blet drive

Traction any one

Has any one tried these? they look like they might be fun on a 26" commuter.
    Save a tree & wipe your butt with an owl.
    Thank your local Sierra Club.

mtbr member
    tried what?

blet drive

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    A little searching found this. Lame video, but you get the idea.

SlipNot Bicycle Snow Tire Chain Test - Nemo Blizzard Winter Storm 2013 - YouTube

blet drive
    Looks good

mtbr member
    For the cost though, why not just go with studs? I understand the fact that it's nice to be able to remove the chains when they're not needed, but where I'm at, once winter gets here, it stays. For 6, 7, 8 months. When I ran studs, I just ran them all winter long.

sheep in FOX clothing
    Maybe as an emergency mod at the office to get home when you gamble on slick tires and then get a freak snowstorm?

This has happened to me, and it was a bit of a white knuckle ride home.

But compared to actual winter tires, I'm not seeing any other advantages.

Where I am, they might make more sense than studs considering the removal aspect (snow here tends to come in discrete storms and usually melts in a week or so, with frequent thaw/refreeze events). The only problem I see is clearance with fenders. Especially considering that they don't seem to have a model designed for "narrow" tires less than 29x1.9".

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    My tires are too narrow for anything they sell, but I'd order them today if:
    1. They fit.
    2. They had anything to improve side to side grip, other than the texture of the chain.

As with Nate my snow tends to come in bursts and the way is clear most of the time. It's keeping me from putting studded snows on my ride, because I know I'll need them for maybe a total of 2 weeks over the course of the winter and I don't want a tough, noisy, kind of expensive ride the rest of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanath View Post
    My tires are too narrow for anything they sell, but I'd order them today if:
    1. They fit.
    2. They had anything to improve side to side grip, other than the texture of the chain.

As with Nate my snow tends to come in bursts and the way is clear most of the time. It's keeping me from putting studded snows on my ride, because I know I'll need them for maybe a total of 2 weeks over the course of the winter and I don't want a tough, noisy, kind of expensive ride the rest of the time.
    a bit of chain or even something lighter (a stainless cable possibly?) running the length of the tire would work. maybe not down the centerline, but two bits towards the edge of the tire's tread pattern would probably do the trick. that's been the biggest reason I've not ridden much on the road this time of year. I had studded tires when I lived in MI, and the snow stuck around for a few months straight. they were worth it. Not sure I'd want to ride on studs for 3/4 of the winter or more on bare (but wet) pavement.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    For what it's worth, I emailed and they've apparently got a 700C version that's not on the website. Anybody have any thoughts on horizontal stability? Can't be any worse than it is now I suppose.

blet drive
    Awsome

mtbr member
    Maybe:

Bike Safer this Winter with DIY Tire Chains

DIY Weekend: Zippy zip-tie bike tire snow chains | Crave - CNET

MtnBikeRiders.com Blog Archive DIY Tire Chains

Not sure I'd want to spend the time before leaving work, though. The Zip ties by themselves would be quick.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    This is starting to look like a pretty dandy occasional-snow option. I don't think I'd want to use it on my regular tires though, maybe a cheap pair from Nashbar or similar.

edit: Hey look what I found.
    Last edited by Sanath; 12-06-2013 at 09:15 PM.

blet drive
    thanks

mtbr member
    On the Front (st)Range, snow and ice is hardly a problem. I just drop 5-10 psi from my tires and keep momentum high when the streets are snow packed. Also, a tire with side knobs helps greatly.

Remember, when it's snow packed/icy don't fight the front end when it starts to slide. Shift weight back, don't touch the brakes (rear only if you really need to) and keep your pedal cadence smooth. When turning keep the bike upright and lean the body into the turn, squaring the turn off. Further, apply pressure down on the outside crank when going through turns. As soon as you're through the apex, apply power the straighten the squared corner out.

I Ride for Donuts
    Anything seems like a pain now after a couple of winters with studded tires mounted on a separate wheelset. I can swap in one minute and be on my way. Went from the studs back to the regulars this morning since the bulk of the ice is gone from the last storm.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)