhat lazy, and typically using my car often enough to get groceries while I'm out with it, I don't think I'd use a trailer much. I try to keep the commute load down to a 1000cc backpack, so I definitely don't need a trailer for that.

mtbr member
    I'm fortunate here in that we are relatively flat, the only "hills" I have to pump is in and out of a canal I use going to/from work or if I end up around it when I just feel like riding around.

mtbr member
    The other idea I have is figure out a hitch to work with the shopping cart I have (the kind you sometimes see elderly people use)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Schwinn_Frontier View Post
    yes, I may run across a few that are 25-50 but most are asking closer to 100 that includes the ones from walmart you can buy for 120-130
    Paying $100 for a decent one that was 200+ isn't a bad deal at all. Most trailers don't get used more than a few times, they're usually owned by recreational hybrid cyclists and probably have no more than 100 miles on them. I wouldn't pay $100 for a big box store one that was $130 new though. BOB ones are nice because it's a reputable brand that you could probably resell at some point to a parent, whereas if you buy a cargo trailer like a Surly Trailer Bill/Ted, you'll be reselling it to a very small niche crowd. Of course if you plan on keeping it for many years to come, then that's not a concern.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I've a Carry Freedom Y-frame 2 wheel trailer.
    The Y-Frame bicycle trailer
    I bought it to tour with due to my Moulton bicycle not having enough carrying capacity for Australian conditions (especially water with re-supply sometimes many days apart).
    I've since built up a Surly Ogre but as I no longer drive, the trailer is handy with a 90 liter lidded tub on it for shopping duty.
    I'm about to build up a single wheel trail for water hauling duty in the outback.
    I've got a second Son28 dynamo hub and have spokes and rim on their way from Jensonusa and Bike24 (Germany).
    This trailer will be based on an Extra-wheel trailer but will be set up also as a charging unit to keep my camera gear and laptop charged up.
    My bikes dynamo hub is already kept busy with my gps and phone/lighting.
    Home

mtbr member
    how hard is it to get the hitch end that goes on the trailer separately? I know you can get the receiver part for the bike pretty easy since some people have multiple bikes. Just thinking that if one is cheap and easy enough to get, I could figure out how to build my own and use a preexisting attachment setup.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JordyB View Post
    Did someone say Trailer? Craigslist always has deals! Buying new gets expensive. One could spend hundreds of dollars on trailers. I have a few different versions, needed for the different stages in life as kids grow.

The Phat Chariot!

The Trail-A-Bike!
    JordyB, can I get the particulars on your Chariot? The tires and wheels are not stock are they? What size are they and manufacturer.

mtbr member
    Never mind. I did my research and found the info in your previous post.

mtbr member
    I found an old Pacific 2 kid trailer on Craigslist for $15. It was/is in pretty decent shape. I stripped all the fabric, seats, etc off it and started with a clean slate. I built a platform out of discarded pallet wood, mounted some bins and a PVC pipe frame. Then installed a battery box, a marine deep cycle battery, blinging LED lights, an amp/stereo and speakers.

I load it up with water bottles, bibles and signs that read "Free Water, Free Hugs, Free Bibles and Prayer". We go to all kinds of events around town with it. It's a pretty big hit.
    Phillipians 2:3-8 "...but (Christ) made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant..."

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I've got a BoB that frequently gets used for touring, hauling wood, trail building tools, grocery shopping, beer runs.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

trailers...

My bob. It has the rear rack installed so I can use panniers also in the back . That was the best money I ever spent. I've repacked the trailer and have made it fit even better .

Bill

trailers...-imageuploadedbytapatalk1382234594.466393.jpgtrailers...-imageuploadedbytapatalk1382234614.237910.jpgtrailers...-imageuploadedbytapatalk1382234631.972085.jpg

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast