Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Top Commuting Tires for MTB

I am looking for "slicks" since 98% of my riding is of the on road or crushed limestone pathway. I am new to biking and now realize that maybe a road bike would have been a better choice but I am going to make due with what I have (Iron Horse Warrior 3.0).

I am a newb and was wondering if all I need is the new tire or if I need a new tube as well? Also is there a great place to buy these tires on the net? Finally, what it the typical psi to run my new tires at?

Bloody Bastard
    I'm running a pair of Continental Sport Contacts 26x1.6 with tubes rated from 1.5 to 1.9. All items purchased at my local REI. I've got the tires inflated to about 75 psi each. Great set of slicks. Zero problems.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Has anyone tried the Forte City ST MTB Tire? They are $7.99 each at Performance bike

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=5425

Or how about these Forten ST Cross with Kevlar for only $12.99

mtbr member
    I went cheap on slicks and never regretted it... Forte City ST 26x1.5" slicks on el cheapo sale at Performance Bike for $7.99 each.

I had a set on for 2 years gravel and pavement commuting in the Wash. DC area, until I bought a 'cross bike. Now these tires get used in the winter when the MTB is on the trainer. They seem to have a long lifespan in my hands... Plus I saved the big bucks for better knobbies.

Bloody Bastard
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe-Joe
    Has anyone tried the Forte City ST MTB Tire? They are $7.99 each at Performance bike

Go for it. If they turn out to be sh!t you're not out a lot of money. Or they may just turn out to be your best bang for buck. Why not give them a try?

FWIW, I have a pair of Forte FastTrac semi-slicks on my other set of wheels for when I hit the trails. Those tires are doing what they're supposed to do and I haven't had any problems with them. I also keep my Kenda knobbies on hand for when I have time for some serious mountain biking. But I'm hardly qualified to give any advice.

Known Mountainbiker
    Specialized use to make an awesome slick with kevlar and you could take it up to 110. Kenda KWest is a good one(two) too and can also be taken over 100psi. The more the pressure, the less resistance. I'm waiting on delivery for a set of the conti sport contacts(85psi and 480g) and I'm glad to hear they're liked. IMO, knobs on a road specific mtbcommuter is annoying. ie BZzzzzzZZZZZzzzzzZZZZzzzzZZZZzzzz etc etc

Can't wait till my shoulder heals, I'm getting sick of just hanging out in the commuter forum. UGH. (no offense)

Caz
    I am a Mountain Biker therefore I am late

BIG and Bald
    Joe-Joe

Isn't this your 2nd or 3rd post about this topic?

Anyways, like I recommended in the other thread, Specialized Crossroads.
    [SIZE="2"][SIZE="3"]Eat to Live[/SIZE][/SIZE]...[SIZE="3"]not the other way around[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I have used Serfas Drifters for over 3500 miles of commuting. they work great

mtbr member
    i use and recommend specialized nimbus 1.5 with the kevlar bead. i also run thorn resistent tubes with liners and have never flatted from anything except for one run in with a nail, and ive been commuting a 25 mile daily round trip for over a year now. the flat protection is a lil heavier, but its worth not ever getting a flat, especially when your commuting.
    by the way, SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL BIKE SHOP!!!!

dirtbag
    +1 for Kenda Kwests I run em at 100psi and they roll along smartly.
    Amolan

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by scaryguy137
    i use and recommend specialized nimbus 1.5 with the kevlar bead. i also run thorn resistent tubes with liners and have never flatted from anything except for one run in with a nail, and ive been commuting a 25 mile daily round trip for over a year now. the flat protection is a lil heavier, but its worth not ever getting a flat, especially when your commuting.
    by the way, SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL BIKE SHOP!!!!

bontrager inverts 1.5" .

Can you say Full XO #22.68 salsa moto rapido

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Panaracer Tserv 1.75. The puncture resistant lvl is high. Ran over bolts,nuts ,screw, rocks and all no problem. Rolling resistance is very mininum. Wearout lvl is low too. Clocking 800km and tread still looks quite new.

DB4L
    May 2008
    Hutchinson Pythons UST's don't forget the sealant! Very low rolling resistance, they can almost be mistaken as a slick.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

+1 on the Bontrager Inverts....

fast rolling, durable, and enough tread to keep you upright should things get wet. I've had slicks dump me on my butt to many times on rain slick road surfaces to ever use them again as a commuter tire. I use the 2.0's as opposed to salsamoto's 1.5's due to the lousy road conditions around my neck of the woods. But they work very well.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

is buachail foighneach me
    +2 for bontrager inverts. i've done alot of commting(in years past), touring, and even light mtb'ing on them. they roll fast and have enough traction for dry trails.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    i have a trek 3700 that's currently wearing some 2.0 trail connections (i think?). I have some 26"x 1 3/8" tires laying around however. think there would be any issue with rim fitment? need new tubes at least?

(i know this is off topic as hell)

is buachail foighneach me
    careful with the 26 x 1 3/8" tires. make sure they have a 559 bsd. it should say on the sidewall. i think 26 x 1 3/8 was one of the wierd proprietary schwinn sizes from back int he day.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by sean salach
    careful with the 26 x 1 3/8" tires. make sure they have a 559 bsd. it should say on the sidewall. i think 26 x 1 3/8 was one of the wierd proprietary schwinn sizes from back int he day.
    yes! theres actually 2 different types of 26" tires. one is slightly larger (the schwinn one), and these are the standard size.

the reason these are spares are because i had to special order the schwinn "26" when the regular ones didn't fit on a varsity my brother picked up.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Ok, last question. What are the pro's and cons of the width of the tires. Some road slicks like the Forte Fast City are 26x1.25 and some of you guys have talked about going with a 1.5 or a 1.75. Is the 1.25 too skinny? My current stock tires are the WTB Weirwolfs 26x2.1

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe-Joe
    Ok, last question. What are the pro's and cons of the width of the tires. Some road slicks like the Forte Fast City are 26x1.25 and some of you guys have talked about going with a 1.5 or a 1.75. Is the 1.25 too skinny? My current stock tires are the WTB Weirwolfs 26x2.1
    1.25?? U sure it will not stuck into drainage cover holes??? Unless yr ride is 100% on road. Seriously, I will not recommend for pracrical use.

weirdo
    Generally, wider = heavier, more rolling resistance, better weight bearing capacity, easier on your rims, cushier ride: narrower = lighter, easier to roll, rougher ride, bigger chance of pinch flats and dented rims.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    What is a good width? The tires had great reviews. Would a 1.25 ride better on the road than a 1.75?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Not sure I mentioned this but I am a clyde. Should I consider a 25x1.5 or maybe even a 1.75?

mtbr member
    I run a Specialized Nimbus 26 x 1.5 front, Panaracer Hi-Road on rear. Keep the pressure high.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I have the Specialized Fatboy 1.25's running 100psi

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast