mtbr member

Three blown spokes in two weeks.

Bike is 6.6 months old with 1,979 miles on it. First spoke blew out two weeks ago. Had it replaced, the whole wheel retensioned and trued.

This morning on the way to work I hear...PRANG...and then a few strokes later PRANG. I'm no lightweight though I've lost 15 lbs, with me and gear my rig is supporting about 240lbs. But...why do I keep losing spokes? They are snapping off right at the hub.

I spoke to the shop, they don't have a 700c disc wheel loaner, but Orbea is good about these kinds of things...my commuter rig will be down until they handle the warranty.

Agh!
    Phillipians 2:3-8 "...but (Christ) made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant..."

I Ride for Donuts
    There's a lot of forces at work there. I've had wheels where once one goes, another one is soon to follow. I don't think the "whole wheels retensioned" thing happened when you had the first one replaced. Or if it did happen, they had to do some uneven tensioning to compensate for a hop or a wobble in the rim.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

psycho cyclo addict
    It happens...

After ~7 months of riding on a used single speed wheel set, I blew 4 drive side spokes in the rear wheel within a few weeks. It's been probably 7 months since I replaced the last broken one and no more have suffered the same fate.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I think you mentioned disc brakes, so the below may or may not apply, as I am not up on lacing disc brake wheels.

I found on my old Raleigh Competition bike that I purchased new from a LBS had the rear wheel built incorrectly, at least to my way of thinking. It had the pulling spokes (while pedaling) coming out of the inside of the hub flange. I always build my wheels with the pulling spokes wrapping over the outside of the hub flange. I figured the LBS knew more than I did, so left the wheel like that. Within the first year, I started losing spokes left and right. I would be coasting along on flat, smooth pavement and PING, there goes another one.

So I picked up a box of spokes and re-laced the wheels "my way", and now almost 30 years later, still running those same spokes, have not lost a single one.

On my new disc brake cross bike, I have 2 sets of wheels, one (Stans) is laced how I like it and the other (Vuelta) is laced opposite and have not had any broken spokes on either set of wheels in about 1700 miles of hard riding on and off pavement in about 7 months now.

weirdo
    I was wondering where you`ve been. Now I know- replacing spokes!
    I dunno why they`re breaking either, have never managed to break one myself. Were all the breaks on the same side of the same wheel? Out of curiosity, how many total spokes, what lacing, and do you know what gauge spokes?
    Recalculating....

jrm
    mtbr member

Never had the wheels retensioned?

bummer the LBS forget or never mention how critical this is.
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

mtbr member
    I was off the bike for 2.5 days. Rode in this morning, the shop completely tore it down and rebuilt it with all new spokes for free. Kudos to Cycles Unlimited in Springfield, MO.

Sure felt good to be back on the bike.
    Phillipians 2:3-8 "...but (Christ) made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant..."

Keep it Simple Stupid!!!

Run 36 spoke wheels and Brass Spoke Nipples in the rear

Have a 36 spoke 3 crosspattern wheel built with brass Nipples. If you are putting in those kind of miles the money will be well spent. Front wheels tend to be subject to far less abuse so if the front ant broke you should be good to go. Oh also consider, if you are running a 29in wheel set, the spokes are longer and farther apart = a weaker wheel, then you really need the 4 extra spokes.
    SF
    Last edited by Steel Freak; 05-12-2013 at 05:25 PM.
    Who cares how much gas you save, ride your bike to work because it's fun!!!!!!!

Not uncommon for the whole wheel to go after you break one. It's happened to me. Fortunately, after the three broke, it has been solid. Still, that wheelset has been moved to my wife's mtb, and she's a lighter rider than I am (both in actual weight and riding style - she stresses them less overall).

I would bet that the fix had to be done with some uneven spoke tension to get the desired result, so a complete re-lace was probably the way to go once other spokes started going.

mtbr member
    I wonder if the size of the tire you run has anything to do with it? When I was running 45cm tires I occasionally would lose a spoke, but when I changed to 2.3 inch tire on the same rim, no problems.
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.