Fat-tired Roadie

Torker Interurban: anyone try one?

So I broke my frame on my way to school today. (Right after buying new handlebars for that bike, too! Dammit.)

The frame was made in the '80s, the drivetrain is pretty dated, the brakes suck, the wheels don't have a lot left in them... basically, I don't think I stand to save much or any money trying to cannibalize this bike to build a new one, between the inevitable compatibility stuff and the parts that I already know won't move over.

On my way home, I had a look at a Torker Interurban. It seems like a pretty cool bike, actually. It's got room for fenders, all the right little holes and bolts and things, and a basic 2x8 drivetrain. I think the hubs are garbage, but they always are.

Anyone own one? I have another place to look at bikes tomorrow, but I can have this one for $500 and I don't feel like I have time for messing around with Craig's List and fixing up something beat up right now.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    (Right after buying new handlebars for that bike, too! Dammit.)
    GRRR!
    Sorry to hear that, AS. At least now you get to shop for a replacement
    No idea about that Torker.

Fat-tired Roadie
    In keeping with my usual problem-solving methods, I was complaining about this everywhere I know friends watch. So I might be buying a used Trek Portland. For where I live (Seattle) it's pretty ideal. I think the only thing that might be weird is the hub.

Of course, shopping for a commuter can be kind of a pain. I ducked into two places on my way home (on foot.) At the first, I wanted to shake the guy and say, "I already have nice bikes. I'm looking for one to lock outside."

Moderator Moderator
    Geez,how did the frame break Andrw? Hope it was not exciting when it happened. Good luck with the replacement shopping. I don't know either one you're looking at.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Age, mostly. I was riding a mid-80s Raleigh. I always assumed that if it broke, it would debond at a lug. It's made out of aluminum tubing "thermally bonded" into steel lugs. But I broke the dropout on the right chainstay. I'm not sure what it's made out of, exactly. I'll have to look more closely. But sooner or later, everything breaks. I don't ride the bike down stairs, but I do ride it up and down curbs pretty routinely and I'm not as shy as some about rough streets.

I'm not sure if the break happened yesterday morning or maybe the day before, on my way home. Two days ago, I passed through one of the rough patches on my commute and thought I felt a flat tire. But, my tire was fine and I continued home. My commute always starts by riding through a weird little path between someone's house and the freeway. There was a guy walking his dog near the handicapped ramp I usually take, so I hopped a curb further on. I noticed I was getting a lot of clicking from the back end and things felt soft. Nope, tire's fine. I kept going. More clicking, and it seems to be happening every rotation at the pedals. I wonder what it could be? Also, the bike is not feeling quite right. It's twisting around... I looked at my rear derailleur, and noticed the whole dropout was moving around. So I stopped and sure enough, the dropout was broken.

I don't live too far from school, so I locked the bike and walked in. I wasn't even late! But the extra time I'd budgeted to buy a coffee disappeared, and I go places further away on occasion. I'm just not a patient enough person to make walking my primary mode of transportation.

For those who missed my recent thread, I tore the handlebar in half not too long ago riding this bike. I think the Bike Gods are telling me something - neither of these problems has hurt me, but the handlebar failure could have been very dangerous if it happened at a different time. Actually part of why I was tempted to start over with a new bike, but my friend's bike is a mid-2000s model, which should be the sweet spot for value right now, and it's basically the commuter I'd design if someone asked me to (pretty conventional road bike, but enough clearance for fenders and it has disc brakes.) I'm going to ride my 'cross bike to school for the next couple days, which makes me a little nervous. It's flashier, if actually a less expensive bike at retail than what my friend is offering me.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Bump. I ended up buying the Portland.

Post your commuter photos!
    (post 1388.)

A friend of mine could give it to me for less than the Interurban. While I've had to do some messing around to get it running nicely, I think it's new enough that I won't have to deal with some "old bike" problems for a while. I felt a little bad putting my rack and fenders on, and I put on some inner tube to try and protect the paint, because I found myself feeling bad leaning it against racks.

I've often felt a pang of jealousy when one of my friends gets a deal on a nice bike. Now I have, and it's nicer and fits better than my main road ride. If I hadn't had that bike so long, I might make it the commuter, but I'm too emotional a person for that.

that Portland looks like a fine bike. Looks like you had some fun with the rack on there. I'm in the process of putting a rack and fenders on my Pompetamine. The fenders required a few mods to get them to fit and my rack should arrive in the next couple of days. We'll see how it goes on. I'll post up some pics of how I get all that together when it's done. The fender mods came out nice if I do say so myself.

I try to avoid putting my commuter on racks when possible (for example, it comes into my office when I'm working), but I do put it out there when I stop at the store. Once I get the rack, I'll be putting a u-lock there for those occasions and doubling up on locks when I do have to lock it up.

Fat-tired Roadie
    One of the reasons it's taken me this long to get a nicer bike for commuting is that I lock my commuter outside constantly. It's on a rack outside at school for hours a day, and one of the things I love about using bikes as transportation is how good at running errands they are if things are just too far to walk - there's very little I can't ride to, and driving in my city sucks. And it's expensive anywhere. I did buy a second lock, though - it won't do anything about someone deciding they want my derailleur or my shifters or something, but at least I get a better shot at keeping my frame and wheels. There was a little part of me that wanted to turn down this bike, actually, because it is clearly a more expensive ride than a lot of the ones I see at school. But I see a few fairly pricey bikes there, and one of my friends has been riding in on an expensive one and doing okay. So, fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    One of the reasons it's taken me this long to get a nicer bike for commuting is that I lock my commuter outside constantly. It's on a rack outside at school for hours a day, and one of the things I love about using bikes as transportation is how good at running errands they are if things are just too far to walk - there's very little I can't ride to, and driving in my city sucks. And it's expensive anywhere. I did buy a second lock, though - it won't do anything about someone deciding they want my derailleur or my shifters or something, but at least I get a better shot at keeping my frame and wheels. There was a little part of me that wanted to turn down this bike, actually, because it is clearly a more expensive ride than a lot of the ones I see at school. But I see a few fairly pricey bikes there, and one of my friends has been riding in on an expensive one and doing okay. So, fingers crossed.
    I should be in the clear next to the Cervelo P3 on the rack outside my building that I see sometimes, but I agree...there's a particularly heinous walgoose with tt bars and quite a few other junkers that park there regularly. that's why I bring my bike inside. and I know several other folks with nicer bikes that bring them inside, too. a nice carbon Roubaix, a classic steel Bridgestone, and a few others. where the 2nd lock gives me an advantage is that most people I see here lock their bikes up poorly, not even securing the front wheel, let alone the rear. with a secure locking technique, my nice bike would still be 10x the hassle of messing with than even the rustiest POS on the rack.