mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Thinking about commuting, need a little bike advice

Hi all,
    I'm thinking about commuting from my home in the Bronx to work in Manhattan. It's about a nine-mile ride, all on-road but over the obligatory crap NYC pavement. I have three bikes I could use for the commute: My new Cannondale Rush, a full-rigid Bridgestone MB-6 and a mid-'70s Motobecane Super Mirage road bike. The Bridgestone would be the easy choice, but it's a little small (I need an XL or XXL frame and it's a L). Any thoughts? Should I just forget about these three and buy something new?
    Thanks!
    David

PS: I'll have inside storage for my bike for now, but that may change.

local trails rider
    A road bike is generally the fastest on pavement. What sort of tyres can you fit on the Motobecane?

I would dedicate the Rush to trails only.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    It's an oldie with 27" wheels. I would assume that a 27 x 1 1/4 or 1 3/8 would be the biggest tire I could run.
    Thanks!
    David

No-Brakes Cougar
    You could easily make your Bridgestone into a comfort/commuter by adding a longer quill, riser bars and a longer seat post. That's what I did with my Trek, which is also a little small.
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I have the longer seat post, but where might I find the quill? Thanks a lot!
    David

No-Brakes Cougar
    Nashbar has them in different sizes at a pretty reasonable price, that's where I got mine. That's assuming you have a threaded stem, based on the age of your bike?
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I'm 6ft 3in with a 34 inseam and I'm riding a 20 inch 2008 Kona Fire Mountain with studded tires for the winter this year. I had the original seatpost (about 330mm) maxed out, so I upgraded to the Bontrager something-Earl post at 400mm to ensure I don't get a top tube-seat tube weld failure. Otherwise it fits great.

On the trails I ride a 19.5in 2008? Fisher Big Sur frame with a 400mm Bont Race Lite seat post and...interesting... 120mm Origin 8 stem. The stem puts me in a good riding position but feels seriously funky. I think that I would be better suited to run a 110mm stem, might have to do something about that later...

Anyways, obviously these frames are slightly too small for me (although the Kona is really growing on me!), I used to run a 22.5" Raleigh M60 (1994 vintage!) and a mid-90's DB Outlook (far from stock) in the same size for winter. Those bikes fit much better without the 'supersized' parts, but were heavier and, well, its damned hard to find anything that big used in my area.

I guess in summation, if you like your bridgestone I'd say rock it out. I miss the days of commuting on a fully rigid MTB. I've been tempted to swap out the Dart one on my winter bike for a rigid, but don't know of a raked/curved cromo forks that will compensate for a suspension fork frame...
    For Sale: Cateye Triple Shot, modified with high output emitters!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Cool, thanks for the advice! Buck, I'm your size and was riding the Bridgestone until I picked up my Cannondale. It sounds like it won't take too much work to make it fit. Gary, it does have a threaded stem and I'll be checking out Nashbar.
    David