Thread: Topeak MTX bags

jcard14
    Oct 2005

Topeak MTX bags

Anyone out there using the MTX rack and compatible bags? If so, how have they been. I am thinking of getting the biggest one with the side rack frame...think it is the TrunkBag DXP....thoughts on it? How much can you reasonably carry?

mtbr member
    I've been using that setup for the past 5-6 months and it works very well for me. There is not a ton of room in the "expandable" panniers but I carry my change of clothes on one side and shoes on the other. The main compartment is two sections and I easily carry my lunch, spare tube, multitool, lock, cell phone, and keys with room to spare.

My favorite feature is the sliding system: just pull up and lock the bike, slide the bag off and go. Oh, and that you can easily carry a six-pack on the way home. It is a very good value IMO.

Hope that helps.

Matt
    I'm here for the OT

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I have the topeak explorer os tube rack with lock mount and the large mtx dxp bag with panniers. I put a topeak rack on my wifes bike also, but she uses the smaller bag. The Dxp is a very sturdy thick well made bag and has tons of room. In the main compartment I carry a topeak road morph pump, tools, extra tube, and a towel and still have plenty of room left over. I have fit whole gallons of milk in the side panniers, as well as laptops and textbooks. Modernbike.com has the best prices on topeak bags and they will ship the same day you order. They are an actual bike shop in Iowa. The convenience of sliding the bag on and off and clicking it in place is incredible. You will wonder why anyone messes with straps and velcro after using one. The stay in place very well and they do not rattle or move either. They are a little pricey compared to other bags and racks but they are well worth it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I have been using the DXP w/ side panniers for about 2 years. The main compartment I use as my lunch box and since the extra zipper allows you to expand its size, I can stuff more in there. In the side panniers, one side carries my rain gear, tights and bike jacket. The other side is reserved for books or whatever else I need to take. I reserve the top section for my tubes, first aid kit and tools.

Overall, I am pleased with the bag. The only thing that bothered me was the trouble in finding the rain cover. REI and other bike shops don't sell it so you'll have to get one from Amazon or somewhere else online. The bag does the job well and the locking system on the rack is a great feature.