mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Tires for varied terrain?

I've been looking at the Bruce Gordon tires, which look like they'd be very good in the caliche, gravel and powdery dirt, but would suck on pavement.

And I've been looking at the Schwalbe Mondial which don't look like they'd do well on either really.

Am I wrong about these two? Are there others to consider?

And yes, I really do ride on all of that in one ride. In about equal parts typically. There are no reasonable alternatives to this.

Moderator Moderator
    I have a different Schwalbe Marathon with treads that look like the Marathon Mondial, and it works fine on my dirt road and pavement. I have the 1.75" version. Caliche, I had to look up, so not sure about that, but I'd guess it could manage if you don't run it rock hard and the terrain isn't crazy.

I haven't ridden on caliche, so I can't comment on what works on that type of soil. But I do run CST Crucibles in 700x32 and have taken them on pavement, crushed limestone trail, and hardpack dirt with some roots and they do pretty well. They're too narrow for loose sand, but most tires suck in loose sand. I feel like they're pretty quick on pavement, too. They roll pretty well. On my 44mi commute on Sunday, I had them around 60psi. If I did it again, I'd run them a bit lower because there's a few miles where the road has a lot of patches that are pretty uncomfortable with pressures too high.

I Ride for Donuts
    Serfas Drifters eat caliche for breakfast. (Do real men eat caliche?)

I have a pair of them and they are great for dirt, gravel, and pavement. Plus, they make cool suction-cuppy noises when the pavement is wet.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    ^^ CB: Does the bike stand up on wet pavement with no kickstand, too? I picture these octopus tentacle suction cup tread elements. Doubtful, but posting at stops in the wet would be a snap.

Name:  Serfas Drifter.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  7.8 KB

Almost has suckers. Cool.

BrianMc

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I don't know what size wheel you have, but I always seem to recommend Nanoraptors.

mtbr member
    I have RNR tires and they rock the schizzle on anything! I ride mine on pavement all the time and they aren't any slower than the Paselas my Casseroll came with. I am actually getting a Big Dummy in a few weeks and wanted the RNR tires on it until I realized we are talking 26er tires on that vs 700c on my Cass.

I Ride for Donuts
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    ^^ CB: Does the bike stand up on wet pavement with no kickstand, too? I picture these octopus tentacle suction cup tread elements. Doubtful, but posting at stops in the wet would be a snap.

Almost has suckers. Cool.

BrianMc
    Doesn't quite stand up on it's own, but as you lean into a corner, the suction-cuppy popping noise becomes more pronounced. It's totally worth riding them just for those wet days. You feel like George Jetson.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Small Block 8? Pretty fast on pavement and good enough on harder surfaces. Doesnt last so long on concrete though.

Maxxis Ikon is my go to recommendation but not sure what tires do best on caliche. I'd say they roll as fast as the SB8s on and offroad but offer a ton more feedback and cornering ability. Wont last too long on pavement.

mtbr member
    I highly recommend Continental Tour Ride. They come in various sizes and widths. When high pressure, they are slick-for dirt you lower the pressure and have some traction. They last along time. The Town and Country tire is great too if you have 26" wheels and want higher volume.

My second suggestion would be Halo Twin Rails. Originally a dirt jumping tire they make them with same design for commuting now too. Same idea as the above tires where at high pressure you are riding smooth and lower pressure you get traction.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I should have mentioned these need heavy duty sidewalls as such. I wish that Ikon had a heavy duty version

mtbr member
    Ikon comes with EXO protection as an option and has held up great on our local rocky trails.

mtbr member
    +1 for small block 8's. they roll smooth on pavement and grip everything except the really wet or really sandy stuff. i've heard a lot of complaints about their life on pavement, but i got 1200 miles out of a set of them last year. maybe they didn't used to make them with dual tread compound, i dunno.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    1200 miles ain't crap. That's why they were complaining. Better to replace tires a lot than to fall on your ass though.