Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Today's experience

Riding down the road minding my own. Traffic signal turns red as I am making my stop I see a window coming down on a car with very dark tinted windows. Gold teeth stick out and yell "What you wearing DAWG?" I reply "Smith and Wesson 9mm". Window could not go up fast enough. Ironic enough the same car and I approach the next signal and the window rolls down again and the guy sticks his head out again and says "sorry sir" In the other side of the car is who I assume is momma yelling "If you don't learn some respect, you gonna end up like the rest of those #%^#@!" The signal changes and the car speeds away. I think she lost it when she let the gold teeth in his mouth.

Anyone else carry while riding?
    2009 ASPECT 20
    2011 Rockhopper 29er

mtbr member
    Wow racist much bro?

mtbr member
    Nope just cant stand people who disrespect people. Especially when that person fought for their freedom to live in this country and people around the world.
    2009 ASPECT 20
    2011 Rockhopper 29er

mtbr member
    Someone said something to you. I thought you roadies were resilient.

Appreciate your service. But not if your a gun toting roadie nutjob.
    Who rides armed? really? Life scare ya that much?

mtbr member
    Not a roadie by any means. LMAO I have a beard that reach my chest and dont shave my body. I ride a mountain bike with fat knobby tires. I dont live in the sticks. I commute through 15 miles of illegal and migrants that inhabit our area illegally. I dont trust many. If that makes me a nut job so be it. Why dont you log in with your real account to troll?
    2009 ASPECT 20
    2011 Rockhopper 29er

mtbr member
    This is my account. Im new. I didnt realize this was your commute thread. Sorry for pooping here. I was just reading new posts and was planning on reading your experience today...you know I saw a squirrel and a deer. A car tried to kill me. But then it turned all kkk mixed with grizzly adams. I didnt mean to invade your mountain Mr Adams. (showshimself the door)

mtbr member
    Notice I quoted the person in the car. I did no name calling.
    2009 ASPECT 20
    2011 Rockhopper 29er

mtbr member

Re: Today's experience

Quote Originally Posted by Highlux View Post
    Wow racist much bro?
    Racist? I saw no mention of the race of this person in his post

mtbr member
    Put on your glasses then Mr magoo...underlying tones are pretty apparant to me.
    After conversing with Mr adams....I realize he's ok. Illegal immigrants are a whole dif story. I dont like people who are pretty much invisible to the system and pretty much do a major crime and sneak back home. He's trucking through a robbery zone.

And he had me at Mountain bike....and also beard. I suffer from beard envy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    This thread's going nowhere good, but I'll chime in to say I've occasionally wondered about carrying, because I have an overactive imagination, but I'm not sure what I'd do with it at work. I can't imagine my boss would be cool with just keeping a firearm in my desk drawer or something.

mtbr member
    ^^ "What you wearing DAWG?" I guess I am sheltered. A fashion question? I haven't a clue what that means. I'd look at my reflective vest and he'd get a big shrug from me, I guess. Maybe if I felt snarky, I'd say "Clothes!"

mtbr member
    May 2011
    M&P? Full? Compact? Subcompact? IWB? OWB? Harness? Concealed? Open? How's it feel while mashing on the pedals? How secure is it for when David Copperfield pulls a vanishing act with your bike? I'd hate to think of the potential of a S/A locked and cocked in a crash.

mtbr member
    Shield, tucked in my back with thunder wear. I have a locker at work where it is secured and locked.
    2009 ASPECT 20
    2011 Rockhopper 29er

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Never been a huge fan of SOB carry, but that doesn't really matter to anyone but me. Bummer no carry at work.

I Ride for Donuts
    If you saw the word "dawg" and "gold teeth" and assumed a race, that makes you a racist, not the OP.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

MC Hammer
    Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Rich View Post
    Yes. LCP/Pistolwear PT2

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Why are Americans so dang fearful? I say that based on fact given the number of guns and concealed carry down there.

Anyway, don't want to turn this into a firearms debate. We Canadians ride through many a rough neighbourhood without firearms, maybe we're just tougher in the North *big smilely, don't get your knickers in a twist*

mtbr member
    I live in and ride in bear country, in areas where folks have been savagely mauled by grizz and never, ever carry a gun. I ride through an area that is inhabited by numerous homeless folks, drug addicts, and have had one experience of finding a dead body along the trail. And I never, ever carry a gun. Edit: I do carry bear spray, though. But only some of the time. I tend to assess the risk potential of carrying vs not and most of the time I'll take my risks not carrying it.

Here's the deal, I'm glad it is my right to carry, but it really seems like you give someone a gun and their sense of proportion tends to go out the window. Example - OP's response to a question that doesn't appear to have any violent aspects to it is to state that he's packin' heat. Seems like a recipe to start a gun fight to me.

Whatever - to each his own. To be honest, I am more scared of the corporate overlords than I am about some random person doing violence to me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    ALWAYS, be prepared, ATGATT etc. Ruger LCP in a Desantis IWB. When not on the bike the LCP lives in a Desantis Superfly in my pocket. I have lots of guns, but that LCP is so light, concealable, and comfortable it has become by EDC. It helps that its a nice shooting reliable pistol as well.

The type of interaction described in the OP is quite common. Only normally momma don't give a damn or they are running wild on their own or worse. If you choose not to carry then I respect that, I wish you luck and hope you are never in a position to regret that choice, please respect my decision as well.

mtbr member
    Thanks. That is my motto as well. Do you carry extra tubes and some sort of inflation tool on your rides? I do I dont carry it because I need it. I carry because I might need it. The good ol 6 Ps.
    2009 ASPECT 20
    2011 Rockhopper 29er

mtbr member

Today's experience

Cajun: I'm always prepared for the situation, whatever it may be. Typically, it can be handled with my trusty SureFire or my Leatherman Wave

Tradere Scriptura Magister

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Yup, I carry lots of things just in case inside my pack. A pretty extensive first aid kit, emergency snacks, tube patch kit, a tire lever, frame pump, shock pump, extra clothing layer, bandana, and a tool/survival/macguyver kit (basically some good wire, gorilla tape, matches, multi-tool, knife, flint, water tabs, and pain pills) for anything else that comes along. I almost never need ANY of this stuff, but on the four or five occasions I've had the tools on hand to start a fire, fix a chain, make a splint, sew a wound shut, unlock my car, and fish a spaniel puppy out of a well, I was quite happy to lug around the extra one and a half pounds all that weighs. The LCP is just another tool. Three quick shots in succession is internationally recognized as a distress signal.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Rich View Post
    Riding down the road minding my own. Traffic signal turns red as I am making my stop I see a window coming down on a car with very dark tinted windows. Gold teeth stick out and yell "What you wearing DAWG?" I reply "Smith and Wesson 9mm". Window could not go up fast enough. Ironic enough the same car and I approach the next signal and the window rolls down again and the guy sticks his head out again and says "sorry sir" In the other side of the car is who I assume is momma yelling "If you don't learn some respect, you gonna end up like the rest of those #%^#@!" The signal changes and the car speeds away. I think she lost it when she let the gold teeth in his mouth.

Hey Cajun.....you be safe out there sir!!!!! Keep your head on a swivel and pedal hard!!!!!

Today's experience

Ignore Highlux. Dude got banned from some other forum for stirring **** up and he wants to push his limits here now.

Highlux, this is one of those forums that is very matter-of-fact. Your screwing around is not appreciated by the regulars.

If I was carrying (I have considered it), I would not be advertising it unless blatantly threatened. I also would have had some kind of super obvious response like "clothes" partly because my wit is not quick enough to think of something funny. Given enough time, I'd consider it like the boxers or briefs question and respond accordingly.

I have ridden through many poor areas but nowhere especially rough. Some cyclists here have been assaulted on a MUP in town, and one I know of was killed in one such rough area, however. So far, I have simply avoided the area but now that I have moved, it is hard to avoid if I want to ride to certain parts of town.

mtbr member
    Lets be honest if they think you have something they want they will try to take it no matter where your at. I have had people try to sell me crack while stopped at a red light. A friend and I were approached by a crew of homeless kids residing in a park (we learned later). They tried to ambush us with knives from the bushes. They picked the wrong fellers that day. Josh got stabbed, my left hand got broken and the only one of the five of them that walked away was the female. I am not afraid to fight but I know there is an easier and less painful way.
    2009 ASPECT 20
    2011 Rockhopper 29er

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast