Thread: Tire advise

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Tire advise

I'm not sure where to post this, I need tire advise.

I had a Fuji Roubaix road bike (sold this morning) that I used to commute to and from work (15 miles each way) and for road ridding. Last week my GF bought a Scattante cyclocross bike on close out and I ordered a Specialized Tricross.

We are going to use these bikes primarily as road bikes, some gravel/crushed limestone trails, we want to ride a few centuries this year. I'm also going to use mine to commute to work when weather is nice.

So far we've been looking at Specialized Borough CX Sports, Specialized Borough CX Pros, and Continental Gatorskins.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I like the Schwalbe Marathon Cross 700x38s on my Cross Check. I have a set of 700x25 Gatorskins as well if I know I'm sticking to the paved roads. The Schwalbes go everywhere smoothly, and I really like the reflective sidewall as an added bonus.

mtbr member
    Sounds like its hard to go wrong with Schwalbes if you can afford them. If you can't (or don't want the investment in tires even though it sounds like they last longe enough to justify it), I will mention the Michelin City (about 800 gm) in 700-35 on my errand bike ( also have reflective sidewalls) have stood up well for me so far, but at 1000 miles I have only just worn off the casting thingies. As their name implies more of a City Bike multi-use tire than cross. I have done a very little gravel and mud with them and was pleased given they have only a modicum of tread. I can't fit bigger but their comment about it being a good urban trail tire seems accurate.